Monitor Power Save Problem-XP Install

i have an hp pavilion 8756, which had ME on it. i had to
reinstall ME after reformatting drive, then installed XP
home upgrade on it using xp's clean install option.

everything worked great for a while. then i went to
windows update for the second round of installs, and it
was going fine, then suddenly my monitor fries.

no power, won't work on a laptop.

went and got another monitor. it plugs in, computer
rebooted, and i get the startup screen on the monitor,
then after the windows xp startup screen, it goes into
powersave.

the monitor works fine on my laptop. AND i can get it to
work when i boot the machine from the xp install disc,
which puts it into xp setup/install repair mode.

so it's something with xp home and this machine.

any ideas? i don't want to re-install XP for the fourth
time.

thanks in advance!!!
1 answer Last reply
More about monitor power save problem install

    When it's starting up and you have the press F8 (or whatever) for safe mode
    option, press it and choose vga mode.

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media
    "Colette" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > i have an hp pavilion 8756, which had ME on it. i had to
    > reinstall ME after reformatting drive, then installed XP
    > home upgrade on it using xp's clean install option.
    >
    > everything worked great for a while. then i went to
    > windows update for the second round of installs, and it
    > was going fine, then suddenly my monitor fries.
    >
    > no power, won't work on a laptop.
    >
    > went and got another monitor. it plugs in, computer
    > rebooted, and i get the startup screen on the monitor,
    > then after the windows xp startup screen, it goes into
    > powersave.
    >
    > the monitor works fine on my laptop. AND i can get it to
    > work when i boot the machine from the xp install disc,
    > which puts it into xp setup/install repair mode.
    >
    > so it's something with xp home and this machine.
    >
    > any ideas? i don't want to re-install XP for the fourth
    > time.
    >
    > thanks in advance!!!

Video Monitors Windows XP