Jan

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

Hi

I built pc based on a 'no name' motherboard, 256 crucial memory and a
Seagate hard disk with 3 partitions, running Win XP Pro. The pc worked fine
for a few months before it began developing problems when it booted. It
starts with the odd blue screen and error message like 'page Fault in
non-paged area' and stop messages like 0xC0000218: UNKNOWN_HARD_ERROR. The
machine would eventually boot with a there has been an error screen being
displayed but would then appear to work ok. The booting problem appears to
get worse over time.

Suspecting the Ram I tried running memtest86+ for 24 hours, but no problems
were found.

I tried running chkdsk, both through Windows and via the Windows
installations cd, but the problem continued.

I downloaded Seagate Tools disk checker and it reported file system errors
in the partition used to store 'my documents'.

Tried running chkdsk again, but the Seagate tool still reported a problem.

I reformatted the disk into one partition and reinstalled Windows. The
Seagate tool reports 'passed with inconsistencies, so i run chkdsk again.
Seagate tool now passes the harddisk.

However, I have now run the machine for a day and once again the Seagate
tools are reporting 'passed with inconsistencies. I tried Norton Systemworks
for change and this reported problems with the file structure.

Can anyone suggest the most likely cause of this problem?

Thank you!

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

Seagate and Symantec don't understand NTFS well enough to determine validity.

Stick with chkdsk. Is the system still crashing?

"Jan" <JanetMcDonald67@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I tried running chkdsk, both through Windows and via the Windows
> installations cd, but the problem continued.
>
> I downloaded Seagate Tools disk checker and it reported file system errors
> in the partition used to store 'my documents'.
>
> Tried running chkdsk again, but the Seagate tool still reported a problem.
>
> I reformatted the disk into one partition and reinstalled Windows. The
> Seagate tool reports 'passed with inconsistencies, so i run chkdsk again.
> Seagate tool now passes the harddisk.

jaster

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 08:50:41 +0000, Jan wrote:

> Hi
>
> I built pc based on a 'no name' motherboard, 256 crucial memory and a
> Seagate hard disk with 3 partitions, running Win XP Pro. The pc worked
> fine for a few months before it began developing problems when it booted.
> It starts with the odd blue screen and error message like 'page Fault in
> non-paged area' and stop messages like 0xC0000218: UNKNOWN_HARD_ERROR. The
> machine would eventually boot with a there has been an error screen being
> displayed but would then appear to work ok. The booting problem appears to
> get worse over time.
>
> Suspecting the Ram I tried running memtest86+ for 24 hours, but no
> problems were found.
>
> I tried running chkdsk, both through Windows and via the Windows
> installations cd, but the problem continued.
>
> I downloaded Seagate Tools disk checker and it reported file system errors
> in the partition used to store 'my documents'.
>
> Tried running chkdsk again, but the Seagate tool still reported a problem.
>
> I reformatted the disk into one partition and reinstalled Windows. The
> Seagate tool reports 'passed with inconsistencies, so i run chkdsk again.
> Seagate tool now passes the harddisk.
>
> However, I have now run the machine for a day and once again the Seagate
> tools are reporting 'passed with inconsistencies. I tried Norton
> Systemworks for change and this reported problems with the file structure.
>
> Can anyone suggest the most likely cause of this problem?
>

> Thank you!

http://forums.binarydreams.us/showthread.php?t=5085

JohnS

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

You have a bad hard drive .. probably is just the surface
of the drive disk is going bad .. possibly due to a power
failure that caused a head crash. Most likely due to
vibration scrapes on the disk surface that are now very
bad. Chkdsk should be running slower and slower ..
trying to mark these places. Eventually it will not pass
the drive.

johns

Alan

jaster wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 08:50:41 +0000, Jan wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I built pc based on a 'no name' motherboard, 256 crucial memory and a
>> Seagate hard disk with 3 partitions, running Win XP Pro. The pc
>> worked fine for a few months before it began developing problems
>> when it booted. It starts with the odd blue screen and error message
>> like 'page Fault in non-paged area' and stop messages like
>> 0xC0000218: UNKNOWN_HARD_ERROR. The machine would eventually boot
>> with a there has been an error screen being displayed but would then
>> appear to work ok. The booting problem appears to get worse over
>> time.
>>
>> Suspecting the Ram I tried running memtest86+ for 24 hours, but no
>> problems were found.
>>
>> I tried running chkdsk, both through Windows and via the Windows
>> installations cd, but the problem continued.
>>
>> I downloaded Seagate Tools disk checker and it reported file system
>> errors in the partition used to store 'my documents'.
>>
>> Tried running chkdsk again, but the Seagate tool still reported a
>> problem.
>>
>> I reformatted the disk into one partition and reinstalled Windows.
>> The Seagate tool reports 'passed with inconsistencies, so i run
>> chkdsk again. Seagate tool now passes the harddisk.
>>
>> However, I have now run the machine for a day and once again the
>> Seagate tools are reporting 'passed with inconsistencies. I tried
>> Norton Systemworks for change and this reported problems with the
>> file structure.
>>
>> Can anyone suggest the most likely cause of this problem?
>>

>> Thank you!
>

> http://forums.binarydreams.us/showthread.php?t=5085

I got this after messing about with buffer sizes in an attempt to tune
things, with a lot of fiddling I got it to boot but the only way to get it
running properly again was a rebuild.

--
Alan

alan@lordkhaos.dyndns.org

Jan

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

It isn't crashing at the moment, but before when I rebuilt everything, it
worked fine for 10 days before I saw the first blue screen, then they
increased in frequency until it was taking up to 10 mins to boot.