Kermit

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2003

I recently upgraded my windows package to XP. Since then I can no longer play
DVDs on the computer. Microsoft Media player says that it doesn't have the
correct dvd decoder to play the DVD, where do I get these decoders from?
Should XP have interferred with windows media player?

No version of Windows has ever included DVD decoding software. The two most
common packages are WinDVD and PowerDVD... if you have the CD reinstall the
application. If not or you cannot find it, www.intervideo.com and
www.gocyberlink.com. Instead of purchasing the whole application, you can
just buy the decoding package and watch the DVD from within Windows Media
Player if you wish.... it's about $14.95
www.coribright.com

"Kermit" <Kermit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently upgraded my windows package to XP. Since then I can no longer
>play
> DVDs on the computer. Microsoft Media player says that it doesn't have the
> correct dvd decoder to play the DVD, where do I get these decoders from?
> Should XP have interferred with windows media player?

rehan

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2004

There are free alternatives for the :

1. Install trial version of WinDVD and never use its player. Windows Media
Player will keep using the decoder it installs.

2. Download and play the DVDs using "Media Player Classic". It has mpeg2
decoding facility built in.

3. Download GPL MPEG2 decoder to play MPEG2 files and AC3 Filter to play AC3
sound
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gplmpgdec/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ac3filter/

This would only play unencrypted DVDs. To watch an encrypted DVD you will
have to break the law (The Digital Millennium Copyright Act) and face any
consequences.
http://gpl.insa-lyon.fr/OrgaWiki/Chapter30En

--
Rehan