AVI File

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

I have an AVI video on my HD that plays with no problem.

I burned it to a CD on the same computer, but it won't
play. I have tried this twice without success.

Any ideas ?

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

What happens when you copy the avi file back from the CD to the HD (using a
different subdirectory) and attempt to play it?
"Jon" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an AVI video on my HD that plays with no problem.
>
> I burned it to a CD on the same computer, but it won't
> play. I have tried this twice without success.
>
> Any ideas ?

---
Outgoing mail is AVG certified Virus Free.

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

Thanks for your help.

I attempted to copy the file from the CD to my desktop.
I got the following error: Data Error - Cyclical
Redundancy Check

I reburned the original file to a new CD and had the same
problem, yet, the original file on my HD still plays
without a problem.

(http://www.grisoft.com).
9/10/2004

>.

A CRC error is when the data copied to the disc is not exactly the same as
the original file, so the cd file is corrupted. Something along the line is
causing a problem. How large is the avi file, perhpas it's just a little too
large to fit on the disc, or it may be as simple as a faulty batch of cd's
or cd writer failing, bad cable connection, bad ram, motherboard problem.

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

> Thanks for your help.
>
> I attempted to copy the file from the CD to my desktop.
> I got the following error: Data Error - Cyclical
> Redundancy Check
>
> I reburned the original file to a new CD and had the same
> problem, yet, the original file on my HD still plays
> without a problem.

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

Hi Graham -

I've checked the cables. They look OK. I've burned CD's
before and after this problem and they are fine, so I
think we can rule out these problems.

The file is 698mb and the cd is 702. While it is close
to the max, it didn't exceed it and I did not get the
error message that there was not enough space on the CD
to copy the file. Do you think this could still be the
problem ?

Also, am I correct that Windows does not have the
capabilites of splitting the file in two parts ? I don't
have any software that does.

At that size I'd say it could well be. If you have XP then use movie maker
to split it, it handles most avi files, and if you can play it you have the
codec if it isa compressed so hopefully it'll work. Try finding a larger
disc.

Graham

--
Graham Hughes