Getting blue screen stop errors when attempting to backup ..

Hi

I'm using XP Pro SP2.

Just recently my system has been crashing with a series of stop errors - but
it only happens while attempting to do a backup of a large partition.

I curently use Drive Image 7.03 which Ive been happily using since version 3
and never had this problem before. Its only been happening in the last few
weeks. I cant think of anything that has changed on my system which could
cause this.

As I've been unable to run my usual backup utilities I was concerned about
protecting my data so I tried Nero backup and even Winzip and I got stop
errors both times!

Since this problem started Ive found I can back up smaller partitions but it
always fails on anything over 10Gb - and of course thats the partition with
most of my data on!

Ive used the Windows error reporting and been directed to Iomega and
Symantec to obtain updates, which Ive downloaded and installed but the stop
errors still occur.

Now the Windows error reporting just gives me a generic "unable to determine
which driver is the cause".

Given the number of drivers installed on a system I'm at a loss on where to
start.

I realise it could be a lot of work so would appreciate any guidance or tips
or how to systematically weed out the culprit!

Other than this my system works fine.

Has anyone else had this happen and recently? I wonder if its a windows
update or similar thats causing a conflict with and older driver.

Thanks a lot for your time.

Ian

Ian Roberts <sorry@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message

> I'm using XP Pro SP2.

> Just recently my system has been crashing with a series of stop errors - but
> it only happens while attempting to do a backup of a large partition.

> I curently use Drive Image 7.03 which Ive been happily using since version 3
> and never had this problem before. Its only been happening in the last few
> weeks. I cant think of anything that has changed on my system which could
> cause this.

> As I've been unable to run my usual backup utilities I was concerned about
> protecting my data so I tried Nero backup and even Winzip and I got stop
> errors both times!

Most likely there is something fundamentally bad about
the hard drive since you get a problem with 3 completely
different apporaches to accessing that large partition.

See what the XP fault log has to say.

> Since this problem started Ive found I can back up smaller partitions but it
> always fails on anything over 10Gb - and of course thats the partition with
> most of my data on!

Likely because thats where the drive has a problem.

> Ive used the Windows error reporting and been directed to Iomega and Symantec
> to obtain updates, which Ive downloaded and installed but the stop errors
> still occur.

> Now the Windows error reporting just gives me a generic "unable to determine
> which driver is the cause".

> Given the number of drivers installed on a system I'm at a loss on where to
> start.

See above on the fault log.

> I realise it could be a lot of work so would appreciate any guidance or tips
> or how to systematically weed out the culprit!

Try running the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic on the hard drive.

> Other than this my system works fine.

> Has anyone else had this happen and recently? I wonder if its a windows
> update or similar thats causing a conflict with and older driver.

Its more likely to be a hard drive failing. The way to eliminate that
possibility is to run the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic on the drive.