Looking for camera recommondations

Having mentally decided that Cannon S500 was the way to go, I got cold
when it came to ordering due to its price. For me at the moment £250 is a
bit too steep. :(

I'm now looking for a Digital Camera with a budget of a more realistic
£150.

Are there any recommendations for a budget camera. So far I've identified
the Canon PowerShot A75 and the Olympus Mju 400.

Its going to used mainly for family photos. Nothing fancy, just a camera
with the best image quality for the price.

Thank you.

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 20:07:37 +0100, OVS
<aqpnSPremoveAM83@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

>Having mentally decided that Cannon S500 was the way to go, I got cold
>when it came to ordering due to its price. For me at the moment £250 is a
>bit too steep. :(
>
>I'm now looking for a Digital Camera with a budget of a more realistic
>£150.
>
>Are there any recommendations for a budget camera. So far I've identified
>the Canon PowerShot A75 and the Olympus Mju 400.
>
>Its going to used mainly for family photos. Nothing fancy, just a camera
>with the best image quality for the price.
>

>Thank you.

Go with the Canon PowerShot A70 or A75 if you are going to
used mainly for family photos (4X6 or 8X10) this is the perfect
camera. If you are also going to print some photos in 4x6 purchase and
save again go with the A70 model. you will not see any difference in
the quality of the printing (on a good printer ) and did print some
8X10 and yes very good quality finish. Go with the Canon.

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 20:07:37 +0100, OVS wrote:

> Having mentally decided that Cannon S500 was the way to go, I got cold
> when it came to ordering due to its price. For me at the moment £250 is a
> bit too steep. :(
>
> I'm now looking for a Digital Camera with a budget of a more realistic
> £150.
>
> Are there any recommendations for a budget camera. So far I've identified
> the Canon PowerShot A75 and the Olympus Mju 400.
>
> Its going to used mainly for family photos. Nothing fancy, just a camera
> with the best image quality for the price.
>

> Thank you.

Just a follow-up, I've added the Ixus i to the shortlist. Any thoughts on
this camera?

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 17:46:47 -0400, R.T. wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 20:07:37 +0100, OVS
> <aqpnSPremoveAM83@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
>
>>Having mentally decided that Cannon S500 was the way to go, I got cold
>>when it came to ordering due to its price. For me at the moment £250 is a

> Go with the Canon PowerShot A70 or A75 if you are going to
> used mainly for family photos (4X6 or 8X10) this is the perfect
> camera. If you are also going to print some photos in 4x6 purchase and
> save again go with the A70 model. you will not see any difference in
> the quality of the printing (on a good printer ) and did print some
> 8X10 and yes very good quality finish. Go with the Canon.

Thanks for the reply R.T. Strangely the A70 from my searches on
www.dealtime.co.uk show it to be about £30 more expensive than the A75.
On your recommendation and many reviews I'm favouring the A75. My only
reservation is that it takes batteries and rechargeable via a cradle.

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 23:41:51 +0100, OVS wrote:

> On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 17:46:47 -0400, R.T. wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 20:07:37 +0100, OVS
>> <aqpnSPremoveAM83@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Having mentally decided that Cannon S500 was the way to go, I got cold
>>>when it came to ordering due to its price. For me at the moment £250 is a
>

>> Go with the Canon PowerShot A70 or A75 if you are going to
>> used mainly for family photos (4X6 or 8X10) this is the perfect
>> camera. If you are also going to print some photos in 4x6 purchase and
>> save again go with the A70 model. you will not see any difference in
>> the quality of the printing (on a good printer ) and did print some
>> 8X10 and yes very good quality finish. Go with the Canon.
>
> Thanks for the reply R.T. Strangely the A70 from my searches on
> www.dealtime.co.uk show it to be about £30 more expensive than the A75.
> On your recommendation and many reviews I'm favouring the A75. My only
> reservation is that it takes batteries and rechargeable via a cradle.

Whoops! Sorry that line should be 'My only reservation is that it takes
batteries instead of being rechargeable via a cradle.'

Alan

> Whoops! Sorry that line should be 'My only reservation is that it takes
> batteries instead of being rechargeable via a cradle.'

That's a feature in my book - using standard AA's instead of a unique
expensive battery which must be charged via a dedicated charger.
I also have an A75 and highly reccomend it. I bought it as a pocket-sized
alterative to my Canon 300D SLR which is just too big to take everywhere.

Alan.

OVS wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 23:41:51 +0100, OVS wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 17:46:47 -0400, R.T. wrote:

>>> Go with the Canon PowerShot A70 or A75 if you are going to
>>> used mainly for family photos (4X6 or 8X10) this is the perfect
>>> camera. If you are also going to print some photos in 4x6 purchase and
>>> save again go with the A70 model. you will not see any difference in
>>> the quality of the printing (on a good printer ) and did print some
>>> 8X10 and yes very good quality finish. Go with the Canon.
>>
>> Thanks for the reply R.T. Strangely the A70 from my searches on
>> www.dealtime.co.uk show it to be about £30 more expensive than the A75.
>> On your recommendation and many reviews I'm favouring the A75. My only
>> reservation is that it takes batteries and rechargeable via a cradle..
>
> Whoops! Sorry that line should be 'My only reservation is that it takes
> batteries instead of being rechargeable via a cradle.'
There are some very minor changes from A70 to A75.
More details u find at: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/a75..html
and http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/a70.html which I don´t
think that r important, particularly for the 1st camera.

--
Have a nice day, 8:)
Dept. of Art History, Tel Aviv University

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 08:59:14 +0300, "Josef G." <ns_golojo@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>OVS wrote:

>>> Thanks for the reply R.T. Strangely the A70 from my searches on
>>> www.dealtime.co.uk show it to be about £30 more expensive than the A75.
>>> On your recommendation and many reviews I'm favouring the A75. My only
>>> reservation is that it takes batteries and rechargeable via a cradle.
>>
>> Whoops! Sorry that line should be 'My only reservation is that it takes
>> batteries instead of being rechargeable via a cradle.'
>There are some very minor changes from A70 to A75.
>More details u find at: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/a75.html
>and http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/a70.html which I don´t
>think that r important, particularly for the 1st camera.

True there is very minor change from the A70 to the A75, you
should be able to save $$$ by purchasing the a70, regarding batteries
just go out and purchase 2 sets of rechargeable batteries and a
charger example the Panasonic BQ-390 and forget the cradle. For great
photos with this Canon set it to 2048X1536 and in super fine mode this
will give you fantastic photos. Also the instruction book will give
you all the info. you need to operate the camera. Make sure the
rechargeble batteries are NI-MH

Go see this location

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A70/A70A.HTM#operation

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 08:02:02 GMT, Alan wrote:

>> Whoops! Sorry that line should be 'My only reservation is that it takes
>> batteries instead of being rechargeable via a cradle.'
>
> That's a feature in my book - using standard AA's instead of a unique
> expensive battery which must be charged via a dedicated charger.
> I also have an A75 and highly reccomend it. I bought it as a pocket-sized
> alterative to my Canon 300D SLR which is just too big to take everywhere.
>
> Alan.

Thanks for the reply Alan. In your experiance, how long do the AA batteries
last?

the canon A range are perfect for taking pictures of snails, anything
moving faster will be long gone before its got round to the shot