Fuji Finepix S5500

Hi all,
I want to purchase a digital camera (my 1st) and I found the Fuji
Finepix S5500 is well priced in DSLR range. But since I know not a lot
about digital cameras, could anyone please explain why it is
relatively cheap compared to other dSLRs? Is there anything I should
be warned about this model and brand? My local dealer aren't very
helpful unless they know you're commited to buy one (ie you have the
money on you!) so any help from this group will be much appreciated.

Jeremy
5 answers Last reply
More about fuji finepix s5500

    does not take interchangeable lenses so not really an dslr

    spotheloser@yahoo.com (JeremyH) writes:
    > I want to purchase a digital camera (my 1st) and I found the Fuji
    > Finepix S5500 is well priced in DSLR range. But since I know not a
    > lot about digital cameras, could anyone please explain why it is
    > relatively cheap compared to other dSLRs?

    It may have something to do with the fact that is it /not/ a DSLR.

    DSLRs are cameras that let you use interchangeable lenes. They come
    with a mirror (the "R" means reflex) that lets you use an optical
    viewfinder. And - not least - they have a large sensor, which
    means less noise and more latitude for available light photography.

    The Finepix has fixed zoom lens, no mirror, EFV, and a tiny sensor,

    It is also only 4 Mpx, which is adequate for many purposes, but you
    can't hope to make prints larger than 9.5x7.1 inch with decent
    quality. Recent DSLRs are 6 Mpx or more. Entry level DSLRs have a
    "crop factor" of 1.5x-1.6x compared to 35mm film (pro versions even
    less). The S5500 has a crop factor of whopping 6.6x!

    In short - this is a p&s - dressed up to look like a DSLR.

    > Is there anything I should be warned about this model and brand? My
    > local dealer aren't very helpful unless they know you're commited to
    > buy one (ie you have the money on you!) so any help from this group
    > will be much appreciated.

    I've never handled it - and I havn't seen any reviews yet. It may
    be an excellent p&s. But if somebody is trying to pass this one of
    as a DSLR - they're either dishonest or incompetent.

    buy a few digi camera mags and read reviews etc of ALL cameras. Fuji don't
    always come out too well tho ;-(

    On 8 Sep 2004 22:32:32 -0700, spotheloser@yahoo.com (JeremyH) wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >I want to purchase a digital camera (my 1st) and I found the Fuji
    >Finepix S5500 is well priced in DSLR range. But since I know not a lot
    >about digital cameras, could anyone please explain why it is
    >relatively cheap compared to other dSLRs? Is there anything I should
    >be warned about this model and brand? My local dealer aren't very
    >helpful unless they know you're commited to buy one (ie you have the
    >money on you!) so any help from this group will be much appreciated.
    >
    >Jeremy

    I like Fuji. It is a quality item at a low price. Lots of happy
    campers.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 00:34:53 -0700, Bart Bailey <me2@privacy.net>
    wrote:

    >In Message-ID:<2qbkd1Ft523pU1@uni-berlin.de> posted on Thu, 9 Sep 2004
    >19:06:35 +0100, Graham wrote: Begin
    >
    >>Fuji don't
    >>always come out too well tho
    >
    >Does that apply to the Fuji E-510 too?
    >At less than three hundred bucks, it looks appealing.
    >http://tinyurl.com/5qfqc
    Do a googl;e search under Fuji and you'll see that they are quite well
    received and tooted... Get what is the best you can afford and look
    for recognition and service.

Cameras Finepix Peripherals