Access Old HD with BIOS LBA or Large?

Blank

Hi Group,

I have this 10 year old Maxtor 546MB 7546AT IDE drive (from the
pre-Win95 era) that I would like to access / ghost. Unfortunately I no
longer have the system to which this drive was connected.

The problem is that I don't remember how I setup this drive in the
system BIOS. (Large or LBA, although I *think* it was Large in the
BIOS).

To further make matters more complex this drive was compressed using
stacker.

I plan to hook the drive up and boot from a CD and then ghosting it.

This is so I avoid booting from the drive itself and corrupting it in
case something goes wrong.

Will I damage the drive if I select the wrong translation method?
How can I tell what were the BIOS settings used for a drive?
What about newer systems that don't give you the choice for "Large"?

What's the best way to access/ghost this drive without screwing it up?

Anybody remember anything about Stacker for Dos (I think it was v3.1)?

Squeeky.

AFIAK, booting a DOS 5/6 floppy will never damage the hard drives. If you
boot the HD, you get an error from the MBR or FAT boot sector if the geometry
is wrong.

Dunno if Ghost will accept incorrect geometry. I would boot from floppy, run
Svend's findpart, then "scandisk /checkonly". www.partitionsupport.com -
findpart.

If stacker is like drivespace, you will see a FAT16 volume with a compressed
image file. You need to examine config.sys to see how it loads.

"BLANK" <justme@paranoid.tv> wrote in message

> I have this 10 year old Maxtor 546MB 7546AT IDE drive (from the
> pre-Win95 era) that I would like to access / ghost. Unfortunately I no
> longer have the system to which this drive was connected.
>
> The problem is that I don't remember how I setup this drive in the
> system BIOS. (Large or LBA, although I *think* it was Large in the
> BIOS).
>
> To further make matters more complex this drive was compressed using
> stacker.
>
> I plan to hook the drive up and boot from a CD and then ghosting it.
>
> This is so I avoid booting from the drive itself and corrupting it in
> case something goes wrong.
>
> Will I damage the drive if I select the wrong translation method?
> How can I tell what were the BIOS settings used for a drive?
> What about newer systems that don't give you the choice for "Large"?
>
> What's the best way to access/ghost this drive without screwing it up?

Use auto.
Do a Findpart or Partinfo.
Show results and try not to break them when posting.
Remember, try not to break the report when posting.

"BLANK" <justme@paranoid.tv> wrote in message news:456p41lna899e155e7hpi8cpn5qgvbic2u@4ax.com
> Hi Group,
>
> I have this 10 year old Maxtor 546MB 7546AT IDE drive (from the
> pre-Win95 era) that I would like to access / ghost. Unfortunately I no
> longer have the system to which this drive was connected.
>
> The problem is that I don't remember how I setup this drive in the sys-
> tem BIOS. (Large or LBA, although I *think* it was Large in the BIOS).

546MB? Try 'Normal'.

> To further make matters more complex this drive was compressed using
> stacker.
>
> I plan to hook the drive up and boot from a CD and then ghosting it.
>
> This is so I avoid booting from the drive itself and corrupting it in
> case something goes wrong.
>
> Will I damage the drive if I select the wrong translation method?
> How can I tell what were the BIOS settings used for a drive?
> What about newer systems that don't give you the choice for "Large"?
>
> What's the best way to access/ghost this drive without screwing it up?
>
> Anybody remember anything about Stacker for Dos (I think it was v3.1)?
>
> Squeeky.

BLANK <justme@paranoid.tv> wrote in message

> Hi Group,

Lo Goupie, Groper ?

> I have this 10 year old Maxtor 546MB 7546AT IDE drive (from the
> pre-Win95 era) that I would like to access / ghost. Unfortunately
> I no longer have the system to which this drive was connected.

> The problem is that I don't remember how I setup this drive in the system
> BIOS. (Large or LBA, although I *think* it was Large in the BIOS).

Its best to use the AUTO drive type initially and see if you can
see the contents of the drive, dont write to the drive at all until
you are sure that you can see the contents properly.

> To further make matters more complex
> this drive was compressed using stacker.

Urk.

> I plan to hook the drive up and boot from a CD and then ghosting it.

> This is so I avoid booting from the drive itself
> and corrupting it in case something goes wrong.

> Will I damage the drive if I select the wrong translation method?

Only if you actually write to it.

> How can I tell what were the BIOS settings used for a drive?

It isnt easy, particularly if some wrong numbers were used for the CHS
values. That can easily happen with a drive that size, some chose to set
it them up for a 512MB size, when used on systems which didnt have
LBA support, and lose the small extra space for simplicity.

One approach is to try the obvious possibilitys and see which one
makes the drive contents visible. Not trivial tho with stacker used.

One of the diagnostic utes can suggest what values were used.

> What about newer systems that don't give you the choice for "Large"?

Just use AUTO and see if its visible.

> What's the best way to access/ghost this drive without screwing it up?

One of the systems that copy at the sector level is safer than ghost.

> Anybody remember anything about Stacker for Dos (I think it was v3.1)?

Just the name, basically. There's bound to be something with google tho.

> Squeeky.

Watch out for The Cat.

Alan

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 17:07:30 -0800, BLANK <justme@paranoid.tv> wrote:

>Hi Group,
>
>I have this 10 year old Maxtor 546MB 7546AT IDE drive (from the
>pre-Win95 era) that I would like to access / ghost. Unfortunately I no
>longer have the system to which this drive was connected.

>Anybody remember anything about Stacker for Dos (I think it was v3.1)?
>
>Squeeky.

With the Stacker driver loaded, you can access the compressed files.
Otherwise, you see just one big volume file.

From <http://www.drdos.com/dosdoc/usergeng/12ugch12.htm>:

An unmounted Stacker drive contains the following files only:
STACVOL.DSK, the file containing the compressed data
STACKER.EXE, the program that mounts the Stacker drive
README.STC, which identifies this drive as a Stacker drive and tells
you to run STACKER on it

To make the compressed drive available on a non-Stacker computer,
simply run STACKER by typing the following at the system prompt, where
d is the drive letter of the compressed drive:
STACKER d: <Enter>

UNSTACK removes all the files from the compressed drive, decompresses
them, places them back on the uncompressed drive it created when you
originally compressed the drive, and deletes the STACVOL file.

~~~
If the "stacker.exe" file isn't there, Stacker is included with DRDOS,
you can download it (included in DRDOS) from
<http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/drdos/DR-DOS.703/>
Use that to make a DRDOS boot floppy, load Stacker, read and copy the
drive files. You could extract stacker.exe from the image files with
WinImage, maybe it'll run under MSDOS.

Eric Gisin <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> AFIAK, booting a DOS 5/6 floppy will never damage the hard drives.

Just as true of booting one of the universal boot CDs etc too.

> If you boot the HD, you get an error from the MBR
> or FAT boot sector if the geometry is wrong.

Wrong.

> Dunno if Ghost will accept incorrect geometry. I would boot from floppy, run
> Svend's findpart, then "scandisk /checkonly". www.partitionsupport.com -
> findpart.

> If stacker is like drivespace,

It isnt.

> you will see a FAT16 volume with a compressed image
> file. You need to examine config.sys to see how it loads.

You dont even know its bootable.

> "BLANK" <justme@paranoid.tv> wrote in message
>>
>> I have this 10 year old Maxtor 546MB 7546AT IDE drive (from the
>> pre-Win95 era) that I would like to access / ghost. Unfortunately I no
>> longer have the system to which this drive was connected.
>>
>> The problem is that I don't remember how I setup this drive in the
>> system BIOS. (Large or LBA, although I *think* it was Large in the
>> BIOS).
>>
>> To further make matters more complex this drive was compressed using
>> stacker.
>>
>> I plan to hook the drive up and boot from a CD and then ghosting it.
>>
>> This is so I avoid booting from the drive itself and corrupting it in
>> case something goes wrong.
>>
>> Will I damage the drive if I select the wrong translation method?
>> How can I tell what were the BIOS settings used for a drive?
>> What about newer systems that don't give you the choice for "Large"?
>>
>> What's the best way to access/ghost this drive without screwing it up?

BLANK <justme@paranoid.tv> wrote:

> I have this 10 year old Maxtor 546MB 7546AT IDE drive (from the
> pre-Win95 era) that I would like to access / ghost. Unfortunately I no
> longer have the system to which this drive was connected.

Was it the boot drive, or slaved? If boot, then the drive will wake up on its
own when setup with the proper geometry.

> The problem is that I don't remember how I setup this drive in the
> system BIOS. (Large or LBA, although I *think* it was Large in the
> BIOS).

There should be no problem trying all settings of the BIOS, normal / large / LBA
with the drive set as auto. Just boot of a floppy and look in the hard drives
root directory with the command DIR C:\ /AH (what you are looking for has the
hidden attribute set) and see if there is a large file named STACKVOL.DSK. If
there is one, then you just found the compressed volume file and you know that
the BIOS settings are correct. Start now the drive from its own system and the
"stacked" volume should mount automatically.

> To further make matters more complex this drive was compressed using
> stacker.
>
> I plan to hook the drive up and boot from a CD and then ghosting it.

Pointless.

> This is so I avoid booting from the drive itself and corrupting it in
> case something goes wrong.

A clone prepared with the wrong geometry won't be worth the time and effort.

> Will I damage the drive if I select the wrong translation method?

No, on condition that you don't write anything to the drive. A DEL command, or
even an OS piping (may occur with booting of CD!) may corrupt your root
directory and kiss then your data goodbye.

> How can I tell what were the BIOS settings used for a drive?

Explained above.

> What about newer systems that don't give you the choice for "Large"?

They may be unfit for the job. You need a machine where you can select between
normal / large / LBA, and set the IDE mode from 0,1,2,3,4 and auto. Some of
those early IDE require a lower mode than the later ones.

> What's the best way to access/ghost this drive without screwing it up?

The best way is to keep Ghost and the drive apart. About one mile will do. ;)

> Anybody remember anything about Stacker for Dos (I think it was v3.1)?

Apparently many do. ;-)

Regards, Zvi
--
NetZ Computing Ltd. ISRAEL www.invircible.com www.ivi.co.il (Hebrew)
InVircible Virus Defense Solutions, ResQ and Data Recovery Utilities

peter

> Hi Group,
>
> I have this 10 year old Maxtor 546MB 7546AT IDE drive (from the
> pre-Win95 era) that I would like to access / ghost. Unfortunately I no
> longer have the system to which this drive was connected.
>
> The problem is that I don't remember how I setup this drive in the
> system BIOS. (Large or LBA, although I *think* it was Large in the
> BIOS).
>
> To further make matters more complex this drive was compressed using
> stacker.
>
> I plan to hook the drive up and boot from a CD and then ghosting it.
>
> This is so I avoid booting from the drive itself and corrupting it in
> case something goes wrong.
>
> Will I damage the drive if I select the wrong translation method?
> How can I tell what were the BIOS settings used for a drive?
> What about newer systems that don't give you the choice for "Large"?
>
> What's the best way to access/ghost this drive without screwing it up?
>
> Anybody remember anything about Stacker for Dos (I think it was v3.1)?
>
> Squeeky.

Try to setup CHS 1024/16/63 in bios, then boot.
If not, CHS 1060/16/63 (native) might work.

"Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3b3vp6F6fqej8U1@individual.net
> Eric Gisin <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:d2hsld027u2@enews3.newsguy.com...
>
> > AFIAK, booting a DOS 5/6 floppy will never damage the hard drives.
>
> Just as true of booting one of the universal boot CDs etc too.
>
> > If you boot the HD, you get an error from the MBR
> > or FAT boot sector if the geometry is wrong.
>
> Wrong.

Nope, totally correct.

Zvi Netiv <support@replace_with_domain.com> wrote in message
> BLANK <justme@paranoid.tv> wrote:

>> I have this 10 year old Maxtor 546MB 7546AT IDE drive (from the
>> pre-Win95 era) that I would like to access / ghost. Unfortunately I
>> no longer have the system to which this drive was connected.

> Was it the boot drive, or slaved? If boot, then the drive will
> wake up on its own when setup with the proper geometry.

Thats just plain wrong.

>> The problem is that I don't remember how I
>> setup this drive in the system BIOS. (Large or
>> LBA, although I *think* it was Large in the BIOS).

> There should be no problem trying all settings of the
> BIOS, normal / large / LBA with the drive set as auto.

Utterly mangled. Its either set to auto or to one of the other settings.

> Just boot of a floppy and look in the hard drives root directory with
> the command DIR C:\ /AH (what you are looking for has the hidden
> attribute set) and see if there is a large file named STACKVOL.DSK.
> If there is one, then you just found the compressed volume file and
> you know that the BIOS settings are correct.

No you dont with just a couple of files visible in the root.

> Start now the drive from its own system and
> the "stacked" volume should mount automatically.

Wrong again if its not a bootable drive.

>> To further make matters more complex
>> this drive was compressed using stacker.

>> I plan to hook the drive up and boot from a CD and then ghosting it.

> Pointless.

Nope. Ghosting it allows graceful recovery if the drive type setting
is set wrong and the drive is written to with the wrong settings.

>> This is so I avoid booting from the drive itself
>> and corrupting it in case something goes wrong.

> A clone prepared with the wrong geometry won't be worth the time and effort.

Wrong.

>> Will I damage the drive if I select the wrong translation method?

> No, on condition that you don't write anything to the drive. A DEL
> command, or even an OS piping (may occur with booting of CD!)
> may corrupt your root directory and kiss then your data goodbye.

>> How can I tell what were the BIOS settings used for a drive?

> Explained above.

Fraid not.

>> What about newer systems that don't give you the choice for "Large"?

> They may be unfit for the job. You need a machine
> where you can select between normal / large / LBA,
> and set the IDE mode from 0,1,2,3,4 and auto.

Nope.

> Some of those early IDE require a lower mode than the later ones.

Should negotiate the lower settings fine.

Folkert Rienstra <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message
> Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote
>> Eric Gisin <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote

>>> AFIAK, booting a DOS 5/6 floppy will never damage the hard drives.

>> Just as true of booting one of the universal boot CDs etc too.

>>> If you boot the HD, you get an error from the MBR
>>> or FAT boot sector if the geometry is wrong.

>> Wrong.

> Nope, totally correct.

Wrong.

>>> Dunno if Ghost will accept incorrect geometry. I would boot from floppy, run
>>> Svend's findpart, then "scandisk /checkonly". www.partitionsupport.com -
>>> findpart.

>>> If stacker is like drivespace,

>> It isnt.

>>> you will see a FAT16 volume with a compressed image
>>> file. You need to examine config.sys to see how it loads.

>> You dont even know its bootable.

> "This is so I avoid booting from the drive itself ..."

Doesnt mean its actually bootable.

"Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
>> Hi Group,
>>
>> I have this 10 year old Maxtor 546MB 7546AT IDE drive (from the
>> pre-Win95 era) that I would like to access / ghost. Unfortunately I no
>> longer have the system to which this drive was connected.
>>
>> The problem is that I don't remember how I setup this drive in the
>> system BIOS. (Large or LBA, although I *think* it was Large in the
>> BIOS).
>>
>> To further make matters more complex this drive was compressed using
>> stacker.
>>
>> I plan to hook the drive up and boot from a CD and then ghosting it.
>>
>> This is so I avoid booting from the drive itself and corrupting it in
>> case something goes wrong.
>>
>> Will I damage the drive if I select the wrong translation method?
>> How can I tell what were the BIOS settings used for a drive?
>> What about newer systems that don't give you the choice for "Large"?
>>
>> What's the best way to access/ghost this drive without screwing it up?
>>
>> Anybody remember anything about Stacker for Dos (I think it was v3.1)?
>>
>> Squeeky.

> Try to setup CHS 1024/16/63 in bios, then boot.

Not a good idea to boot.

> If not, CHS 1060/16/63 (native) might work.

Very unlikely indeed.

"Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Zvi Netiv <support@replace_with_domain.com> wrote in message
>
> >> I have this 10 year old Maxtor 546MB 7546AT IDE drive (from the
> >> pre-Win95 era) that I would like to access / ghost. Unfortunately I
> >> no longer have the system to which this drive was connected.
>
> > Was it the boot drive, or slaved? If boot, then the drive will
> > wake up on its own when setup with the proper geometry.
>
> Thats just plain wrong.

Instead of arguing, why don't you simply watch silently and learn? I did this
more than once, with Stacker, DriveSpace, DoubleSpace and SuperStor. They all
are dynamic drive compressions that were used at one stage or another, and
function on the same principles as Stacker.

> >> The problem is that I don't remember how I
> >> setup this drive in the system BIOS. (Large or
> >> LBA, although I *think* it was Large in the BIOS).
>
> > There should be no problem trying all settings of the
> > BIOS, normal / large / LBA with the drive set as auto.
>
> Utterly mangled. Its either set to auto or to one of the other settings.

You are confusing things. The one to set to auto in the BIOS is the drive
'type'. The other parameter was called 'mode' in older BIOSes, and just a plain
"LBA / LARGE" caption in the newer ones. Both type and mode have an 'auto'
state in their setting, often referred to as auto/auto by some of the better
informed regulars in this group.

> > Just boot of a floppy and look in the hard drives root directory with
> > the command DIR C:\ /AH (what you are looking for has the hidden
> > attribute set) and see if there is a large file named STACKVOL.DSK.
> > If there is one, then you just found the compressed volume file and
> > you know that the BIOS settings are correct.
>
> No you dont with just a couple of files visible in the root.

Learn something new: You will see nonsensical data for root if the geometry is
wrong (in result of incorrect translation parameters). When the directory shows
correctly, then you know that you hit the correct settings. Besides, who was
talking about "just three files"? All that I said is that if you can see the
CVF in the root directory then you are on the correct settings. Nowhere do I
say that you should see no other files, "just" the CVF.

> > Start now the drive from its own system and
> > the "stacked" volume should mount automatically.
>
> Wrong again if its not a bootable drive.

Every reasonable reader understands that the drive will mount automatically only
if it is was a boot drive, and so far, the OP didn't contradict that assumption.

> >> To further make matters more complex
> >> this drive was compressed using stacker.
>
> >> I plan to hook the drive up and boot from a CD and then ghosting it.
>
> > Pointless.
>
> Nope. Ghosting it allows graceful recovery if the drive type setting
> is set wrong and the drive is written to with the wrong settings.

With all due respect, you have no clue on what you are talking about. Writing
to the drive with the wrong settings (which is extremely difficult, but Ghost is
definitely capable of doing it) will dramatically lessen the chances to mount
the Stacker volume. Ghosting the drive with these settings will produce a
worthless clone. To produce a clone that is worth its salt, you need first
finding the correct drive settings in the BIOS (i.e. the CVF should be visible
and *intact*), and then clone with Ghost or whatever you like, with the correct
drive settings. Yet if you already found the correct settings, then you may
mount the compressed drive from its own disk, or from external booting (with the
Stacker driver on floppy) and backup what you need.

> >> This is so I avoid booting from the drive itself
> >> and corrupting it in case something goes wrong.
>
> > A clone prepared with the wrong geometry won't be worth the time and effort.
>
> Wrong.

See above.

> >> What about newer systems that don't give you the choice for "Large"?
>
> > They may be unfit for the job. You need a machine
> > where you can select between normal / large / LBA,
> > and set the IDE mode from 0,1,2,3,4 and auto.
>
> Nope.

You obviously have no clue.

> > Some of those early IDE require a lower mode than the later ones.
>
> Should negotiate the lower settings fine.

From experience, older drives don't negotiate the PIO mode properly and you may
have to set it manually, through trial and error. Otherwise why would BIOSes
still have manual PIO settings in their options?

Regards, Zvi