dvd decoder

I recently upgraded my windows package to XP. Since then I can no longer play
DVDs on the computer. Microsoft Media player says that it doesn't have the
correct dvd decoder to play the DVD, where do I get these decoders from?
Should XP have interferred with windows media player?
2 answers Last reply
More about decoder

    No version of Windows has ever included DVD decoding software. The two most
    common packages are WinDVD and PowerDVD... if you have the CD reinstall the
    application. If not or you cannot find it, www.intervideo.com and
    www.gocyberlink.com. Instead of purchasing the whole application, you can
    just buy the decoding package and watch the DVD from within Windows Media
    Player if you wish.... it's about $14.95
    www.coribright.com

    "Kermit" <Kermit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I recently upgraded my windows package to XP. Since then I can no longer
    >play
    > DVDs on the computer. Microsoft Media player says that it doesn't have the
    > correct dvd decoder to play the DVD, where do I get these decoders from?
    > Should XP have interferred with windows media player?

    There are free alternatives for the :

    1. Install trial version of WinDVD and never use its player. Windows Media
    Player will keep using the decoder it installs.

    2. Download and play the DVDs using "Media Player Classic". It has mpeg2
    decoding facility built in.

    3. Download GPL MPEG2 decoder to play MPEG2 files and AC3 Filter to play AC3
    sound
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/gplmpgdec/
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/ac3filter/

    This would only play unencrypted DVDs. To watch an encrypted DVD you will
    have to break the law (The Digital Millennium Copyright Act) and face any
    consequences.
    http://gpl.insa-lyon.fr/OrgaWiki/Chapter30En

    --
    Rehan
    www.rehanfx.org - get transitions and effects for Windows MovieMaker

    > No version of Windows has ever included DVD decoding software. The two
    > most common packages are WinDVD and PowerDVD... if you have the CD
    > reinstall the application. If not or you cannot find it,
    > www.intervideo.com and www.gocyberlink.com. Instead of purchasing the
    > whole application, you can just buy the decoding package and watch the DVD
    > from within Windows Media Player if you wish.... it's about $14.95
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "Kermit" <Kermit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I recently upgraded my windows package to XP. Since then I can no longer
    >>play
    >> DVDs on the computer. Microsoft Media player says that it doesn't have
    >> the
    >> correct dvd decoder to play the DVD, where do I get these decoders from?
    >> Should XP have interferred with windows media player?

Video Media Player DVD Windows XP Microsoft Decoder