Need Help with Olympus C700 Power Problem

fred

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

I would sure appreciate hearing from someone who had this problem and FIXED
it.

I have a C-700 which is about 18 months old. My problem isn't
ordinary battery drain, rather what I suspect to be some kind of short
circuit. Newly inserted batteries, alkaline or (brand new, fully
charged NiMH) re-chargeables only work for a picture or two. I can
open the compartment door, rub the contacts a bit, and get maybe one
more picture, maybe not.

I posted this query about a month ago, and got a suggestion clean the
contacts, check the springs, etc. I have done this and the contact points
are all good & clean. No change in performance.

Already checked the obvious -- tried several new batteries and all act the
same, batteries are not in backwards, etc. The problem is with the camera,
I know that for sure.

Thanks in advance!

Fred wrote:

> I would sure appreciate hearing from someone who had this problem and FIXED
> it.
>
> I have a C-700 which is about 18 months old. My problem isn't
> ordinary battery drain, rather what I suspect to be some kind of short
> circuit. Newly inserted batteries, alkaline or (brand new, fully
> charged NiMH) re-chargeables only work for a picture or two. I can
> open the compartment door, rub the contacts a bit, and get maybe one
> more picture, maybe not.
>
> I posted this query about a month ago, and got a suggestion clean the
> contacts, check the springs, etc. I have done this and the contact points
> are all good & clean. No change in performance.
>
> Already checked the obvious -- tried several new batteries and all act the
> same, batteries are not in backwards, etc. The problem is with the camera,
> I know that for sure.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Fred

Hi again, Fred...

Now that you've tried NiMh's you've kinda narrowed it
down a bit... don't know how much it helps, but perhaps
worth knowing anyway.

If you can deplete charged NiMh's in only one picture,
then when you removed the batteries they'd be blistering
hot. You'd probably also hear them sizzling.

If they aren't too hot to even think of touching, then
you've narrowed it down to the camera merely reporting
them useless prematurely.

It's a start? :)

Ken

"Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> I would sure appreciate hearing from someone who had this problem and
FIXED
> it.
>
> I have a C-700 which is about 18 months old. My problem isn't
> ordinary battery drain, rather what I suspect to be some kind of short
> circuit. Newly inserted batteries, alkaline or (brand new, fully
> charged NiMH) re-chargeables only work for a picture or two. I can
> open the compartment door, rub the contacts a bit, and get maybe one
> more picture, maybe not.
>
> I posted this query about a month ago, and got a suggestion clean the
> contacts, check the springs, etc. I have done this and the contact
points
> are all good & clean. No change in performance.
>
> Already checked the obvious -- tried several new batteries and all act
the
> same, batteries are not in backwards, etc. The problem is with the
camera,
> I know that for sure.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Fred

Any electronics technician with a multimeter can clip-lead your batteries
thru the meter into your camera, and read the current drain the camera is
putting on them in a few minutes. This will tell you why your batteries are
running down. Then, you can send the camera in for repair, and tell the
repair tech that it is drawing "X number of amperes at idle, and you need to
get it fixed." If your batteries are 2000 milliampere-hour batteries, (for
example) and the camera is drawing 4 amps, then the batteries are only going
to last 30 minutes before they are stone cold dead. A camera should only
draw current when it is taking or displaying a picture. When it is idling,
or turned off, it should draw little or no current off of its battery
set.....

"Ken Weitzel" <kweitzel@shaw.ca> wrote in message

> Hi again, Fred...
>
> Now that you've tried NiMh's you've kinda narrowed it
> down a bit... don't know how much it helps, but perhaps
> worth knowing anyway.
>
> If you can deplete charged NiMh's in only one picture,
> then when you removed the batteries they'd be blistering
> hot. You'd probably also hear them sizzling.
>
> If they aren't too hot to even think of touching, then
> you've narrowed it down to the camera merely reporting
> them useless prematurely.
>
> It's a start? :)
>
> Ken

Thanks again, Ken. Yep, it's the camera that's the problem all right - not
the batteries. Batteries aren't being depleted. Camera sees "good"
batteries as "bad."

"William Graham" <weg9@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> > I would sure appreciate hearing from someone who had this problem and
> FIXED
> > it.
> >
> > I have a C-700 which is about 18 months old. My problem isn't
> > ordinary battery drain, rather what I suspect to be some kind of short
> > circuit. Newly inserted batteries, alkaline or (brand new, fully
> > charged NiMH) re-chargeables only work for a picture or two. I can
> > open the compartment door, rub the contacts a bit, and get maybe one
> > more picture, maybe not.
> >
> > I posted this query about a month ago, and got a suggestion clean the
> > contacts, check the springs, etc. I have done this and the contact
> points
> > are all good & clean. No change in performance.
> >
> > Already checked the obvious -- tried several new batteries and all act
> the
> > same, batteries are not in backwards, etc. The problem is with the
> camera,
> > I know that for sure.
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > Fred
> >

> Any electronics technician with a multimeter can clip-lead your batteries
> thru the meter into your camera, and read the current drain the camera is
> putting on them in a few minutes. This will tell you why your batteries
are
> running down. Then, you can send the camera in for repair, and tell the
> repair tech that it is drawing "X number of amperes at idle, and you need
> get it fixed." If your batteries are 2000 milliampere-hour batteries, (for
> example) and the camera is drawing 4 amps, then the batteries are only
going
> to last 30 minutes before they are stone cold dead. A camera should only
> draw current when it is taking or displaying a picture. When it is idling,
> or turned off, it should draw little or no current off of its battery
> set.....

Are you guys not able to read????

1 - Batteries are fine! They check out fine with meter and other devices.

2 - Batteries are not being drained by camera. The camera circuitry is not
seeing the voltage from the batteries.

3 - Battery contacts are fine. Making good contact and they are clean.

4 - The problem is with the CAMERA -- not the batteries.

5 - Can we drop the "check the batteries" discussion now?

6 - Looks like I picked the wrong day to stop smoking!

B^)

Fred
One more time ...

> "William Graham" <weg9@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> > > I would sure appreciate hearing from someone who had this problem and
> > FIXED
> > > it.
> > >
> > > I have a C-700 which is about 18 months old. My problem isn't
> > > ordinary battery drain, rather what I suspect to be some kind of short
> > > circuit. Newly inserted batteries, alkaline or (brand new, fully
> > > charged NiMH) re-chargeables only work for a picture or two. I can
> > > open the compartment door, rub the contacts a bit, and get maybe one
> > > more picture, maybe not.
> > >
> > > I posted this query about a month ago, and got a suggestion clean the
> > > contacts, check the springs, etc. I have done this and the contact
> > points
> > > are all good & clean. No change in performance.
> > >
> > > Already checked the obvious -- tried several new batteries and all
act
> > the
> > > same, batteries are not in backwards, etc. The problem is with the
> > camera,
> > > I know that for sure.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance!
> > >
> > > Fred
> > >

> > Any electronics technician with a multimeter can clip-lead your
batteries
> > thru the meter into your camera, and read the current drain the camera
is
> > putting on them in a few minutes. This will tell you why your batteries
> are
> > running down. Then, you can send the camera in for repair, and tell the
> > repair tech that it is drawing "X number of amperes at idle, and you
need
> > get it fixed." If your batteries are 2000 milliampere-hour batteries,
(for
> > example) and the camera is drawing 4 amps, then the batteries are only
> going
> > to last 30 minutes before they are stone cold dead. A camera should only
> > draw current when it is taking or displaying a picture. When it is
idling,
> > or turned off, it should draw little or no current off of its battery
> > set.....
>
> Are you guys not able to read????
>
> 1 - Batteries are fine! They check out fine with meter and other devices.
>
> 2 - Batteries are not being drained by camera. The camera circuitry is
not
> seeing the voltage from the batteries.
>
> 3 - Battery contacts are fine. Making good contact and they are clean.
>
> 4 - The problem is with the CAMERA -- not the batteries.
>
> 5 - Can we drop the "check the batteries" discussion now?
>
> 6 - Looks like I picked the wrong day to stop smoking!
>
> B^)
>
> Fred
> One more time ...

Apparently you are the one with the reading problem.....I did not suggest
that the problem was not with the camera. I mearly suggested that you
measure the rate at which your DEFECTIVE CAMERA was draining down the
batteries, so you could tell the repair facility when you bring them the
camera. If nothing else, they will know that you have taken the trouble to
find out that the problem is really with the camera, and you are not just
trying to run it with bad batteries.

fred

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

"William Graham" <weg9@comcast.net> wrote

> Apparently you are the one with the reading problem.....I did not suggest
> that the problem was not with the camera. I mearly suggested that you
> measure the rate at which your DEFECTIVE CAMERA was draining down the
> batteries, so you could tell the repair facility when you bring them the
> camera. If nothing else, they will know that you have taken the trouble to
> find out that the problem is really with the camera, and you are not just
> trying to run it with bad batteries.

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood, what with the current preoccupation everyone
seems to have with checking batteries. Thanks for the suggestion.

You're not THEE Billy Graham are you? If so, can you heal my camera? (Don't
need to heal the batteries -- they're fine.)

> "William Graham" <weg9@comcast.net> wrote
>
> > Apparently you are the one with the reading problem.....I did not
suggest
> > that the problem was not with the camera. I mearly suggested that you
> > measure the rate at which your DEFECTIVE CAMERA was draining down the
> > batteries, so you could tell the repair facility when you bring them the
> > camera. If nothing else, they will know that you have taken the trouble
> > find out that the problem is really with the camera, and you are not
just
> > trying to run it with bad batteries.
>
> Sorry, I guess I misunderstood, what with the current preoccupation
everyone
> seems to have with checking batteries. Thanks for the suggestion.
>
> You're not THEE Billy Graham are you? If so, can you heal my camera?
(Don't
> need to heal the batteries -- they're fine.)

No, not related to him or anyone famous.....I had a cousin who used to know
Clark Gable.........Does that count?

> "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> > "William Graham" <weg9@comcast.net> wrote
> >
> > > Apparently you are the one with the reading problem.....I did not
> suggest
> > > that the problem was not with the camera. I mearly suggested that you
> > > measure the rate at which your DEFECTIVE CAMERA was draining down the
> > > batteries, so you could tell the repair facility when you bring them
the
> > > camera. If nothing else, they will know that you have taken the
trouble
> > > find out that the problem is really with the camera, and you are not
> just
> > > trying to run it with bad batteries.
> >
> > Sorry, I guess I misunderstood, what with the current preoccupation
> everyone
> > seems to have with checking batteries. Thanks for the suggestion.
> >
> > You're not THEE Billy Graham are you? If so, can you heal my camera?
> (Don't
> > need to heal the batteries -- they're fine.)
> >

> No, not related to him or anyone famous.....I had a cousin who used to
know
> Clark Gable.........Does that count?

Heck yes!! That counts!!

fred

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

Back on topic.....

I will pay $100 for a REAL service manual on the C-700. Photocopy OK.

If you can get your hands on one, send me an email at
lexmark8792@yahoo.com.

Thanks.

Fred

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

Gerry Gibbs Camerahouse in Perth have one second hand in the box. You would
be better off buying that one considering al lthe time and effort you have
put into your old one.

"Ed" <ckss@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Fred wrote:
> > Back on topic.....
> >
> > I will pay $100 for a REAL service manual on the C-700. Photocopy OK.
> >
> > If you can get your hands on one, send me an email at
> > lexmark8792@yahoo.com.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Fred
> >

> Try this.
> http://www.shortcourses.com/guides/pdf/c-700.pdf

pluto

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2001
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

try this one,
http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/manual/

On 9/7/04 11:50 PM, in article _jv%c.9489$x12.4174@trnddc05, "Fred"
<testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote:

> I would sure appreciate hearing from someone who had this problem and FIXED
> it.
>
> I have a C-700 which is about 18 months old. My problem isn't
> ordinary battery drain, rather what I suspect to be some kind of short
> circuit. Newly inserted batteries, alkaline or (brand new, fully
> charged NiMH) re-chargeables only work for a picture or two. I can
> open the compartment door, rub the contacts a bit, and get maybe one
> more picture, maybe not.
>
> I posted this query about a month ago, and got a suggestion clean the
> contacts, check the springs, etc. I have done this and the contact points
> are all good & clean. No change in performance.
>
> Already checked the obvious -- tried several new batteries and all act the
> same, batteries are not in backwards, etc. The problem is with the camera,
> I know that for sure.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Fred

Hi Fred,
I belong to a couple of yahoo discussion groups on the C7X0 cameras. You
might be able to find someone there who can help you.

One of the members has a pictorial guide to taking apart the C700 here:
http://www.pbase.com/ociepka/camera

HTH,
NB

fred

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

Holy smokes!! That's great, Ed! Excellent manual to have on hand. Didn't
see any troubleshooting or service info though.

Fred

"Ed" <ckss@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Fred wrote:
> > Back on topic.....
> >
> > I will pay $100 for a REAL service manual on the C-700. Photocopy OK.
> >
> > If you can get your hands on one, send me an email at
> > lexmark8792@yahoo.com.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Fred
> >

> Try this.
> http://www.shortcourses.com/guides/pdf/c-700.pdf

fred

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

Thanks. How can I get in touch with them?

"Wolf359" <noonecares@tnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Gerry Gibbs Camerahouse in Perth have one second hand in the box. You
would
> be better off buying that one considering al lthe time and effort you have
> put into your old one.
>

> "Ed" <ckss@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Fred wrote:
> > > Back on topic.....
> > >
> > > I will pay $100 for a REAL service manual on the C-700. Photocopy OK.
> > >
> > > If you can get your hands on one, send me an email at
> > > lexmark8792@yahoo.com.
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > Fred
> > >

> > Try this.
> > http://www.shortcourses.com/guides/pdf/c-700.pdf

fred

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

Also a good one! But still only operator info.

"pluto" <pluto@pluto.nl> wrote in message
> try this one,
> http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/manual/
> "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> > Back on topic.....
> >
> > I will pay $100 for a REAL service manual on the C-700. Photocopy OK.
> >
> > If you can get your hands on one, send me an email at
> > lexmark8792@yahoo.com.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Fred

fred

All three excellent links, Nelly!!! I signed up for the C700 group. Many,
many thanks!!