How do I recover a Windows Movie Maker project without WMM?

NickC

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004

I previously created a project (file saved with a MSWMM extension) in Windows
Movie Maker under a Win Me operating systeM. I recently replaced that systeM
with Windows 2000, but cannot use WMM 2 on that OS, as it only works with
Windows XP. I didn't convert the project to a video forMat. I can't play the
project in any edia application (eg Windows Media Player). Is there any way I
can recover the project without having to construct it al over again? Thanks
in advance, even if the answer is "no" : )

Hi Nick --

I think the answer is going to be "no".

The MSWMM file is a project file that contains information about your media
and the configuration of the media on the timeline in MovieMaker. I'm not
aware of any application or utility outside of MM that will read the format.

Your best bet is to find a friend with an XP machine and copy your MSWMM and
video content over to their machine so you can either finish editing your
project, or publish it "as is".

Hope this helps!
-Kristen Miller [MS]