RAID 1 using drives of different brands

bill

Is there a problem with using one Seagate and one Maxtor drive (each 120GB)
for a RAID 1 array?

Thanks,
Bill

bill wrote:
> Is there a problem with using one Seagate and one Maxtor drive (each 120GB)
> for a RAID 1 array?

There shouldn't be any problem with that.

--
-WD

Will Dormann wrote:

> bill wrote:
>> Is there a problem with using one Seagate and one Maxtor drive (each
>> 120GB) for a RAID 1 array?
>
> There shouldn't be any problem with that.

But, compare the capacities and if they are slightly different make sure
that the array is the size of the _smaller_ one.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

In article <1HD1e.23162$Ue6.9973@trndny04>, no_replies@verizon.com
says...
> Is there a problem with using one Seagate and one Maxtor drive (each 120GB)
> for a RAID 1 array?
>
> Thanks,
> Bill

is not perfect , but problems look more bad :)

--
gruss , wolfgang
---<---@

Previously J. Clarke <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote:
> Will Dormann wrote:

>> bill wrote:
>>> Is there a problem with using one Seagate and one Maxtor drive (each
>>> 120GB) for a RAID 1 array?
>>
>> There shouldn't be any problem with that.

> But, compare the capacities and if they are slightly different make sure
> that the array is the size of the _smaller_ one.

The 120GB Seagates and Maxtors I have are of different size.
This should however only be a problem if you want to create the
array in degraded mode. In that case make sure you create it
with the smaller of the two drives.

Arno