Drive cloning, Ghost 9 and True Image 8

Tags:
Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
March 23, 2005 12:07:18 PM

Finally got around to having a look at Ghost 9 and True Image
for cloning a drive, usually used when upgrading the OS boot
drive and whatever other partitions are on that drive.

The short story is that Ghost 9 is close to
useless and True Image leaves it for dead.

You cant use the bootable CD to clone a drive with Ghost 9,
you have to use the installed Ghost 9. With True Image you
can boot the bootable CD and do it all from there. The only
real downside with TI in this area is that it offers two choices,
clone a drive, and add a new hard drive. It isnt immediately
obvious what the difference is. In practice the second option
is used when you just want to prepare a new drive with new
partitions, and dont want to clone an existing drive to it.

With Ghost 9 with a source drive with multiple partitions, you have
to clone each one individually, you cant clone the entire physical drive.

With TI you can choose to have it proportionally expand each
partition when the new drive is bigger than the original, as it
usually is. You can also manually specify the new partition
sizes. Its a tad clumsy in this area, it initially offers the
proportionally expanded partition layout and you have to
fiddle with the individual sizes and it uses a rather odd way
of specifying the location on the drive, with free space
specified before and after each partition. Usable, but a bit crude.

The very fundamental problem with Ghost 9 is that its damned
slow, and failed to clone one of my partitions. It got to 99%
complete with one of the partitions and then just stopped updating
the display. Didnt affect the use of the system, but there wasnt any
way to get it to complete the clone. It did the other partition fine, both
data partitions. Didnt try to update Ghost 9 from the Symantec site,
I was sick of the lousy speed and crude approach by then having
pissed most of the morning against the wall getting nowhere.

And it isnt at all clear what would happen to the drive letters,
presumably they could get into one hell of a mess, tho likely
that would be fixable after the cloning had been done. The
issue doesnt arise with TI since it isnt cloning at the XP level.

TI cloned the entire 120G drive in less time than
Ghost took to clone just one of the 40G partitions
on that drive, and worked too, which is a useful bonus.

The manual says that you have to remove the original,
and the clone booted up fine when that was done.
XP didnt find new hardware like it does if you do a
clone with Ghost 2003, just booted up fine.
Presumably TI molests the MBR etc so it keeps
XP happy, tho I didnt check that carefully.

The only real downside with TI is that since its running from
the booted CD, you cant play freecell etc while its cloning.

TI wont boot the CD on all PCs tho, it fails on one
dinosaur I have, the screen is completely unreadable.
Presumably they will fix that eventually.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
March 23, 2005 12:07:19 PM

"Rod Speed" wrote:
> Finally got around to having a look at Ghost 9 and True Image
> for cloning a drive, usually used when upgrading the OS boot
> drive and whatever other partitions are on that drive.
>
> The short story is that Ghost 9 is close to
> useless and True Image leaves it for dead.
>
> You cant use the bootable CD to clone a drive with Ghost 9,
> you have to use the installed Ghost 9. With True Image you
> can boot the bootable CD and do it all from there. The only
> real downside with TI in this area is that it offers two choices,
> clone a drive, and add a new hard drive. It isnt immediately
> obvious what the difference is. In practice the second option
> is used when you just want to prepare a new drive with new
> partitions, and dont want to clone an existing drive to it.
>
> With Ghost 9 with a source drive with multiple partitions, you have
> to clone each one individually, you cant clone the entire physical drive.
>
> With TI you can choose to have it proportionally expand each
> partition when the new drive is bigger than the original, as it
> usually is. You can also manually specify the new partition
> sizes. Its a tad clumsy in this area, it initially offers the
> proportionally expanded partition layout and you have to
> fiddle with the individual sizes and it uses a rather odd way
> of specifying the location on the drive, with free space
> specified before and after each partition. Usable, but a bit crude.
>
> The very fundamental problem with Ghost 9 is that its damned
> slow, and failed to clone one of my partitions. It got to 99%
> complete with one of the partitions and then just stopped updating
> the display. Didnt affect the use of the system, but there wasnt any
> way to get it to complete the clone. It did the other partition fine, both
> data partitions. Didnt try to update Ghost 9 from the Symantec site,
> I was sick of the lousy speed and crude approach by then having
> pissed most of the morning against the wall getting nowhere.
>
> And it isnt at all clear what would happen to the drive letters,
> presumably they could get into one hell of a mess, tho likely
> that would be fixable after the cloning had been done. The
> issue doesnt arise with TI since it isnt cloning at the XP level.
>
> TI cloned the entire 120G drive in less time than
> Ghost took to clone just one of the 40G partitions
> on that drive, and worked too, which is a useful bonus.
>
> The manual says that you have to remove the original,
> and the clone booted up fine when that was done.
> XP didnt find new hardware like it does if you do a
> clone with Ghost 2003, just booted up fine.
> Presumably TI molests the MBR etc so it keeps
> XP happy, tho I didnt check that carefully.
>
> The only real downside with TI is that since its running from
> the booted CD, you cant play freecell etc while its cloning.
>
> TI wont boot the CD on all PCs tho, it fails on one
> dinosaur I have, the screen is completely unreadable.
> Presumably they will fix that eventually.

Interesting. One question, though: Can you use TI to
clone just one partition to another physical drive or do
you HAVE to clone the entire physical disk?

*TimDaniels*
Anonymous
a b G Storage
March 23, 2005 12:07:19 PM

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 09:07:18 +1100, "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>The only real downside with TI is that since its running from
>the booted CD, you cant play freecell etc while its cloning.

One thing to watch for when TI clones a drive is that it offers the
option of wiping out your old drive for security purposes. I usually
keep my old drive intact for a bit as an extra level of insurance.

First time I did this, I thought it was talking about wiping out the
data on the new drive (which had been previously used), so I said
sure, go ahead. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem, but the new
drive had a verification problem in one area, and I ended needing to
restore from the previous day's backup instead. Murphy was with me.

The lesson, of course, is always read the questions carefully before
saying sure, go ahead...

a b G Storage
March 23, 2005 12:33:02 PM

> Finally got around to having a look at Ghost 9 and True Image
> for cloning a drive, usually used when upgrading the OS boot
> drive and whatever other partitions are on that drive.
>
> The short story is that Ghost 9 is close to
> useless and True Image leaves it for dead.
>
> You cant use the bootable CD to clone a drive with Ghost 9,
> you have to use the installed Ghost 9. With True Image you
> can boot the bootable CD and do it all from there. The only
> real downside with TI in this area is that it offers two choices,
> clone a drive, and add a new hard drive. It isnt immediately
> obvious what the difference is. In practice the second option
> is used when you just want to prepare a new drive with new
> partitions, and dont want to clone an existing drive to it.
>
> With Ghost 9 with a source drive with multiple partitions, you have
> to clone each one individually, you cant clone the entire physical drive.
>
> With TI you can choose to have it proportionally expand each
> partition when the new drive is bigger than the original, as it
> usually is. You can also manually specify the new partition
> sizes. Its a tad clumsy in this area, it initially offers the
> proportionally expanded partition layout and you have to
> fiddle with the individual sizes and it uses a rather odd way
> of specifying the location on the drive, with free space
> specified before and after each partition. Usable, but a bit crude.
>
> The very fundamental problem with Ghost 9 is that its damned
> slow, and failed to clone one of my partitions. It got to 99%
> complete with one of the partitions and then just stopped updating
> the display. Didnt affect the use of the system, but there wasnt any
> way to get it to complete the clone. It did the other partition fine, both
> data partitions. Didnt try to update Ghost 9 from the Symantec site,
> I was sick of the lousy speed and crude approach by then having
> pissed most of the morning against the wall getting nowhere.
>
> And it isnt at all clear what would happen to the drive letters,
> presumably they could get into one hell of a mess, tho likely
> that would be fixable after the cloning had been done. The
> issue doesnt arise with TI since it isnt cloning at the XP level.
>
> TI cloned the entire 120G drive in less time than
> Ghost took to clone just one of the 40G partitions
> on that drive, and worked too, which is a useful bonus.
>
> The manual says that you have to remove the original,
> and the clone booted up fine when that was done.
> XP didnt find new hardware like it does if you do a
> clone with Ghost 2003, just booted up fine.
> Presumably TI molests the MBR etc so it keeps
> XP happy, tho I didnt check that carefully.
>
> The only real downside with TI is that since its running from
> the booted CD, you cant play freecell etc while its cloning.
>
> TI wont boot the CD on all PCs tho, it fails on one
> dinosaur I have, the screen is completely unreadable.
> Presumably they will fix that eventually.

Thanks for the great feedback.
Soundsl like TI is performing at the level DI was a couple of years ago at
the dos level. No one could beat it.

Thought Ghost 9 inherited some assets from DI. DI 7, you could boot from CD
and restore an XP NTFS boot partition from there. Really odd that they
didn't incorporate this into Ghost 9.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
March 23, 2005 12:33:03 PM

Lil' Dave wrote:

> [...]
>> and the clone booted up fine when that was done.
>> XP didnt find new hardware like it does if you do a
>> clone with Ghost 2003, just booted up fine.
>> Presumably TI molests the MBR etc so it keeps
>> XP happy, tho I didnt check that carefully.
>>
>> The only real downside with TI is that since its running from
>> the booted CD, you cant play freecell etc while its cloning.
>>
>> TI wont boot the CD on all PCs tho, it fails on one
>> dinosaur I have, the screen is completely unreadable.
>> Presumably they will fix that eventually.
>>

> Thanks for the great feedback.
> Soundsl like TI is performing at the level DI was a couple of years ago at
> the dos level. No one could beat it.
>
> Thought Ghost 9 inherited some assets from DI. DI 7, you could boot from
> CD
> and restore an XP NTFS boot partition from there. Really odd that they

If you put Ghost 9 and Drive Image 7 together side by side you'll find
little difference other than Symantec logos and some cosmetic changes to
the UI between them.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

> Thought Ghost 9 inherited some assets from DI. DI 7, you could boot from
> CD
> and restore an XP NTFS boot partition from there. Really odd that they
> didn't incorporate this into Ghost 9.

You can, what you can't do is produce the image in the first place, you eed
to be in widows for that part.

Nik
Anonymous
a b G Storage
March 23, 2005 7:52:16 PM

Neil Maxwell <neil.maxwell@intel.com> wrote in message
> Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote

>> The only real downside with TI is that since its running from
>> the booted CD, you cant play freecell etc while its cloning.

> One thing to watch for when TI clones a drive is that it offers the
> option of wiping out your old drive for security purposes. I usually
> keep my old drive intact for a bit as an extra level of insurance.

8 just has that as 1 of the 3 options on that particular page of the
wizard. And it does suggest keeping the data on the old drive for
safety. And yes, I normally do keep the old drive intact for a while,
just as insurance against very early death of the new drive.

> First time I did this, I thought it was talking about wiping out the
> data on the new drive (which had been previously used), so I said
> sure, go ahead. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem, but the new
> drive had a verification problem in one area, and I ended needing to
> restore from the previous day's backup instead. Murphy was with me.

Yeah, it would be better if it had only wiped the original
once the verification had been done on the new one.

> The lesson, of course, is always read the
> questions carefully before saying sure, go ahead...

Yeah, it can end up with tears before bedtime if you arent careful with drive
cloning.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
March 24, 2005 8:20:45 AM

> [...]
>>
>> TI cloned the entire 120G drive in less time than
>> Ghost took to clone just one of the 40G partitions
>> on that drive, and worked too, which is a useful bonus.
>>
>> The manual says that you have to remove the original,
>> and the clone booted up fine when that was done.
>> XP didnt find new hardware like it does if you do a
>> clone with Ghost 2003, just booted up fine.
>> Presumably TI molests the MBR etc so it keeps
>> XP happy, tho I didnt check that carefully.
>>
>> The only real downside with TI is that since its running from
>> the booted CD, you cant play freecell etc while its cloning.
>>
>> TI wont boot the CD on all PCs tho, it fails on one
>> dinosaur I have, the screen is completely unreadable.
>> Presumably they will fix that eventually.

> Thanks for the great feedback.
> Soundsl like TI is performing at the level DI
> was a couple of years ago at the dos level.

Its got quite a bit more capability than than that, particularly with
network support and incremental backup at the OS level etc.

> No one could beat it.

I'm not convinced it was dramatically better than say Ghost 2003.

And it certainly wasnt dramatically better than
say Ghost 8, tho certainly simpler to use.

> Thought Ghost 9 inherited some assets from DI. DI 7, you could
> boot from CD and restore an XP NTFS boot partition from there.
> Really odd that they didn't incorporate this into Ghost 9.

Yes you can. The main thing you cant do from the booted CD
is image the drive from there. You can certainly restore. And
its much better than DI 7 when the image is on the other side
of the lan, much easier to setup since its running on PE.
March 24, 2005 8:20:46 AM

> [...]
>
> > Thanks for the great feedback.
> > Soundsl like TI is performing at the level DI
> > was a couple of years ago at the dos level.
>
> Its got quite a bit more capability than than that, particularly with
> network support and incremental backup at the OS level etc.
>
> > No one could beat it.
>
> I'm not convinced it was dramatically better than say Ghost 2003.
>
> And it certainly wasnt dramatically better than
> say Ghost 8, tho certainly simpler to use.
>
> > Thought Ghost 9 inherited some assets from DI. DI 7, you could
> > boot from CD and restore an XP NTFS boot partition from there.
> > Really odd that they didn't incorporate this into Ghost 9.
>
> Yes you can. The main thing you cant do from the booted CD
> is image the drive from there. You can certainly restore. And
> its much better than DI 7 when the image is on the other side
> of the lan, much easier to setup since its running on PE.

Ghost32 (from Ghost 8.2 or 8.0) can create (and restore) image
while running from WinPE environment. But that is off topic.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
March 24, 2005 8:20:47 AM

In article <3ads6sF69gpp3U1@individual.net>, peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca
says...

> > its much better than DI 7 when the image is on the other side
> > of the lan, much easier to setup since its running on PE.
> >

> Ghost32 (from Ghost 8.2 or 8.0) can create (and restore) image
> while running from WinPE environment. But that is off topic.

isn't it nicer , easier to read quoting like this ?

--
gruss , wolfgang
---<---@

"Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>>
>> TI cloned the entire 120G drive in less time than
>> Ghost took to clone just one of the 40G partitions
>> on that drive, and worked too, which is a useful bonus.
>>
>> The manual says that you have to remove the original,
>> and the clone booted up fine when that was done.
>> XP didnt find new hardware like it does if you do a
>> clone with Ghost 2003, just booted up fine.
>> Presumably TI molests the MBR etc so it keeps
>> XP happy, tho I didnt check that carefully.
>>
>> The only real downside with TI is that since its running from
>> the booted CD, you cant play freecell etc while its cloning.
>>
>> TI wont boot the CD on all PCs tho, it fails on one
>> dinosaur I have, the screen is completely unreadable.
>> Presumably they will fix that eventually.
>

> Interesting. One question, though: Can you use TI to
> clone just one partition to another physical drive or do
> you HAVE to clone the entire physical disk?

Looks like you have to move them all. You dont even appear
to be able to clone them all but set the destination to zero size
for the ones you dont want.

You can obviously image the partition you want to move
and then restore the image to the other physical drive tho.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
March 24, 2005 2:24:35 PM

"wolfgang schneider" <schnusi@gmx.net> wrote in message
> In article <3ads6sF69gpp3U1@individual.net>, peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca
> says...
>
>> > its much better than DI 7 when the image is on the other side
>> > of the lan, much easier to setup since its running on PE.
>> >

>> Ghost32 (from Ghost 8.2 or 8.0) can create (and restore) image
>> while running from WinPE environment. But that is off topic.
>>

> isn't it nicer , easier to read quoting like this ?

Nope.
!