need software to wipe unused space on HD

I've got a customer who needs a program that will wipe
the unused space (NTFS) of a Win XP boot hard drive in use.
Old data that may still be there.

peter

> I've got a customer who needs a program that will wipe
> the unused space (NTFS) of a Win XP boot hard drive in use.
> Old data that may still be there.

Read info on:
http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/

nullfile-1.02.exe

Tod wrote:
> I've got a customer who needs a program that will wipe
> the unused space (NTFS) of a Win XP boot hard drive in use.
> Old data that may still be there.

Look for Eraser -- it does what you want, and more.
--
Cheers, Bob

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 08:40:03 -0500, Bob Willard
<BobwBSGS@TrashThis.comcast.net> wrote:

>Look for Eraser -- it does what you want, and more.

I hope Eraser has been updated because the last time I used it on NTFS
to wipe free space after a reboot my system was screwed because it
couldn't find NTLDR. What I think happened is that Eraser wiped hidden
system files too.

Connected wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 08:40:03 -0500, Bob Willard
> <BobwBSGS@TrashThis.comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>Look for Eraser -- it does what you want, and more.
>

> I hope Eraser has been updated because the last time I used it on NTFS
> to wipe free space after a reboot my system was screwed because it
> couldn't find NTLDR. What I think happened is that Eraser wiped hidden
> system files too.

Works fine on my XP PRO SP2 PC, on my XP HE SP2 PC, and on one old W98SE PC.
(I don't happen to use it on the others.)

Any chance that your problem was cockpit error?
--
Cheers, Bob

Previously Tod <no_spam_me@comcast.net> wrote:
> I've got a customer who needs a program that will wipe
> the unused space (NTFS) of a Win XP boot hard drive in use.
> Old data that may still be there.

Safest way is to do a file-wise backup of the partition (with a
software like "tar"), wipe the partition entirely and restore the
backup. With any other approach you cannot really be sure what you
get. The simplest programms will likely only wipe the free clusters,
just as filling the drive up with an all-zero file would do. More
advanced programms will also wipe the free space in clusters at the
end of files that do not have data in all secors. Still better
software will wipe old directory entries as well, but here it gets
really difficult.

The problem is finding out what a pice of software that claims
to wipe "all free space" actually does. Of course with the
backup-wipe-restore approach you still need to check that the
software used does not backup more than it is supposed to.

Arno

Arno Wagner wrote:

> Previously Tod <no_spam_me@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>I've got a customer who needs a program that will wipe
>>the unused space (NTFS) of a Win XP boot hard drive in use.
>>Old data that may still be there.
>

> Safest way is to do a file-wise backup of the partition (with a
> software like "tar"), wipe the partition entirely and restore the
> backup. With any other approach you cannot really be sure what you
> get. The simplest programms will likely only wipe the free clusters,
> just as filling the drive up with an all-zero file would do. More
> advanced programms will also wipe the free space in clusters at the
> end of files that do not have data in all secors. Still better
> software will wipe old directory entries as well, but here it gets
> really difficult.
>
> The problem is finding out what a pice of software that claims
> to wipe "all free space" actually does. Of course with the
> backup-wipe-restore approach you still need to check that the
> software used does not backup more than it is supposed to.
>
> Arno

It is not all that hard to see what one of the wipers does, by using
a hex-editor to look at raw sectors before and after wiping. I did
that with Eraser, and it seems to do what it claims; but, I admit that
I only looked at a few sectors.
--
Cheers, Bob

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:15:31 -0500, Bob Willard
<BobwBSGS@TrashThis.comcast.net> wrote:

>Any chance that your problem was cockpit error?

Heh, that's always possible during long overnight PC sessions but have
you considered that maybe I was using an older version of Eraser that
was buggy? I told it to wipe free space on C:, afterwards NTLDR was
missing. Go figure.

Previously Bob Willard <BobwBSGS@trashthis.comcast.net> wrote:
> Arno Wagner wrote:

>> Previously Tod <no_spam_me@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>>I've got a customer who needs a program that will wipe
>>>the unused space (NTFS) of a Win XP boot hard drive in use.
>>>Old data that may still be there.
>>

>> Safest way is to do a file-wise backup of the partition (with a
>> software like "tar"), wipe the partition entirely and restore the
>> backup. With any other approach you cannot really be sure what you
>> get. The simplest programms will likely only wipe the free clusters,
>> just as filling the drive up with an all-zero file would do. More
>> advanced programms will also wipe the free space in clusters at the
>> end of files that do not have data in all secors. Still better
>> software will wipe old directory entries as well, but here it gets
>> really difficult.
>>
>> The problem is finding out what a pice of software that claims
>> to wipe "all free space" actually does. Of course with the
>> backup-wipe-restore approach you still need to check that the
>> software used does not backup more than it is supposed to.
>>
>> Arno
>>

> It is not all that hard to see what one of the wipers does, by using
> a hex-editor to look at raw sectors before and after wiping. I did
> that with Eraser, and it seems to do what it claims; but, I admit that
> I only looked at a few sectors.

Well, personally, _I_ would do the same. But that does not qualify
as "easy" for the verage user.

Arno

Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Previously Tod <no_spam_me@comcast.net> wrote:

>> I've got a customer who needs a program that will wipe
>> the unused space (NTFS) of a Win XP boot hard drive
>> in use. Old data that may still be there.

> Safest way is to do a file-wise backup of the partition (with a
> software like "tar"), wipe the partition entirely and restore the backup.

Unfortunately even that isnt reliable, essentially because XP
moves the files around on the drive in an attempt to speed
things up after its been running for a while on the new drive.

So some moved files will still have the earlier copy in the free space.

> With any other approach you cannot really be sure what you get.

You cant with yours either.