Does this PDA exist?

May 11, 2004 3:59:28 AM

I am looking for a PDA with the following specs. Palm doesn't make one,
maybe the pocket pc folks do.

128mgs of ram
No camera
Wi-fi and bluetooth not needed
Black and white screen is ok.
Ability to sync email (over 20mgs of saved messages and attachments) with
microsoft outlook.

We use ACT! extensively at work, and I believe it the ACT! Link software,
although not as detailed as ACT! for Palm, will indeed work. My desktop
runs Windows 2000 not XP if it makes any difference.

I am aware that I don't get to build my own device, but I want to get as
close to these specs as I can (I know I am dreaming on some of them). Your
suggestions are greatly appreciated.

More about : pda exist

Anonymous
May 11, 2004 4:07:06 AM

Sounds like a candidate for a Blackberry, but that's
just first impression.
There are PPC's with 128MB RAM, namely the HP iPAQ 55xx series.
These come equipped with a 64K Color display, Infrared, Bluetooth,
WiFi, Biometric fingerprint scanner for security, ActiveSync
and Outlook 2002 on CD.
Black&White screens still exist, but on Palms.. I've not been
around long enough to ever see one that still has B&W display.
I can't say anything about connectivity with ACT! however..
Outlook would work since it was built for it.

$0.02

~S.

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.

"grilla" <grilla@swbell.net> wrote:

>I am looking for a PDA with the following specs. Palm doesn't make one,
>maybe the pocket pc folks do.
>
>128mgs of ram
>No camera
>Wi-fi and bluetooth not needed
>Black and white screen is ok.
>Ability to sync email (over 20mgs of saved messages and attachments) with
>microsoft outlook.
>
>We use ACT! extensively at work, and I believe it the ACT! Link software,
>although not as detailed as ACT! for Palm, will indeed work. My desktop
>runs Windows 2000 not XP if it makes any difference.
>
>I am aware that I don't get to build my own device, but I want to get as
>close to these specs as I can (I know I am dreaming on some of them). Your
>suggestions are greatly appreciated.

The 5500 fills that bill, but it has BT and Wifi and a color screen.
By requiring 128MB of RAM, you are really limiting the field. There
are a number of 64MB and even 32MB devices you could add a storage
card to and tell Inbox to store the emails on that. Stay away from the
iPAQ 2200 though. It has a glitch that prevents you from easily
storing email attachments on an SD card.
May 11, 2004 4:27:27 PM

You can visit www.ppctechs.com and check out their 128 and 256 Mb
upgrades. Just find a reasonably prived used ipaq and upgrade it.

H5555 machines still cost >$400. You might be able to get into an
upgraded/used machine for 2/3 of that cost.

"grilla" <grilla@swbell.net> wrote in message news:<AHUnc.25892$bj5.24288@newssvr22.news.prodigy.com>...
> I am looking for a PDA with the following specs. Palm doesn't make one,
> maybe the pocket pc folks do.
>
> 128mgs of ram
> No camera
> Wi-fi and bluetooth not needed
> Black and white screen is ok.
> Ability to sync email (over 20mgs of saved messages and attachments) with
> microsoft outlook.
>
> We use ACT! extensively at work, and I believe it the ACT! Link software,
> although not as detailed as ACT! for Palm, will indeed work. My desktop
> runs Windows 2000 not XP if it makes any difference.
>
> I am aware that I don't get to build my own device, but I want to get as
> close to these specs as I can (I know I am dreaming on some of them). Your
> suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 12:54:39 AM

On 11th May 'chuck' wrote:

> You can visit www.ppctechs.com and check out their 128 and 256 Mb
> upgrades. Just find a reasonably prived used ipaq and upgrade it.

I see that they do a 64MB -> 128MB upgrade for a 1940/45. Anyone in
the UK do this?

--
Bryan Anderson <www.anderson-it.com&gt;
Anonymous

"grilla" <grilla@swbell.net> wrote in message
> I am looking for a PDA with the following specs. Palm doesn't make one,
> maybe the pocket pc folks do.
>
> 128mgs of ram

Why?

There are 128 Mb machines out there.
And in defence of Palm perhaps they don't need the memory ppc's do.
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 1:35:19 AM

On Tuesday, I wrote:

>> You can visit www.ppctechs.com and check out their 128 and 256
>> Mb upgrades. Just find a reasonably prived used ipaq and upgrade
>> it.
>
> I see that they do a 64MB -> 128MB upgrade for a 1940/45. Anyone
> in the UK do this?

Ooops....just noticed the Resellers link and found that Expansys do
it but it takes between three and six weeks! Who can be without the
main organisational tool they own, for up to six weeks?

--
Bryan Anderson <www.anderson-it.com&gt;
!