Copy VHS tapes to DVD-R

I would like to copy my leagle. paid for, commercial copy protected VHS tapes
to DVD-R. I have a Toshiba DVR, but get the copy protected message.

I fully understand, and respect, the protection laws and making illeagel
copies, but this is not the case, i just want to protect my big library of
VHS tapes, and convert and use them now on DVD. Any way to do this between
analog inputs/outputs?

The video filter sold by Jaycar or Dick Smith stores may help. It removes
Macrovision. This would need to be connected in series between the VHS
recorder and DVD recorder. Now if your recorder is a combined VHS/DVD
play/record machine you are probably stuffed, and will have to do it from an
external VHS recorder via the input on the DVD recorder. It will not copy
direct from a copy protected tape. As you indicate, this is questionable
practice under copyright laws.