AVI File

I have an AVI video on my HD that plays with no problem.

I burned it to a CD on the same computer, but it won't
play. I have tried this twice without success.

Any ideas ?
5 answers Last reply
More about file

    What happens when you copy the avi file back from the CD to the HD (using a
    different subdirectory) and attempt to play it?
    "Jon" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have an AVI video on my HD that plays with no problem.
    >
    > I burned it to a CD on the same computer, but it won't
    > play. I have tried this twice without success.
    >
    > Any ideas ?

    ---
    Outgoing mail is AVG certified Virus Free.

    Thanks for your help.

    I attempted to copy the file from the CD to my desktop.
    I got the following error: Data Error - Cyclical
    Redundancy Check

    I reburned the original file to a new CD and had the same
    problem, yet, the original file on my HD still plays
    without a problem.

    (http://www.grisoft.com).
    9/10/2004

    >.

    A CRC error is when the data copied to the disc is not exactly the same as
    the original file, so the cd file is corrupted. Something along the line is
    causing a problem. How large is the avi file, perhpas it's just a little too
    large to fit on the disc, or it may be as simple as a faulty batch of cd's
    or cd writer failing, bad cable connection, bad ram, motherboard problem.

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media

    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > I attempted to copy the file from the CD to my desktop.
    > I got the following error: Data Error - Cyclical
    > Redundancy Check
    >
    > I reburned the original file to a new CD and had the same
    > problem, yet, the original file on my HD still plays
    > without a problem.

    Hi Graham -

    I've checked the cables. They look OK. I've burned CD's
    before and after this problem and they are fine, so I
    think we can rule out these problems.

    The file is 698mb and the cd is 702. While it is close
    to the max, it didn't exceed it and I did not get the
    error message that there was not enough space on the CD
    to copy the file. Do you think this could still be the
    problem ?

    Also, am I correct that Windows does not have the
    capabilites of splitting the file in two parts ? I don't
    have any software that does.

    At that size I'd say it could well be. If you have XP then use movie maker
    to split it, it handles most avi files, and if you can play it you have the
    codec if it isa compressed so hopefully it'll work. Try finding a larger
    disc.

    Graham

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media
    > Hi Graham -
    >
    > I've checked the cables. They look OK. I've burned CD's
    > before and after this problem and they are fine, so I
    > think we can rule out these problems.
    >
    > The file is 698mb and the cd is 702. While it is close
    > to the max, it didn't exceed it and I did not get the
    > error message that there was not enough space on the CD
    > to copy the file. Do you think this could still be the
    > problem ?
    >
    > Also, am I correct that Windows does not have the
    > capabilites of splitting the file in two parts ? I don't
    > have any software that does.

Video AVI Microsoft Windows XP