stupid question

Ok. stupid question.
I am looking for a external case to put in a HD I just removed as the C
drive and replaced with a new one. I still want to get to the data on
this drive, but I don't have internal room for another ide drive.
When I look at the cases, I see they say 2.5, 3.0 and 5.0 inch drives.
What size is an internal ide drive ? I assume the 2.5 is the laptop.

You need a 3,5" disk enclosure for the disk if it was from a desktop or 2,5"
if from a laptop. The 5" is usually for mounting DVDs and the like
externally, as such HDs are not available anymore (maybe ultra hig capacity
disks for server farms)

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You need a 3,5" disk enclosure for the disk if it was from a desktop or
2,5"
> if from a laptop. The 5" is usually for mounting DVDs and the like
> externally, as such HDs are not available anymore (maybe ultra hig
capacity
> disks for server farms)

but you can usually fit a 3.5" drive in a 5.25" case using easily available
mounting brackets. Worth considering for the extra cooling if you don't mind
having a bigger box.