drives visible in Windows Device Manager but not in Explorer

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.periphs.scsi,alt.os.windows2000 (More info?)

I[m posting this question only after searching Google and the MS
Knowledge Base. Thank you in advance for responding to this question.

I have a Win 2000 system, self-assembled. Works great. Drive
subsystem is SCSI based, using a Tekram 3900 U3W SCSI host adapter. I
normally have three wide SCSI drives attached, either 36 or 72 GB
each.

Today, I tried to attach two new SCSI drives to my system by removing
the two non-boot drives. I could see the newly attached drives in
Device Manager, but _not_ in Explorer. The drives were also not
visible in the Disk Management folder within Computer Management
(Administrative Tasks cpl.), even though I would expect to see these
drives even if they were not formatted.

What is my next step?

kenneth

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.periphs.scsi,alt.os.windows2000 (More info?)

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 22:07:17 -0800, Lady Margaret Thatcher
<Was_at_10_Downing_Street@bad_for_the_UK.org> wrote:

>I[m posting this question only after searching Google and the MS
>Knowledge Base. Thank you in advance for responding to this question.
>
>I have a Win 2000 system, self-assembled. Works great. Drive
>subsystem is SCSI based, using a Tekram 3900 U3W SCSI host adapter. I
>normally have three wide SCSI drives attached, either 36 or 72 GB
>each.
>
>Today, I tried to attach two new SCSI drives to my system by removing
>the two non-boot drives. I could see the newly attached drives in
>Device Manager, but _not_ in Explorer. The drives were also not
>visible in the Disk Management folder within Computer Management
>(Administrative Tasks cpl.), even though I would expect to see these
>drives even if they were not formatted.
>
>What is my next step?

Howdy,

I hesitate to ask, but...

Is there any possibility that in Explorer | Tools | Folder
Options | View you have Show Hidden Files turned OFF?

HTH,

--
Kenneth

in message news:egic419saq31iagt55kjvu3fn1fe400tln@4ax.com...

> I have a Win 2000 system, self-assembled. Works great. Drive
> subsystem is SCSI based, using a Tekram 3900 U3W SCSI host adapter. I
> normally have three wide SCSI drives attached, either 36 or 72 GB
> each.
>
> Today, I tried to attach two new SCSI drives to my system by removing
> the two non-boot drives. I could see the newly attached drives in
> Device Manager, but _not_ in Explorer. The drives were also not
> visible in the Disk Management folder within Computer Management
> (Administrative Tasks cpl.), even though I would expect to see these
> drives even if they were not formatted.

This might happen if the disk does not spin up or is unreadable (the MBR).
You should verify the drives from SCSI setup or Bart's scsitool from a
floppy.

Lady Margaret Thatcher wrote:

>I[m posting this question only after searching Google and the MS
>Knowledge Base. Thank you in advance for responding to this question.
>
>I have a Win 2000 system, self-assembled. Works great. Drive
>subsystem is SCSI based, using a Tekram 3900 U3W SCSI host adapter. I
>normally have three wide SCSI drives attached, either 36 or 72 GB
>each.
>
>Today, I tried to attach two new SCSI drives to my system by removing
>the two non-boot drives. I could see the newly attached drives in
>Device Manager, but _not_ in Explorer. The drives were also not
>visible in the Disk Management folder within Computer Management
>(Administrative Tasks cpl.), even though I would expect to see these
>drives even if they were not formatted.
>
>What is my next step?

Hi,
Took care of I/O cable of termination properly(very important)? Checked
in SCSI BIOS?
I run all SCSI W2K as well.
Tony

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.periphs.scsi,alt.os.windows2000 (More info?)

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 08:04:14 -0500, Kenneth
<usenet@SPAMLESSsoleassociates.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 22:07:17 -0800, Lady Margaret Thatcher
><Was_at_10_Downing_Street@bad_for_the_UK.org> wrote:
>
>>I[m posting this question only after searching Google and the MS
>>Knowledge Base. Thank you in advance for responding to this question.
>>
>>I have a Win 2000 system, self-assembled. Works great. Drive
>>subsystem is SCSI based, using a Tekram 3900 U3W SCSI host adapter. I
>>normally have three wide SCSI drives attached, either 36 or 72 GB
>>each.

>I hesitate to ask, but...
>
>Is there any possibility that in Explorer | Tools | Folder
>Options | View you have Show Hidden Files turned OFF?

No. I also mentioned that the Storage Management system tools can't
see the drives either.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.periphs.scsi,alt.os.windows2000 (More info?)

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 08:57:12 -0800, "Eric Gisin"
<ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Lady Margaret Thatcher" <Was_at_10_Downing_Street@bad_for_the_UK.org> wrote
>in message news:egic419saq31iagt55kjvu3fn1fe400tln@4ax.com...
>>
>> I have a Win 2000 system, self-assembled. Works great. Drive
>> subsystem is SCSI based, using a Tekram 3900 U3W SCSI host adapter. I
>> normally have three wide SCSI drives attached, either 36 or 72 GB
>> each.
>>
>> Today, I tried to attach two new SCSI drives to my system by removing
>> the two non-boot drives. I could see the newly attached drives in
>> Device Manager, but _not_ in Explorer. The drives were also not
>> visible in the Disk Management folder within Computer Management
>> (Administrative Tasks cpl.), even though I would expect to see these
>> drives even if they were not formatted.
>>
>This might happen if the disk does not spin up or is unreadable (the MBR).
>You should verify the drives from SCSI setup or Bart's scsitool from a
>floppy.

Thanks. That suggestion seems right on target. Time for another
visit to Bart L.'s web site.

This is slightly off topic, but what does this guy do for a living?
He seems to have put enormous amounts of time into his web site. It's
an amazing resource.

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 17:39:09 GMT, Tony Hwang <dragon40@shaw.ca> wrote:

>Lady Margaret Thatcher wrote:
>
>>I[m posting this question only after searching Google and the MS
>>Knowledge Base. Thank you in advance for responding to this question.
>>
>>I have a Win 2000 system, self-assembled. Works great. Drive
>>subsystem is SCSI based, using a Tekram 3900 U3W SCSI host adapter. I
>>normally have three wide SCSI drives attached, either 36 or 72 GB
>>each.
>>
>>Today, I tried to attach two new SCSI drives to my system by removing
>>the two non-boot drives. I could see the newly attached drives in
>>Device Manager, but _not_ in Explorer. The drives were also not
>>visible in the Disk Management folder within Computer Management
>>(Administrative Tasks cpl.), even though I would expect to see these
>>drives even if they were not formatted.
>>
>>What is my next step?
>>

>Hi,
>Took care of I/O cable of termination properly(very important)? Checked
>in SCSI BIOS?
>I run all SCSI W2K as well.

>Tony

Tony, thanks. I mentioned above that I removed the two non-boot
drives, and replaced them with the new drives. Unless there is some
really weird mojo with the cables, then I have to assume that there
are no termination issues. My Tekram controller detects the drives
and their firmware rev. levels. It's Windows that is the problem.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.periphs.scsi,alt.os.windows2000 (More info?)

In article <egic419saq31iagt55kjvu3fn1fe400tln@4ax.com>, Was_at_10
_Downing_Street@bad_for_the_UK.org says...
> I[m posting this question only after searching Google and the MS
> Knowledge Base. Thank you in advance for responding to this question.
>
> I have a Win 2000 system, self-assembled. Works great. Drive
> subsystem is SCSI based, using a Tekram 3900 U3W SCSI host adapter. I
> normally have three wide SCSI drives attached, either 36 or 72 GB
> each.
>
> Today, I tried to attach two new SCSI drives to my system by removing
> the two non-boot drives. I could see the newly attached drives in
> Device Manager, but _not_ in Explorer. The drives were also not
> visible in the Disk Management folder within Computer Management
> (Administrative Tasks cpl.), even though I would expect to see these
> drives even if they were not formatted.
>
> What is my next step?

hi ,

are any partitions on this disks ? let me guess : extended file systems
?

if you insert a blank disk ( usually ) you can work in one straight line
til the formatted partition .

--
gruss , wolfgang
---<---@

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.periphs.scsi,alt.os.windows2000 (More info?)

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 00:25:25 +0200, wolfgang schneider
<schnusi@gmx.net> wrote:

>In article <egic419saq31iagt55kjvu3fn1fe400tln@4ax.com>, Was_at_10
>_Downing_Street@bad_for_the_UK.org says...
>> I[m posting this question only after searching Google and the MS
>> Knowledge Base. Thank you in advance for responding to this question.
>>
>> I have a Win 2000 system, self-assembled. Works great. Drive
>> subsystem is SCSI based, using a Tekram 3900 U3W SCSI host adapter. I
>> normally have three wide SCSI drives attached, either 36 or 72 GB
>> each.
>>
>> Today, I tried to attach two new SCSI drives to my system by removing
>> the two non-boot drives. I could see the newly attached drives in
>> Device Manager, but _not_ in Explorer. The drives were also not
>> visible in the Disk Management folder within Computer Management
>> (Administrative Tasks cpl.), even though I would expect to see these
>> drives even if they were not formatted.
>>
>> What is my next step?
>>

>hi ,
>
>are any partitions on this disks ? let me guess : extended file systems
>?
>
>if you insert a blank disk ( usually ) you can work in one straight line
>til the formatted partition .

Wolffang,

What do you mean by "Insert a blank disk?" Do you mean a floppy disk?
What do you mean by "work in one straight line?"

Danke Schoen

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.periphs.scsi,alt.os.windows2000 (More info?)

In article <rhdf415l77j9snf4kvds61q9k83tgle30e@4ax.com>, Was_at_10
_Downing_Street@bad_for_the_UK.org says...

> Wolffang,
>
> What do you mean by "Insert a blank disk?" Do you mean a floppy disk?
> What do you mean by "work in one straight line?"
>
> Danke Schoen

:)

hi uppers ,

no floppy - i ment a brandnew hdd without any partition or else on it .
load w2k , go to "drive management" , write a signature to the new disks
, format them , eventually turn them into basic ( instead of dynamic )
drives . this can all be done in one line .

excuse my poor english please .

--
gruss , wolfgang
---<---@

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.periphs.scsi,alt.os.windows2000 (More info?)

Lady Margaret Thatcher wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 17:39:09 GMT, Tony Hwang <dragon40@shaw.ca> wrote:
>

>>Lady Margaret Thatcher wrote:
>>

>>>I[m posting this question only after searching Google and the MS
>>>Knowledge Base. Thank you in advance for responding to this question.
>>>
>>>I have a Win 2000 system, self-assembled. Works great. Drive
>>>subsystem is SCSI based, using a Tekram 3900 U3W SCSI host adapter. I
>>>normally have three wide SCSI drives attached, either 36 or 72 GB
>>>each.
>>>
>>>Today, I tried to attach two new SCSI drives to my system by removing
>>>the two non-boot drives. I could see the newly attached drives in
>>>Device Manager, but _not_ in Explorer. The drives were also not
>>>visible in the Disk Management folder within Computer Management
>>>(Administrative Tasks cpl.), even though I would expect to see these
>>>drives even if they were not formatted.
>>>
>>>What is my next step?
>>>

>>Hi,
>>Took care of I/O cable of termination properly(very important)? Checked
>>in SCSI BIOS?
>>I run all SCSI W2K as well.
>

>>Tony
>

> Tony, thanks. I mentioned above that I removed the two non-boot
> drives, and replaced them with the new drives. Unless there is some
> really weird mojo with the cables, then I have to assume that there
> are no termination issues. My Tekram controller detects the drives
> and their firmware rev. levels. It's Windows that is the problem.

Hi,
Some times drive has id. jumpers and termination jumper. If the drives
are in the middle of chain, termination is of course not needed.
Tony

TRENDING THREADS