Will initializing my hard drive in XP erase the data?

I did a clean install of WinXP Pro sp2 and lost the three partitions on
the second HD (Hitachi 250 mb). Disk Manager reported it as being
unallocated space. When I tried to run PartitionMagic 8, it gave me an
error saying that EZ-drive had been detected. So I ran CleanTrack0,
which I dl'd from here: http://resq.co.il/iv_tools.php, on the problem
disk; now XP's Disk Manager reports the drive as "not initialized". If
I choose to initialize, will this fix my problem, or will it erase the
data? (Btw, I did back up Track 0 before I ran CleanTrack0, if that
becomes relevant.)
I hope somebody can help me out; I have mb's of data stored on this
drive.

JoJoBAH

I just discovered findpart, here is some more info from it:

Findpart, version 4.42.
Copyright Svend Olaf Mikkelsen, 1999-2004.

OS: DOS 7.10

Disk: PS Cylinders: 30401 Heads: 255 Sectors: 63 MB: 238473
IDE CHS: 16383/16/63 CTM: 4047/16/255 IDE MB: 238475
User sectors: 488397168

--PCyl N ID -----Rel -----Num ---MB --Start CHS- ---End CHS-- BS CHS
0 - 07 63 2025009 988 0 1 1 126 13 63 B OK
0 - 07 2025072477149904232983 126 14 1 29827 66 63 B OK
0 - 07479174976 9222192 4503 29827 67 1 30401 80 63 B OK?

No FATs found.

Partitions according to partition tables on primary slave:

--PCyl N ID -----Rel -----Num ---MB --Start CHS- ---End CHS-- BS CHS
0 1 55 63 2025009 988 0 1 1 1023 15 63 NB
0 1 1 126 13 63 Actual
0 2 07 2025072477149904232983 1023 0 1 1023 15 63 OK NB
126 14 1 29827 66 63 Actual
0 3 07479174976 9222192 4503 1023 0 1 1023 15 63 OK NB
29827 67 1 30401 80 63 Actual?

EZ adjusted:

No signature CHS: 0 0 1

Arnie doesn't have a clue about Disk Manager, or Windows in general.

Initializing the disk will just write a signature before the partition table.
From you next post, the partition table seems OK for Win 2K/XP.

Your volumes should come back, so run chkdsk (without /f!). Chkdsk cannot fix
major
corruption.

Previously jojobah@hotmail.com wrote:
> I did a clean install of WinXP Pro sp2 and lost the three partitions on
> the second HD (Hitachi 250 mb). Disk Manager reported it as being
> unallocated space. When I tried to run PartitionMagic 8, it gave me an
> error saying that EZ-drive had been detected. So I ran CleanTrack0,
> which I dl'd from here: http://resq.co.il/iv_tools.php, on the problem
> disk; now XP's Disk Manager reports the drive as "not initialized". If
> I choose to initialize, will this fix my problem, or will it erase the
> data? (Btw, I did back up Track 0 before I ran CleanTrack0, if that
> becomes relevant.)
> I hope somebody can help me out; I have mb's of data stored on this
> drive.

Well, initialising will not erase your data in the sense that it
is gone, but it will make it even harder to access than it is now.

There has been a lot of discussion here on how to recover lost
partitions. Best have a look though the archives on google groups.

Also restoring that track0 might be a good idea, since the partition
table may still be there.

Arno

"Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:d2aeg801ehi@enews1.newsguy.com
> Arnie doesn't have a clue about Disk Manager, or Windows in general.
>
> Initializing the disk will just write a signature before the partition table.
> From you next post, the partition table seems OK for Win 2K/XP.
>

> Your volumes should come back, so run chkdsk (without /f!).

And what will that do to partition type 55: ?

55 EZ-Drive, EZ-Drive is another disk manager (by MicroHouse, 1992).

"Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message
> "Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Initializing the disk will just write a signature before the partition
table.
> > From you next post, the partition table seems OK for Win 2K/XP.
>
> > Your volumes should come back, so run chkdsk (without /f!).
>
> And what will that do to partition type 55: ?
>
> 55 EZ-Drive, EZ-Drive is another disk manager (by MicroHouse, 1992).

There is no type 55 in the MBR anymore. He has 3 NTFS with correct LBA
values.

> > Chkdsk cannot fix major corruption.

I suggest you use partition table doctor.It provides very useful
functions: Backup partition table, Restore partition table, Rebuild
partition table, undelete partition,Fixboot.
please reference : How to Recover Lost or Deleted Partition by
Partition Table Doctor

http://www.ptdd.com/recoverylostpartition.htm

"Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:d2erjv11a6@enews1.newsguy.com
> "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message news:3auldbF6fpf47U4@individual.net...
> > "Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:d2aeg801ehi@enews1.newsguy.com
> > >
> > > Initializing the disk will just write a signature before the partition table.
> > > From you next post, the partition table seems OK for Win 2K/XP.
> >
> > > Your volumes should come back, so run chkdsk (without /f!).
> >
> > And what will that do to partition type 55: ?
> >
> > 55 EZ-Drive, EZ-Drive is another disk manager (by MicroHouse, 1992).
> >

> There is no type 55 in the MBR anymore.

You disagree with the Findpart report?

If not the MBR then what exactly do you think these lines mean: ?

Partitions according to partition tables on primary slave:

--PCyl N ID -----Rel -----Num ---MB --Start CHS- ---End CHS-- BS CHS
0 1 55 63 2025009 988 0 1 1 1023 15 63 NB
0 1 1 126 13 63 Actual

> He has 3 NTFS with correct LBA values.

According to the partition records, not the MBR

> > > Chkdsk cannot fix major corruption.

joeP

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

<A SPAMMING IDIOT> wrote in message
> I suggest you use partition table doctor.

I suggest you get last and stick PTD where the sun don't shine ...

joeP

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"F'Nut" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message
> "Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Arnie doesn't have a clue about Disk Manager, or Windows in general.
> >
> > Initializing the disk will just write a signature before the partition
table.
> > From you next post, the partition table seems OK for Win 2K/XP.
> >

> > Your volumes should come back, so run chkdsk (without /f!).
>
> And what will that do to partition type 55: ?

Well F'Nut, if you know the answer, why ask and not explain?

--
Joepie

joeP

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"F'Nut fanclub member Joep" <available@request.nl> wrote in message
> "F'Nut" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message
> > "Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Arnie doesn't have a clue about Disk Manager, or Windows in general.
> > >
> > > Initializing the disk will just write a signature before the partition
> table.
> > > From you next post, the partition table seems OK for Win 2K/XP.
> > >

> > > Your volumes should come back, so run chkdsk (without /f!).
> >
> > And what will that do to partition type 55: ?
>
> Well F'Nut, if you know the answer, why ask and not explain?

Oops, forgot to add; 'you annoying little troll'.