SATA drive too slow

Hello,

I have an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard. It was configured with an a 10k
Fujitsu 36gig SCSI drive (running off a Tekram 390U3D card) as the
boot/system drive and a RAID0 setup of two Seagate 120gig SATA drives
connected to the Southbridge SATA connectors as data drives.

This setup worked fine for months, however, recnetly one of the two drives
in the RAID0 crashed. I pulled it out and, after reformatting, left the
remaining drive to run by itself. My problem is that the remaining Seagate
is running terribly slow. I have re-installed WinXP and have checked the
connections of the cabling etc and all appears ok. What could the problem
be?

Thanks Shane

no spam <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I have an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard. It was configured with an a 10k
> Fujitsu 36gig SCSI drive (running off a Tekram 390U3D card) as the boot/system
> drive and a RAID0 setup of two Seagate 120gig SATA drives connected to the
> Southbridge SATA connectors as data drives.
>
> This setup worked fine for months, however, recnetly one of the two drives in
> the RAID0 crashed. I pulled it out and, after reformatting, left the
> remaining drive to run by itself. My problem is that the remaining Seagate
> is running terribly slow. I have re-installed WinXP and have checked the
> connections of the cabling etc and all appears ok. What could the problem be?

One possibility is that its dying too and the retrys that succeed are why it
feels slow.

That, combined with the fact that its not in a RAID0 config anymore might
explain it.

How have you decided it slow ? By a benchmark like HDTach or just the feel ?

Hello Rod,
I tried transferring 4gig of data from another to this drive and it appeared
that it was going to take an hour or so. After 10 minutes or so only 1gig
had been copied. I gave up and cancelled the exercise.

Shane

> no spam <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> I have an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard. It was configured with an a
>> 10k Fujitsu 36gig SCSI drive (running off a Tekram 390U3D card) as the
>> boot/system drive and a RAID0 setup of two Seagate 120gig SATA drives
>> connected to the Southbridge SATA connectors as data drives.
>>
>> This setup worked fine for months, however, recnetly one of the two
>> drives in the RAID0 crashed. I pulled it out and, after reformatting,
>> left the remaining drive to run by itself. My problem is that the
>> remaining Seagate
>> is running terribly slow. I have re-installed WinXP and have checked the
>> connections of the cabling etc and all appears ok. What could the
>> problem be?
>
> One possibility is that its dying too and the retrys that succeed are why
> it feels slow.
>
> That, combined with the fact that its not in a RAID0 config anymore might
> explain it.
>
> How have you decided it slow ? By a benchmark like HDTach or just the
> feel ?

I'd add also, that my whole system seemed to slow down when booting up and
shutting down with the drive installed. I removed it from the PC and
replaced it with a spare 36gig scsi on the aforementioned scsi chain and now
the machine operates much faster on booting up and shutting down. I thought
that maybe I'd did not configure the drive correctly or that perhaps the
controller was playing up. Anyway, I've ordered a single 200gig SATA drive
which will replace the RAID0 drives.

> Hello Rod,
> I tried transferring 4gig of data from another to this drive and it
> appeared that it was going to take an hour or so. After 10 minutes or so
> only 1gig had been copied. I gave up and cancelled the exercise.
>
> Shane
>
> "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> no spam <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> I have an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard. It was configured with an a
>>> 10k Fujitsu 36gig SCSI drive (running off a Tekram 390U3D card) as the
>>> boot/system drive and a RAID0 setup of two Seagate 120gig SATA drives
>>> connected to the Southbridge SATA connectors as data drives.
>>>
>>> This setup worked fine for months, however, recnetly one of the two
>>> drives in the RAID0 crashed. I pulled it out and, after reformatting,
>>> left the remaining drive to run by itself. My problem is that the
>>> remaining Seagate
>>> is running terribly slow. I have re-installed WinXP and have checked
>>> the connections of the cabling etc and all appears ok. What could the
>>> problem be?
>>
>> One possibility is that its dying too and the retrys that succeed are why
>> it feels slow.
>>
>> That, combined with the fact that its not in a RAID0 config anymore might
>> explain it.
>>
>> How have you decided it slow ? By a benchmark like HDTach or just the
>> feel ?

no spam <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Hello Rod,
> I tried transferring 4gig of data from another to this drive and it appeared
> that it was going to take an hour or so. After 10 minutes or so only 1gig had
> been copied. I gave up and cancelled the exercise.

Best to try HDTach on it and see what speed it sees.

> "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> no spam <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> I have an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard. It was configured with an a 10k
>>> Fujitsu 36gig SCSI drive (running off a Tekram 390U3D card) as the
>>> boot/system drive and a RAID0 setup of two Seagate 120gig SATA drives
>>> connected to the Southbridge SATA connectors as data drives.
>>>
>>> This setup worked fine for months, however, recnetly one of the two drives
>>> in the RAID0 crashed. I pulled it out and, after reformatting, left the
>>> remaining drive to run by itself. My problem is that the remaining Seagate
>>> is running terribly slow. I have re-installed WinXP and have checked the
>>> connections of the cabling etc and all appears ok. What could the problem
>>> be?
>>
>> One possibility is that its dying too and the retrys that succeed are why it
>> feels slow.
>>
>> That, combined with the fact that its not in a RAID0 config anymore might
>> explain it.
>>
>> How have you decided it slow ? By a benchmark like HDTach or just the feel ?

TRENDING THREADS