Network Storage Device back to USB device

Last response: in Storage
Share
March 26, 2005 6:05:33 AM

I have an IDE drive that I was using in a USB external drive case. I
used to plug it in only to do backups.

I then bought a Linksys xxxxx because I thought about making the USB
external drive into a file server for my music files. I ran through
the install procedure and after much confusion I got it working as a
network drive. This required reformating the drive.

I am now considering going back to using the drive the way I
originally was using it. So I unplugged the drive from the Linksys
device and plugged it into the USB port of my computer running XPpro
But the computer doesn't see it. It didn't acknowledge it being
plugged in when I connected it while it was on, and rebooting XP and
restarting the USB external drive doesn't show any indication of the
drive in My Computer.

I suspect that I wll have to reformat the drive to convert it back to
what it originally was but I don't know how to do it if I can't see
the drive in My Computer.

\Samson
Anonymous
a b G Storage
March 26, 2005 8:13:16 PM

Try Disk Management first. You can also zero the MBR with diskpart in XP.

"Samson" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

> Are you saying that I should:
>
> 1) take the drive that I want to reformat out of the external drive
> case,
> 2) open the PC case and disconnect my internal hard drive.
> 3) connect the one I want to reformat to the Primary IDE set as
> master.
> ????
>
> Also I have to get a hold of Knoppix, downloading an .iso and burning
> the .iso to a CD-ROM.
>
> And changing the BIOS to boot from the CD-ROM first.
>
> I can do all that stuff I guess but ain't there a simpler way?

Anonymous
a b G Storage
March 27, 2005 5:24:46 AM

Previously Samson <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>>You can blank the drive with Knoppix or tomsrtbt (or any other
>>floppy or CD linux that odes not require installation). Linux does not
>>have this "can't see the drive" issue Windows seems to be having
>>at any little problem.
>>
>>The procedure is as follows:
>>
>>1. For safety make the drive to be planked the only connected drive.
>> Preferrably the master on the first channel. Of course with
>> Knoppix the CDROM also has to be connected to some IDE channel,
>> with most BIOSes it does not matter where. Remember to activate
>> boot from floppy/CD in the BIOS if it is deactivated.

> Are you saying that I should:

> 1) take the drive that I want to reformat out of the external drive
> case,
> 2) open the PC case and disconnect my internal hard drive.
> 3) connect the one I want to reformat to the Primary IDE set as
> master.
> ????

Yes, exactly.

> Also I have to get a hold of Knoppix, downloading an .iso and burning
> the .iso to a CD-ROM.

Yes.

> And changing the BIOS to boot from the CD-ROM first.

Only if the HDD is bootable. Otherwise the BIOS will get to
the CD eventually, if it is selected as a boot device.

> I can do all that stuff I guess but ain't there a simpler way?

With Knoppix, you might be able to do that with the drive still
in the USB enclosure. But you have to find it and you have
to be sure to do it to the right drive. What I gave you were
the save instructions.

Also tomsrtbt is just 1.7MB and fits on a floppy, if you don't
want to get Knoppix. Tomsrtbt will get the job done as well.

Personally I would do the blanking in the external enclosure,
but I have been using Linux since '94 and have made all the
beginners mistakes. Having the drive to be blanked as the only
HDD in the PC is the only sure way for not accidentally blanking
the wrong drive, regardless what kind of software you use.

Arno
March 27, 2005 6:16:12 PM

"Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Try Disk Management first. You can also zero the MBR with diskpart in XP.

I had four entries in the top right window of disk management

One entry is the C: drive and it says the File System is NFTS.

The other three entries come and go when I remove the external hard
drive but they have blank fields for File Stystem. (I think, I am
writing this after the fact). So I took the only option I could see
available as a choice on those three entries: I Deleted Partition on
those three entries.

But I still had an entry left for that drive in the bottom right
window for that Disk. I think I double clicked on it and it brought
up a formatting wizard and I am currently formatting the drive as NFTS
with a volume name and I'm 15% through it as I type this.

Thanks for the tip.

\Samson
!