Video suddenly "jerky" on XP machine

Not long ago I had to have Acer replace my Travelmate 800 with another
identical model because of persistent touchpad problems that Acer
could not resolve any other way. I took a Ghost image of the system
from the old machine and moved it to the new machine.

Two days ago I tried to play an mpg2 video and discovered it played in
an unacceptably "jerky" manner whereas mpg2 had always played smoothly
on the previous machine. I've checked DMA--computer manager shows
transfer is DMA 5 and I updated DirectX but no luck. Any idea where
to turn next???

Is the video card, CPU, and RAM the same as the previous computer?

"Jerry Paquette" <nospampaquette@uwo.ca> schreef in bericht
> Not long ago I had to have Acer replace my Travelmate 800 with another
> identical model because of persistent touchpad problems that Acer
> could not resolve any other way. I took a Ghost image of the system
> from the old machine and moved it to the new machine.
>
> Two days ago I tried to play an mpg2 video and discovered it played in
> an unacceptably "jerky" manner whereas mpg2 had always played smoothly
> on the previous machine. I've checked DMA--computer manager shows
> transfer is DMA 5 and I updated DirectX but no luck. Any idea where
> to turn next???

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Try switching video "hardware acceleration" off.

JanH.

Disabled acceleration from the display tab of dxdialog.exe--no change!

JanH. wrote:

> "Jerry Paquette" <nospampaquette@uwo.ca> schreef in bericht
>
>>Not long ago I had to have Acer replace my Travelmate 800 with another
>>identical model because of persistent touchpad problems that Acer
>>could not resolve any other way. I took a Ghost image of the system
>>from the old machine and moved it to the new machine.
>>
>>Two days ago I tried to play an mpg2 video and discovered it played in
>>an unacceptably "jerky" manner whereas mpg2 had always played smoothly
>>on the previous machine. I've checked DMA--computer manager shows
>>transfer is DMA 5 and I updated DirectX but no luck. Any idea where
>>to turn next???
>

> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> Try switching video "hardware acceleration" off.
>
> JanH.

Identical hardware!

My answer wrote:

> Is the video card, CPU, and RAM the same as the previous computer?
>
> "Jerry Paquette" wrote:
>

>>Not long ago I had to have Acer replace my Travelmate 800 with another
>>identical model because of persistent touchpad problems that Acer
>>could not resolve any other way. I took a Ghost image of the system
>>from the old machine and moved it to the new machine.
>>
>>Two days ago I tried to play an mpg2 video and discovered it played in
>>an unacceptably "jerky" manner whereas mpg2 had always played smoothly
>>on the previous machine. I've checked DMA--computer manager shows
>>transfer is DMA 5 and I updated DirectX but no luck. Any idea where
>>to turn next???

PS--I've also tried reducing resolution and color density.