Can't sync Jornada 548

May 11, 2004 4:06:31 AM

I've suddenly acquired a problem with my Jornada 548. When I try
to sync I get an error message saying:
"No Carrier
Cannot start communications with the desktop computer. No carrier was
detected on the communications port. Please verify that the
communications line is connected and active".

I've used the USB port for other things since the problem started.
I've tried syncing through two different cables. Any suggestions what to
try next?

Martin

More about : sync jornada 548

Anonymous
May 11, 2004 4:06:32 AM

On Tue, 11 May 2004 00:06:31 +0100, Martin Watts
<martin_s_swatts@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I've suddenly acquired a problem with my Jornada 548. When I try
>to sync I get an error message saying:
>"No Carrier
>Cannot start communications with the desktop computer. No carrier was
>detected on the communications port. Please verify that the
>communications line is connected and active".
>
> I've used the USB port for other things since the problem started.
>I've tried syncing through two different cables. Any suggestions what to
>try next?

Check your connection settings in ActiveSync (File -> Connection
Settings), and also on the Pocket PC (under Start -> ActiveSync, Tools
-> Options - ensure that "`USB" is selected.

--
Rob Borek
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices

In article <9jf0a01hikcb4dakbnp8n5de45l7vitpm2@4ax.com>,
r_borek@hotmail.com says...
> On Tue, 11 May 2004 00:06:31 +0100, Martin Watts
> <martin_s_swatts@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I've suddenly acquired a problem with my Jornada 548. When I try
> >to sync I get an error message saying:
> >"No Carrier
> >Cannot start communications with the desktop computer. No carrier was
> >detected on the communications port. Please verify that the
> >communications line is connected and active".
> >
> > I've used the USB port for other things since the problem started.
> >I've tried syncing through two different cables. Any suggestions what to
> >try next?
>
> Check your connection settings in ActiveSync (File -> Connection
> Settings), and also on the Pocket PC (under Start -> ActiveSync, Tools
> -> Options - ensure that "`USB" is selected.

Yes, still USB at both ends. Still no joy.

Martin
May 11, 2004 4:29:18 PM

"Martin Watts" <martin_s_swatts@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <9jf0a01hikcb4dakbnp8n5de45l7vitpm2@4ax.com>,
> r_borek@hotmail.com says...
>> On Tue, 11 May 2004 00:06:31 +0100, Martin Watts
>> <martin_s_swatts@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I've suddenly acquired a problem with my Jornada 548. When I try
>> >to sync I get an error message saying:
>> >"No Carrier
>> >Cannot start communications with the desktop computer. No carrier was
>> >detected on the communications port. Please verify that the
>> >communications line is connected and active".
>> >
>> > I've used the USB port for other things since the problem started.
>> >I've tried syncing through two different cables. Any suggestions what to
>> >try next?
>>
>> Check your connection settings in ActiveSync (File -> Connection
>> Settings), and also on the Pocket PC (under Start -> ActiveSync, Tools
>> -> Options - ensure that "`USB" is selected.
>
> Yes, still USB at both ends. Still no joy.
>
> Martin

Hi Martin,

Did you try performing a soft reset on your Jornada ?

--
Regards,
Raj

In article <#NMb2XyNEHA.1388@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,
YouMeAndTheMail@Softhome.net says...

> "Martin Watts" <martin_s_swatts@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > In article <9jf0a01hikcb4dakbnp8n5de45l7vitpm2@4ax.com>,
> > r_borek@hotmail.com says...

> >> Check your connection settings in ActiveSync (File -> Connection
> >> Settings), and also on the Pocket PC (under Start -> ActiveSync, Tools
> >> -> Options - ensure that "`USB" is selected.
> >
> > Yes, still USB at both ends. Still no joy.
> >
> > Martin
>
> Hi Martin,
>
> Did you try performing a soft reset on your Jornada ?

Hi Raj. Yes, I've performed a soft reset to no effect. Still no
carrier.
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 4:02:02 AM

In article <MPG.1b0b048759ca12f49896de@news.tiscali.co.uk>,
martin_s_swatts@hotmail.com says...
> In article <#NMb2XyNEHA.1388@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,
> YouMeAndTheMail@Softhome.net says...
> >
> > "Martin Watts" <martin_s_swatts@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > In article <9jf0a01hikcb4dakbnp8n5de45l7vitpm2@4ax.com>,
> > > r_borek@hotmail.com says...

> > > Yes, still USB at both ends. Still no joy.
> > >
> > > Martin
> >
> > Hi Martin,
> >
> > Did you try performing a soft reset on your Jornada ?
> >

> Hi Raj. Yes, I've performed a soft reset to no effect. Still no
> carrier.

Since my last post I've managed to sync via IR so the immediate
crisis is over. Obviously I'd like to get back to using USB so any
further suggestions would be helpful.

Martin
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 4:02:03 AM

On Wed, 12 May 2004 00:02:02 +0100, Martin Watts
<martin_s_swatts@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Since my last post I've managed to sync via IR so the immediate
>crisis is over. Obviously I'd like to get back to using USB so any
>further suggestions would be helpful.

When cradled, does it show up in Device Manager(it's under Control
Panel -> System, Devices tab in Win2k/XP)? If it does, can you delete
the device, then recradle it and see if that helps? Can you also try
switching the USB port the device is plugged into?

--
Rob Borek
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices
Want *ONE ON ONE* support? http://www.pocketpcone2one.com
Please place all replies into the newsgroup so that others can benefit.
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 1:11:04 AM

In article <ig23a05jqkkug8ai4oaiaee37jnnjanqnp@4ax.com>,
r_borek@hotmail.com says...

> When cradled, does it show up in Device Manager(it's under Control
> Panel -> System, Devices tab in Win2k/XP)? If it does, can you delete
> the device, then recradle it and see if that helps? Can you also try
> switching the USB port the device is plugged into?

What should it show up as? I'm not familiar with the device
manager so I don't know how it should look.

Martin
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 9:44:03 PM

On Wed, 12 May 2004 21:11:04 +0100, Martin Watts
<martin_s_swatts@hotmail.com> wrote:

>In article <ig23a05jqkkug8ai4oaiaee37jnnjanqnp@4ax.com>,
>r_borek@hotmail.com says...
>>
>> When cradled, does it show up in Device Manager(it's under Control
>> Panel -> System, Devices tab in Win2k/XP)? If it does, can you delete
>> the device, then recradle it and see if that helps? Can you also try
>> switching the USB port the device is plugged into?
>
> What should it show up as? I'm not familiar with the device
>manager so I don't know how it should look.

It should show up either as "Windows CE" or "Pocket PC" or "Jornada
548" or something similar to the above.

--
Rob Borek
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices
Want *ONE ON ONE* support? http://www.pocketpcone2one.com
Please place all replies into the newsgroup so that others can benefit.
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 10:52:34 AM

In article <ig23a05jqkkug8ai4oaiaee37jnnjanqnp@4ax.com>,
r_borek@hotmail.com says...
> On Wed, 12 May 2004 00:02:02 +0100, Martin Watts
> <martin_s_swatts@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Since my last post I've managed to sync via IR so the immediate
> >crisis is over. Obviously I'd like to get back to using USB so any
> >further suggestions would be helpful.
>
> When cradled, does it show up in Device Manager(it's under Control
> Panel -> System, Devices tab in Win2k/XP)? If it does, can you delete
> the device, then recradle it and see if that helps? Can you also try
> switching the USB port the device is plugged into?

Rob:

OK, it doesn't seem to show up. I've tried changing from one USB
port to another (I have one built in port and two USB 2.0 ports on a
PCMCIA card) but that didn't help either. I can use my USB ports to
connect other devices (such as my Palm or a card reader that I've used to
load files straight to the memory card I use with the Jornada). I'd worry
about the cradle but I've tried using a Belkin synchronisation cable as
well without any luck.

Martin
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 10:17:55 PM

Martin Watts <martin_s_swatts@hotmail.com>
posted...

> I can use my USB ports to
> connect other devices (such as my Palm or a card reader that I've used to
> load files straight to the memory card I use with the Jornada). I'd worry
> about the cradle but I've tried using a > Belkin synchronisation cable as
well without any luck.

Sorry- I came in to this thread late, so pardon me if this was already discussed.. .Does the Jornada itself have a USB/Serial selection in ActiveSync like my Axim? In ActiveSync (on the Jornada, not your PC) look in Tools/Options/PC/Options and see if under "When Cradled" you have 'USB Default' selected, or one of the serial options (115200k, 56k, 19200, Bluetooth etc.) Make sure USB is selected and try again.

Good luck.

On the bright side, IR sync'ing, while tedious, really keeps your desk neater- at my house, the ability to sync/transfer files to and fro seven different brands and models of PPCs, Palms, cameras and cellphones without a single serial or USB cable or cradle (other than a one serial IR dongle) means never having to scream "where's the @#!%^&$ cable!" ;-)
Anonymous
May 15, 2004 1:06:45 AM

In article <75db4fa1e0a04940d80b04ff82f06e73@news.teranews.com>,
elecconnec@aol.com says...
> Martin Watts <martin_s_swatts@hotmail.com>
> posted...
>
> > I can use my USB ports to
> > connect other devices (such as my Palm or a card reader that I've used to
> > load files straight to the memory card I use with the Jornada). I'd worry
> > about the cradle but I've tried using a > Belkin synchronisation cable as
> well without any luck.
>
> Sorry- I came in to this thread late, so pardon me if this was already
discussed.. .Does the Jornada itself have a USB/Serial selection in
ActiveSync like my Axim? In ActiveSync (on the Jornada, not your PC)
look in Tools/Options/PC/Options and see if under "When Cradled" you have
'USB Default' selected, or one of the serial options (115200k, 56k,
19200, Bluetooth etc.) Make sure USB is selected and try again.

> Good luck.
>
> On the bright side, IR sync'ing, while tedious, really keeps your desk
neater- at my house, the ability to sync/transfer files to and fro seven
different brands and models of PPCs, Palms, cameras and cellphones
without a single serial or USB cable or cradle (other than a one serial
IR dongle) means never having to scream "where's the @#!%^&$ cable!" ;-)

I don't seem to have this option on my ActiveSync - no Tools menu
at all. Is this something added in later versions? This is a year 2000
machine. When I start ActiveSync it comes up with a box saying "Choose a
method to connect to the selected desktop computer", defaulting to USB.

Good point about the clutter though.

Martin
!