No wireless access after SP2

OK, so that may not be a great description. Installed SP2 on my laptop and
now when I start up I get the message that my D-Link AirPlus ExtremeG has
"Limited or No Connectivity" to my network. It detects the network and
signal strength is excellent, speed is detected at 108, but can't connect.
Uninstalled it and drivers, reinstalled drivers and card, rebooted still no
change. Ran the Wireless Network config wizard and even worse, now it won't
even try to connect automatically. SSID is correct. Password is correct.
Any ideas?
14 answers Last reply
More about wireless access

    "Thell" wrote:

    > OK, so that may not be a great description. Installed SP2 on my laptop and
    > now when I start up I get the message that my D-Link AirPlus ExtremeG has
    > "Limited or No Connectivity" to my network. It detects the network and
    > signal strength is excellent, speed is detected at 108, but can't connect.
    > Uninstalled it and drivers, reinstalled drivers and card, rebooted still no
    > change. Ran the Wireless Network config wizard and even worse, now it won't
    > even try to connect automatically. SSID is correct. Password is correct.
    > Any ideas?

    Just as an update... I tried updating to the newest drivers and such from
    D-Link and still "Limited or No Connectivity". Tried turning off the
    firewall, but could not make the firewall turn off for the wireless card and
    not my NIC. Oh well, still trying. If worse comes to worst, I suppose that I
    could try uninstalling SP2 or a system restore to before it was installed -
    which does not always work.

    "Thell" wrote:

    > "Thell" wrote:
    >
    > > OK, so that may not be a great description. Installed SP2 on my laptop and
    > > now when I start up I get the message that my D-Link AirPlus ExtremeG has
    > > "Limited or No Connectivity" to my network. It detects the network and
    > > signal strength is excellent, speed is detected at 108, but can't connect.
    > > Uninstalled it and drivers, reinstalled drivers and card, rebooted still no
    > > change. Ran the Wireless Network config wizard and even worse, now it won't
    > > even try to connect automatically. SSID is correct. Password is correct.
    > > Any ideas?
    >
    > Just as an update... I tried updating to the newest drivers and such from
    > D-Link and still "Limited or No Connectivity". Tried turning off the
    > firewall, but could not make the firewall turn off for the wireless card and
    > not my NIC. Oh well, still trying. If worse comes to worst, I suppose that I
    > could try uninstalling SP2 or a system restore to before it was installed -
    > which does not always work.

    Next Update: Uninstalled SP2 and did a System Restore and now almost
    nothing works.... TOO COOL!!! I jsut love my Windows computer. ;^P It
    makes things sooo interesting. NOT! Oh well, my apologies for the rant,
    time to re-install everything I guess. (Everything except SP2, that is.)
    Thanks for the assistance and have a nice day.

    "Thell" <Thell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:90197648-27ED-41B2-BD0D-0355DE756453@microsoft.com...
    > TOO COOL!!! I jsut love my Windows computer. ;^P It
    > makes things sooo interesting. NOT!

    Yep. It gives plenty of rope to shoot yourself in the leg :-/

    --PA

    SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME. it always says "limited or no connectivity", even
    though my signal is excellent. it all started when SP2 was installed. PlS
    SOMEONE HELP ME!!! My other PCs are working fine, and they all use wireless
    networking too. i need this fixed, as soon as possible! my laptop is very
    vital for school!!!!!

    "Thell" wrote:

    > OK, so that may not be a great description. Installed SP2 on my laptop and
    > now when I start up I get the message that my D-Link AirPlus ExtremeG has
    > "Limited or No Connectivity" to my network. It detects the network and
    > signal strength is excellent, speed is detected at 108, but can't connect.
    > Uninstalled it and drivers, reinstalled drivers and card, rebooted still no
    > change. Ran the Wireless Network config wizard and even worse, now it won't
    > even try to connect automatically. SSID is correct. Password is correct.
    > Any ideas?

    Hey Paolo,
    I can relate, I use my laptop for school as well. I did finally get it
    working. I wiped it out, re-installed XP, got the card set upt and working
    properly via XP's wireless config tool. From there I did the SP2 install via
    the wireless connection and when it rebooted everything was "almost" fine. I
    have connectivity and access, but at only half of the capacity as before -
    54MBPS vs. 108MBPS. That is still better than none, plus at the university
    we are doing good if we can get 11MBPS on campus, 22 is outstanding. So if
    you don't mind wiping everything out and reinstalling, maybe that would help
    you as well. (I did not have a lot of choice, after uninstalling SP2 -
    Visual Studio .NET, Office XP, Mathematica 4, WMP9, and IE6 all refused to
    work anymore.)
    Good luck!

    "Paolo Jimeno" wrote:

    > SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME. it always says "limited or no connectivity", even
    > though my signal is excellent. it all started when SP2 was installed. PlS
    > SOMEONE HELP ME!!! My other PCs are working fine, and they all use wireless
    > networking too. i need this fixed, as soon as possible! my laptop is very
    > vital for school!!!!!
    >
    > "Thell" wrote:
    >
    > > OK, so that may not be a great description. Installed SP2 on my laptop and
    > > now when I start up I get the message that my D-Link AirPlus ExtremeG has
    > > "Limited or No Connectivity" to my network. It detects the network and
    > > signal strength is excellent, speed is detected at 108, but can't connect.
    > > Uninstalled it and drivers, reinstalled drivers and card, rebooted still no
    > > change. Ran the Wireless Network config wizard and even worse, now it won't
    > > even try to connect automatically. SSID is correct. Password is correct.
    > > Any ideas?

    I have three machines out of 10 I support on a local network, They have the
    same issue! good signal, no dhcp lease! I have not reformatted and
    restarted yet, but at least this is a clue it may work. These computers all
    had some issues before with connection, just made permanent with sp2. One
    way I can get it to work is to uninstall the driver completely, reinstall the
    driver and it works. BUT ONLY FOR THAT ONE TIME THE SYSTEM IS LOGGED IN.
    Upon reboot it fails again! There must be some driver issues.

    "Thell" wrote:

    > Hey Paolo,
    > I can relate, I use my laptop for school as well. I did finally get it
    > working. I wiped it out, re-installed XP, got the card set upt and working
    > properly via XP's wireless config tool. From there I did the SP2 install via
    > the wireless connection and when it rebooted everything was "almost" fine. I
    > have connectivity and access, but at only half of the capacity as before -
    > 54MBPS vs. 108MBPS. That is still better than none, plus at the university
    > we are doing good if we can get 11MBPS on campus, 22 is outstanding. So if
    > you don't mind wiping everything out and reinstalling, maybe that would help
    > you as well. (I did not have a lot of choice, after uninstalling SP2 -
    > Visual Studio .NET, Office XP, Mathematica 4, WMP9, and IE6 all refused to
    > work anymore.)
    > Good luck!
    >
    > "Paolo Jimeno" wrote:
    >
    > > SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME. it always says "limited or no connectivity", even
    > > though my signal is excellent. it all started when SP2 was installed. PlS
    > > SOMEONE HELP ME!!! My other PCs are working fine, and they all use wireless
    > > networking too. i need this fixed, as soon as possible! my laptop is very
    > > vital for school!!!!!
    > >
    > > "Thell" wrote:
    > >
    > > > OK, so that may not be a great description. Installed SP2 on my laptop and
    > > > now when I start up I get the message that my D-Link AirPlus ExtremeG has
    > > > "Limited or No Connectivity" to my network. It detects the network and
    > > > signal strength is excellent, speed is detected at 108, but can't connect.
    > > > Uninstalled it and drivers, reinstalled drivers and card, rebooted still no
    > > > change. Ran the Wireless Network config wizard and even worse, now it won't
    > > > even try to connect automatically. SSID is correct. Password is correct.
    > > > Any ideas?
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    for anybody out there
    i had the same issue with a on-board nic (no connectivity)
    turned off firewall, renew ip, nothing worked

    i checked the dlink website for a update for my router (wireless 614+)
    and there was one for aug 2004.
    installed that. rebooted pc in question, and everything is fine now.

    this fixed it for me.

    hope this helps

    --
    ddrexler
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    I'd like to try that, good suggestion. Dlink does not have a newer driver for
    the dwl 900 ap+ that I have. I may get a newer netgear g access point and
    try that.

    "ddrexler" wrote:

    > for anybody out there
    > i had the same issue with a on-board nic (no connectivity)
    > turned off firewall, renew ip, nothing worked
    >
    > i checked the dlink website for a update for my router (wireless 614+)
    > and there was one for aug 2004.
    > installed that. rebooted pc in question, and everything is fine now.
    >
    > this fixed it for me.
    >
    > hope this helps
    >

    > Thell wrote:
    > > *OK, so that may not be a great description. Installed SP2 on my
    > > laptop and
    > > now when I start up I get the message that my D-Link AirPlus ExtremeG
    > > has
    > > "Limited or No Connectivity" to my network. It detects the network
    > > and
    > > signal strength is excellent, speed is detected at 108, but can't
    > > connect.
    > > Uninstalled it and drivers, reinstalled drivers and card, rebooted
    > > still no
    > > change. Ran the Wireless Network config wizard and even worse, now
    > > it won't
    > > even try to connect automatically. SSID is correct. Password is
    > > correct.
    > > Any ideas? *
    >

    > --
    > ddrexler

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    I am also experiencing the problem with no success.

    I have 2 wireless connections to my Netgear WGR614 router.

    One connection, a Dell Laptop with onboard wireless controller with XP
    Professional after SP2, works fine.

    Another Dell laptop with onboard wireless and XP Home after SP2, just
    won't connect at all. Excellent strenght, but will not make a
    connecction.

    The fact that all worked before SP2, and now post SP2 1 of the 2
    wireless connections just won't work proves that they only new variable
    is SP2, and it's broken it.

    If anybody as any idea, I would really appreciate it.

    --
    arabxusa
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Do you have the encryption keys set the same on both ends of the wi-fi? If
    so, are they both enabled?

    --

    "arabxusa" <arabxusa.1ddau9@mail.mcse.ms> wrote in message

    > I am also experiencing the problem with no success.
    >
    > I have 2 wireless connections to my Netgear WGR614 router.
    >
    > One connection, a Dell Laptop with onboard wireless controller with XP
    > Professional after SP2, works fine.
    >
    > Another Dell laptop with onboard wireless and XP Home after SP2, just
    > won't connect at all. Excellent strenght, but will not make a
    > connecction.
    >
    > The fact that all worked before SP2, and now post SP2 1 of the 2
    > wireless connections just won't work proves that they only new variable
    > is SP2, and it's broken it.
    >
    > If anybody as any idea, I would really appreciate it.
    >

    > --
    > arabxusa

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    I upgraded 2 laptops with linksys cards and one desktop with a linksys pci
    card.
    The desktop worked fine but the two laptops didn't.
    I found that the firewall caused some problems and the configuration for wep
    was gone.
    I started from scratch by reinstalling the linksys cards and reconfigured
    wep.
    So far everything is good. (5 days)

    "arabxusa" <arabxusa.1ddau9@mail.mcse.ms> wrote in message

    > I am also experiencing the problem with no success.
    >
    > I have 2 wireless connections to my Netgear WGR614 router.
    >
    > One connection, a Dell Laptop with onboard wireless controller with XP
    > Professional after SP2, works fine.
    >
    > Another Dell laptop with onboard wireless and XP Home after SP2, just
    > won't connect at all. Excellent strenght, but will not make a
    > connecction.
    >
    > The fact that all worked before SP2, and now post SP2 1 of the 2
    > wireless connections just won't work proves that they only new variable
    > is SP2, and it's broken it.
    >
    > If anybody as any idea, I would really appreciate it.
    >

    > --
    > arabxusa

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    arabxusa wrote:
    > *I am also experiencing the problem with no success.
    >
    > I have 2 wireless connections to my Netgear WGR614 router.
    >
    > One connection, a Dell Laptop with onboard wireless controller with
    > XP Professional after SP2, works fine.
    >
    > Another Dell laptop with onboard wireless and XP Home after SP2, just
    > won't connect at all. Excellent strenght, but will not make a
    > connecction.
    >
    > The fact that all worked before SP2, and now post SP2 1 of the 2
    > wireless connections just won't work proves that they only new
    > variable is SP2, and it's broken it.
    >
    > If anybody as any idea, I would really appreciate it. *

    Hey everyone, I have been having this problem too...but I usually can
    get it to connect. I have a dell laptop, with service pack 2 and a
    LinkSys 'g' wireless card. I get the perfect connection, but the
    network won't assign me a network address, saying limited or no
    connectivity.

    Well, what I usually do is keep hitting Repair or enable and
    disable...and eventually it will work BUT...it didn't work today...so I
    tried disabling my anti-virus software (unload the service)...and then
    tried to connect...and it worked the first time. Then I just start my
    anti-virus again.

    Good luck.

    --
    geodan
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    This solution should help everyone. Apparently there is a problem with
    SP2, and the no connectivity problem happens to everyone wirelessly.

    Try this link, it worked on my laptop and desktop:

    http://www.pchell.com/support/limitedconnectivity.shtml

    There is a patch available on Microsoft, anda simple registry upgrade,
    which this link explains and your wireless network should be working
    again.

    --
    maximyus
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    maximyus wrote:

    > This solution should help everyone. Apparently there is a problem with
    > SP2, and the no connectivity problem happens to everyone wirelessly.
    >
    > Try this link, it worked on my laptop and desktop:
    >
    > http://www.pchell.com/support/limitedconnectivity.shtml
    >
    > There is a patch available on Microsoft, anda simple registry upgrade,
    > which this link explains and your wireless network should be working
    > again.

    Thanks for the link. It is very interesting and useful. Just one small
    correction, however - this "no connectivity problem" does not happen to
    "everyone wirelessly". It didn't happen to me or on any of the roughly
    150 laptops on which I've installed SP2. For those people who do have
    the problem, the webpage you gave sounds excellent.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers