Continued problem with the ARGOSY - HD363N - Network Storage

Greetings,

I continue to struggle with the setup of this device. I’ve set it up,
it shows in my network and the drives are mapped. However, whenever I
try and move files to it it move about 2 or 4 megs and then I get a
message that says the specified network name is no longer available.
yet when I go to my computer it still shows the drive mapped and
accessible. Any ideas?

Thanks

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/PC-Storage-Continued-problem-ARGOSY-HD363N-Network-ftopict51476.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=250047

bobval

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2005

Hello:

I have been having the same problems with the ARGOSY Network Drive.

I think I figured it out. The Argosy Network Drive uses FAT for it's
file system, FAT uses a FIXED Allocation Block size for files. I have
a 200 gig drive in there and for FAT to reference it all it MUST use
32K as the file allocation size. Now I have been trying to copy 11,128
files that take up 92 gig to this drive. The drive I am copying from
is using NTFS which uses variable file allocation size. the same
amount of files copied to the Argosy Network Drive would require 303
gig. Because for each file the Argosy uses 32k. My average file size
is 8 - 10k but on the Argosy they will all be 32k. Using 3 times as
much storage as needed.

I think I need to find a different solution that uses a variable
allocation size like NTFS used by windows XP, etc.

Bob Valentino

I agreed with Bob on those small files. However, I found some of the
backup is very useful on the FAT32. Plus, it will need to work with MAC
environment to share the files over the network.... Just a thought.