Error Copying File or Folder - because of an I/O device er..

When I copy AVSEQ??.DAT files from VCDs to the Hard Disk,
I get the following message:

Error Copying File or Folder

Cannot copy AVSEQ02: The request could not be peformed
because of an I/O device error.

This happens almost always, but in some cases (only
certain VCDs) the file gets copied. I checked on other
machines of the same brand (HP) and also another brand
(DELL) all running Windows XP and got the same error when
the same CD is used but that problem is not there in
Windows 98 (on DELL machines). If the file gets copied, it
gets copied on any machine running XP but if it does not,
on all machines running XP, it will not.

Problem Area: Other
Frequency of problem: Always Happens
Operating system / version: Microsoft Windows XP
Professional-5.1.2600
Computer manufacturer and model: X86-based PC, Hewlett-
Packard, HP d220 MT(DG998AV)
Processor model and speed: x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping
9, 2799(MHz)
Memory (RAM): 247.484375 MB
7 answers Last reply
More about error copying file folder device

    See:
    http://www.moviecodec.com/thread/864.html
    www.coribright.com

    "Amal T Fernando" <amal@slpa.lk> wrote in message
    > When I copy AVSEQ??.DAT files from VCDs to the Hard Disk,
    > I get the following message:
    >
    > Error Copying File or Folder
    >
    > Cannot copy AVSEQ02: The request could not be peformed
    > because of an I/O device error.
    >
    > This happens almost always, but in some cases (only
    > certain VCDs) the file gets copied. I checked on other
    > machines of the same brand (HP) and also another brand
    > (DELL) all running Windows XP and got the same error when
    > the same CD is used but that problem is not there in
    > Windows 98 (on DELL machines). If the file gets copied, it
    > gets copied on any machine running XP but if it does not,
    > on all machines running XP, it will not.
    >
    > Problem Area: Other
    > Frequency of problem: Always Happens
    > Operating system / version: Microsoft Windows XP
    > Professional-5.1.2600
    > Computer manufacturer and model: X86-based PC, Hewlett-
    > Packard, HP d220 MT(DG998AV)
    > Processor model and speed: x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping
    > 9, 2799(MHz)
    > Memory (RAM): 247.484375 MB

    Hi Cari,

    Thank you very much for your response. What is there
    looks similar but the issue I am facing is a bit
    different. The solution suggested may work but it cannot
    be used in my case. The reasons are, that one cannot
    rename a file on a VCD and my basic problem is the
    inability to copy though a file could be renamed once it
    is on the Hard Disk. I just can't get it on Hard Disk.
    The issue as I see is in XP, rather than in VCD.

    Kind regards

    Amal.

    Check the ribbon cables between CD/DVD drive and motherboard.
    www.coribright.com

    "Amal T Fernando" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Cari,
    >
    > Thank you very much for your response. What is there
    > looks similar but the issue I am facing is a bit
    > different. The solution suggested may work but it cannot
    > be used in my case. The reasons are, that one cannot
    > rename a file on a VCD and my basic problem is the
    > inability to copy though a file could be renamed once it
    > is on the Hard Disk. I just can't get it on Hard Disk.
    > The issue as I see is in XP, rather than in VCD.
    >
    > Kind regards
    >
    > Amal.

    Thank you for your response. I checked the cables as well
    after you suggested. But, this is happening in all XP
    machines I know. If the File on VCD cannot be copied in
    one XP machine, it cannot be copied in any other machine
    as well, but get copied in Windows 98 Second Edition
    machines. What we have here are CD-ROM drives and not DVD
    drives.

    Kind regards

    Amal.

    I suspect this to be related to:

    Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 811839
    An I/O Device Error May Occur When You Access the Floppy
    Disk Drive in Windows XP Service Pack 1

    Can somobody help please?

    Amal.

  6. I've encountered same issue and what I did was to open the file, for my case aveseq01.dat, a multimedia file, on a multimedia player. I used media player classic, while playing the video, I went to File, then Save As, (just like saving a document) and then pointed the file to desktop for easier access then a copy of the file you wish to copy will be placed on your desktop. Hope this could help for future readers who have encountered the same case.

    * I have tried running the same scenario on Win2K and WinXP machine and have encountered the same case. This I believe has nothing to do with the operating system that you're using.
  7. your VCDs Damage !

Video Windows XP