ad hoc problem

Stef

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2002

im trying to set up an ad hoc network between two XP computers. there
are alot of problems and im trying to analyze it step by step

on the host computer, the wireless icon in the taskbar tells me:
connected to network "myssidname". there is no red cross over the icon
and the network connections menu also tells me it is connected - all
good

however, under "activity" it says 0 packets sent and 0 packets
received

the second computer fails to connect to the wlan

could this be a problem with the IP adress? or something else

many thanks

"Stef" <thedude@sk-audio.org> wrote in message
> im trying to set up an ad hoc network between two XP computers. there
> are alot of problems and im trying to analyze it step by step
>
> on the host computer, the wireless icon in the taskbar tells me:
> connected to network "myssidname". there is no red cross over the icon
> and the network connections menu also tells me it is connected - all
> good
>
> however, under "activity" it says 0 packets sent and 0 packets
> received
>
> the second computer fails to connect to the wlan
>
> could this be a problem with the IP adress? or something else
>
> many thanks

run ipconfig from a cmd window and check that both machines have correct
IP address's, then try ping from either machine.
If no luck with ping you may have something blocking - do you have a
software firewall installed ?.

rgds
Li'l Roberto

Stef

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2002

both machines are in the same range (254.196.XXX.XXX). sygate and win
xp firewalls are disabled, pinging results in a time out from both
machines.

what puzzles me is that one machine has a fully green signal and
packets are being sent, but the other machine signal is completely
grey and doesn send or receive packets

any more ideas?