Norton Ghost 9 on WinXP errors with "invalid system disk"

I have NG9 and ghosted an XP HDD. When trying to reboot, I get "invalid
system disk" instead of the traditional "press space bar to boot from
CD". Why?

Thanks!
6 answers Last reply
More about norton ghost winxp errors invalid system disk

    TC <no-spam@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > I have NG9 and ghosted an XP HDD. When trying
    > to reboot, I get "invalid system disk" instead of the
    > traditional "press space bar to boot from CD". Why?

    Presumably you think you are trying to boot the CD.

    Ghost 2003 could do that if the ghost op failed, it creates
    a partition for the boot to dos and when the ghost op fails,
    it can get confused about that partition remaining.

    I havent seen Ghost 9 do that tho, but then I havent used
    it for much, so it may be the same problem, even tho its
    a lot closer to the PowerQuest product than Ghost 2003 was.

    The easy way to test that possibility is to see if it
    still says the same thing when the CD is physically
    removed and you try to boot the system.

    Rod Speed wrote:

    > TC <no-spam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    > > I have NG9 and ghosted an XP HDD. When trying
    > > to reboot, I get "invalid system disk" instead of the
    > > traditional "press space bar to boot from CD". Why?
    >
    > Presumably you think you are trying to boot the CD.
    >
    > Ghost 2003 could do that if the ghost op failed, it creates
    > a partition for the boot to dos and when the ghost op fails,
    > it can get confused about that partition remaining.
    >
    > I havent seen Ghost 9 do that tho, but then I havent used
    > it for much, so it may be the same problem, even tho its
    > a lot closer to the PowerQuest product than Ghost 2003 was.
    >
    > The easy way to test that possibility is to see if it
    > still says the same thing when the CD is physically
    > removed and you try to boot the system.

    Well, at this point it's too late. I installed Win 2000. But, when I
    try to reboot with the Ghost image CD, it skips it (doesn't register).
    Boot sequence is A:, CD, HDD.

    TC wrote:
    > I have NG9 and ghosted an XP HDD. When trying to reboot, I get
    > "invalid system disk" instead of the traditional "press space bar to
    > boot from CD". Why?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Did you select (1) "Backup Drives" or (2) "Copy One Drive to Another"? After
    "Ghosting" refers to backing up a drive doesn't it?...
    In option (1) in case of performing a restore make sure that you select to
    set active the restored system partition.

    If you have selected option (2) then make sure you tick the option "Set
    Active" in the wizard prior to copying the system partition.

    --
    M.f.G.
    Michael Kimmer

    "Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
    "Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"

    > Rod Speed wrote:
    >

    >> TC <no-spam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> > I have NG9 and ghosted an XP HDD. When trying
    >> > to reboot, I get "invalid system disk" instead of the
    >> > traditional "press space bar to boot from CD". Why?
    >>
    >> Presumably you think you are trying to boot the CD.
    >>
    >> Ghost 2003 could do that if the ghost op failed, it creates
    >> a partition for the boot to dos and when the ghost op fails,
    >> it can get confused about that partition remaining.
    >>
    >> I havent seen Ghost 9 do that tho, but then I havent used
    >> it for much, so it may be the same problem, even tho its
    >> a lot closer to the PowerQuest product than Ghost 2003 was.
    >>
    >> The easy way to test that possibility is to see if it
    >> still says the same thing when the CD is physically
    >> removed and you try to boot the system.

    > Well, at this point it's too late.

    No its not. I meant to try that to see if its actually trying to
    boot the CD or not. If it isnt, the error message wont change.

    > I installed Win 2000. But, when I try to reboot with
    > the Ghost image CD, it skips it (doesn't register).

    Not clear what you mean by that. If it decides the CD isnt
    a bootable CD for whatever reason, it will skip the CD.

    > Boot sequence is A:, CD, HDD.

    Then likely for some reason it cant read the CD properly anymore.

    Nothing to do with the 2K install, thats done by the bios.

    Rod Speed wrote:

    > "TC" <no-spam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Rod Speed wrote:
    > >

    > >> TC <no-spam@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > >> Presumably you think you are trying to boot the CD.
    > > >
    > >> Ghost 2003 could do that if the ghost op failed, it creates
    > >> a partition for the boot to dos and when the ghost op fails,
    > >> it can get confused about that partition remaining.
    > > >
    > >> I havent seen Ghost 9 do that tho, but then I havent used
    > >> it for much, so it may be the same problem, even tho its
    > >> a lot closer to the PowerQuest product than Ghost 2003 was.
    > > >
    > >> The easy way to test that possibility is to see if it
    > >> still says the same thing when the CD is physically
    > >> removed and you try to boot the system.
    >
    > > Well, at this point it's too late.
    >
    > No its not. I meant to try that to see if its actually trying to
    > boot the CD or not. If it isnt, the error message wont change.
    >
    > > I installed Win 2000. But, when I try to reboot with
    > > the Ghost image CD, it skips it (doesn't register).
    >
    > Not clear what you mean by that. If it decides the CD isnt
    > a bootable CD for whatever reason, it will skip the CD.
    >
    > > Boot sequence is A:, CD, HDD.
    >
    > Then likely for some reason it cant read the CD properly anymore.
    >
    > Nothing to do with the 2K install, thats done by the bios.

    Feeling a little foolish now. I was trying to reboot with the ghosted
    disks instead of the Norton Ghost Disk. Once I did that, all worked
    well.

    > Rod Speed wrote:
    >

    >> "TC" <no-spam@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    >> > Well, at this point it's too late.
    >>
    >> No its not. I meant to try that to see if its actually trying to
    >> boot the CD or not. If it isnt, the error message wont change.
    >>
    >> > I installed Win 2000. But, when I try to reboot with
    >> > the Ghost image CD, it skips it (doesn't register).
    >>
    >> Not clear what you mean by that. If it decides the CD isnt
    >> a bootable CD for whatever reason, it will skip the CD.
    >>
    >> > Boot sequence is A:, CD, HDD.
    >>
    >> Then likely for some reason it cant read the CD properly anymore.
    >>
    >> Nothing to do with the 2K install, thats done by the bios.

    > Feeling a little foolish now. I was trying to reboot with the ghosted disks
    > instead of the Norton Ghost Disk. Once I did that, all worked well.

    Thanks for the feedback.

Storage