XP webcams

September 9, 2004 11:02:56 AM

What's the easiest way to stream video from one PC to another on a
local network? I have two laptops on my home wireless network, one
running XP Pro, the other XP Home. I'd like to connect a webcam to one
laptop and view the picture on the other one. From what I've been
reading, there seems to be some work involved in setting up firewalls,
ports, etc on my router. I have a 3Com OfficeConnect wireless
router/broadband modem. I'm new to all this - is there some simple
source of information out there?

PS I'm planning to buy a little webcam for Messenger anyway, but I'd
also be interested in using my existing digital video camera via
Firewire. Can I just plug it in and use it like a webcam, or will I
need additional software?

Thanks

More about : webcams

September 9, 2004 8:40:29 PM

You can do what you want to do using the webcam but not the camcorder. Some
recent camcorders support this feature (to be used as webcam) but not all
do.

--
Rehan
www.rehanfx.org - get more effects and transitions for movie maker

"Simon Hancock" <hancock_simon@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What's the easiest way to stream video from one PC to another on a
> local network? I have two laptops on my home wireless network, one
> running XP Pro, the other XP Home. I'd like to connect a webcam to one
> laptop and view the picture on the other one. From what I've been
> reading, there seems to be some work involved in setting up firewalls,
> ports, etc on my router. I have a 3Com OfficeConnect wireless
> router/broadband modem. I'm new to all this - is there some simple
> source of information out there?
>
> PS I'm planning to buy a little webcam for Messenger anyway, but I'd
> also be interested in using my existing digital video camera via
> Firewire. Can I just plug it in and use it like a webcam, or will I
> need additional software?
>
> Thanks
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 6:31:51 AM

Thanks, that's good to know. Second question - how?

"Rehan" <rehan@nospamntlworld.com> wrote in message news:<uM5RXNolEHA.3392@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>...
> You can do what you want to do using the webcam but not the camcorder. Some
> recent camcorders support this feature (to be used as webcam) but not all
> do.
>

> --
> Rehan
> www.rehanfx.org - get more effects and transitions for movie maker
>

> "Simon Hancock" <hancock_simon@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > What's the easiest way to stream video from one PC to another on a
> > local network? I have two laptops on my home wireless network, one
> > running XP Pro, the other XP Home. I'd like to connect a webcam to one
> > laptop and view the picture on the other one. From what I've been
> > reading, there seems to be some work involved in setting up firewalls,
> > ports, etc on my router. I have a 3Com OfficeConnect wireless
> > router/broadband modem. I'm new to all this - is there some simple
> > source of information out there?
> >
> > PS I'm planning to buy a little webcam for Messenger anyway, but I'd
> > also be interested in using my existing digital video camera via
> > Firewire. Can I just plug it in and use it like a webcam, or will I
> > need additional software?
> >
> > Thanks
September 10, 2004 3:00:11 PM

> Thanks, that's good to know. Second question - how?

Install the software that comes with webcam. It should include some utility.
Otherwise there are many freeware softwares.
http://www.google.co.uk/search?num=20&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=...

--

!