Sign in with
Your question
Closed

The BSA Rejects the Current Stop Online Piracy Act

Last response: in News comments
November 27, 2011 11:17:04 PM

I hope the bill doesn't get passed in its current form. I want internet to be free.
Score
November 27, 2011 11:25:54 PM

now the gov't is trying to over-regulate and kill the technology sector? are they ever gonna learn all they do is slow down innovation?
Score
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 27, 2011 11:27:05 PM

when the BSA says no...you know you're doing something wrong
Score
November 27, 2011 11:32:56 PM

Software pirating will NEVER be full-proof. Period. They just need to stop trying.

Unless we all go to a cloud, then maybe it'll happen. But we're years ahead of that. For God Sakes, some people still have DIAL-UP!!!
Score
November 27, 2011 11:59:33 PM

Quote:
"bad actors that profit from selling copies of software and other works they do not own."

(Emphasis added.)

Cool.

So how about we put the next logical step into law- prosecuting these guys and not Joe Average Guy (or grandma) for downloading 5 songs?

That way, we can avoid stupid lawsuits which jam up the courts, and take down the automatic settlement websites.

But if Congress is still trying to get this passed, well, there's probably no hope for that for a while.
Score
November 28, 2011 12:04:19 AM

rajohns08now the gov't is trying to over-regulate and kill the technology sector? are they ever gonna learn all they do is slow down innovation?

Would you call people who pirate software innovators in the technology sector? Um... let's hope not. Businesses who innovate in the technology sector don't pirate software, teenagers in their parent's basements pirate software. And that's ok for commercial software (I'm thinking Adobe), the problem lies with pirating video games- which really hurts the industry.
Score
November 28, 2011 12:13:29 AM

I must say, this Rober Holleyman guy doesn't sound like a complete douche.

I wish people like him were running the RIAA and MPAA.
Score
November 28, 2011 12:18:26 AM

11796pcsWould you call people who pirate software innovators in the technology sector? Um... let's hope not. Businesses who innovate in the technology sector don't pirate software, teenagers in their parent's basements pirate software. And that's ok for commercial software (I'm thinking Adobe), the problem lies with pirating video games- which really hurts the industry.

Businesses, in particular the larger one, pirate all the time. The difference is when they get caught they pay a small fine/some licensing fees, the lawyers argue it out in court, and its all swept under the rug. On top of that the media/software industries are not losing money due to pirating (look at any unbiased report, not the usual BS bought and paid for and parroted by the politicians), rather its a scapegoat used to justify putting through draconian laws.
Score
November 28, 2011 12:19:52 AM

@11796 Not going to argue on enterprise or business software, but you'll find in games that critics and review sites do just as much to kill the industry as what software pirates do. With equal advertising you notice that a game that is rated higher will sell a lot more copies than a game that is rated poorly. If the gaming industry wants to do well they need to quit putting out crappy games.
Score
November 28, 2011 12:23:46 AM

11796pcs said:
Would you call people who pirate software innovators in the technology sector? Um... let's hope not. Businesses who innovate in the technology sector don't pirate software, teenagers in their parent's basements pirate software. And that's ok for commercial software (I'm thinking Adobe), the problem lies with pirating video games- which really hurts the industry.

Pic or it didn't happen... does piracy and sales are mutually exclusive?

For commercial software, you're spot on...how many teenage can afford those commercial softwares?
Score
November 28, 2011 12:35:46 AM

Does this mean we are all safe? Or is the Bill still going through congress?
Score
November 28, 2011 12:36:05 AM

Yay :) 
Score
November 28, 2011 12:58:37 AM

This is about taking control of the internet, pirating is just the excuse they need to do it. This WILL pass eventually no doubt.
Score
November 28, 2011 1:31:41 AM

theskyrierDoes this mean we are all safe? Or is the Bill still going through congress?

It's still going....until it's voted down.
Score
November 28, 2011 1:45:18 AM

11796pcsWould you call people who pirate software innovators in the technology sector? Um... let's hope not. Businesses who innovate in the technology sector don't pirate software, teenagers in their parent's basements pirate software. And that's ok for commercial software (I'm thinking Adobe), the problem lies with pirating video games- which really hurts the industry.

best point ever made, besides the video game stuff.
adobe doenst make money off of indaviduals who use the software, its tho pros who use it for work, you know, people who make a liveing off selling the work they do in those programs. hell its the only reason adobe is the standard software is that everyone has a coppy and learns to use it when young, and they go pro, what do they use? software they never seen before, or what they are use to.

video games on the other hand... piracy use to be even easier, you rent the software, and at the counter, they sold the blank floppy discs.

and a fact is that probably more people pirate a game on xbox than on the pc (some places have the statistic at 30+% pirate on xbox) compare that to the people who buy pc games because you cant play online (easily) without buying a coppy.

cumi2k4Pic or it didn't happen... does piracy and sales are mutually exclusive? For commercial software, you're spot on...how many teenage can afford those commercial softwares?

2000+ for adobe creative suite
8000+ for maya
3ds max is what 500ish for new versions

anyone for a non commercial use shouldn't have to pay, i mean really, how many people for a non $ have any of that software to begin with? students sure, but how many house holds?

and for non comertial use, they still put out a home version of some software that is way easier than the pro stuff, and people would still buy it just because its easier.

----------------

personaly i love the quote "bad actors that profit from selling copies of software and other works they do not own." bring piracy laws to their original meaning, stopping people from selling the product.
Score
November 28, 2011 2:08:49 AM

I wish I could slap the guy that came up with the SOPA.
Score
November 28, 2011 2:12:17 AM

so the BSA, Google, and Facebook dislike this bill because it prevents kids from getting free video games? hmmm that's pretty unlikely so you might want to ask yourself WHY they don't like the bill. As the BSA says...the current proposal does not "balance key innovation, privacy and security considerations with the need to thwart the threat rogue websites pose."
Score
November 28, 2011 2:16:32 AM

http://thenextweb.com/insider/2011/11/27/sopa-as-it-sta...
Score
November 28, 2011 2:20:03 AM

If there's a chance for congress to step on civil rights they will do it every time.
Score
November 28, 2011 2:20:46 AM

He probably opposes this because it's nothing but another censorship bill....which the majority of the tech industry is actually against.
Score
November 28, 2011 2:39:41 AM

Honestly, we pay time and again for the same movies. How many times do we have to buy the rights to a movie? I'm pretty sure we've more than paid for the shitty movies and music that get downloaded.
Score
November 28, 2011 2:53:11 AM

JOSHSKORNSoftware pirating will NEVER be full-proof. Period. They just need to stop trying.Unless we all go to a cloud, then maybe it'll happen. But we're years ahead of that. For God Sakes, some people still have DIAL-UP!!!

They should stop trying??? If henry ford had stopped trying to improve his product, we could all go out and buy a 2012 model T...top speed about 30mph.
Score
November 28, 2011 3:07:25 AM

It's not just about sellling somethin you dont own. If you put up full copies of the newest games on your website for anyone to download, and do it for free, no ad revenue even, thats still piracy. Thats no different than goin to a Ford plant, taking a car then putting it in your driveway and sayin anyone can have it for free. You and the person who takes it are both thieves.
Score
November 28, 2011 3:22:52 AM

Borisblade7It's not just about sellling somethin you dont own. If you put up full copies of the newest games on your website for anyone to download, and do it for free, no ad revenue even, thats still piracy. Thats no different than goin to a Ford plant, taking a car then putting it in your driveway and sayin anyone can have it for free. You and the person who takes it are both thieves.

Your analogy is very flawed... When you take a physical item from someone, they no longer have that item in their possession & are out of 1 vehicle. When software is transferred it is COPIED! (duplicated) & the person who it was taken from STILL HAS THE ITEM! By your argument, someone could make a scratch built Mustang & put all the badges on it & they are committing a crime even if they don't try to sell it as genuine?
Score
November 28, 2011 3:55:12 AM

GI_JONESThey should stop trying??? If henry ford had stopped trying to improve his product, we could all go out and buy a 2012 model T...top speed about 30mph.

do you really not get it.
in piracy talk, lets go the wheel. with a wheel you can anywhere you want, fast
what companys try to do is make the wheel less efficient, by having it down to an octagon
well the pirates have files, and they shave those down till its a round wheel again
really even if they made it a square, we would still have it down to a wheel, and it only effects the people who dont pirate it.

did ford ever make his technology less useful or easy to use? or did he make it better?

Borisblade7It's not just about sellling somethin you dont own. If you put up full copies of the newest games on your website for anyone to download, and do it for free, no ad revenue even, thats still piracy. Thats no different than goin to a Ford plant, taking a car then putting it in your driveway and sayin anyone can have it for free. You and the person who takes it are both thieves.

ok idea flawed. lets break it down.

you steal =/= pirate
one less =/= still one, but now there is another
selling what you stole =/= giveing it away for free
buying it =/= getting it for free

you have a point, kind of, but lets take what law things out of the equation and use common sense.

lets assume the person getting it is a 14 year old kind, and the person with it is an adult who knows how to skirt the law.

who is worse here,
the person selling it for money
the kid buying it
the law that can get the seller, but goes after the kid for prison sentence

or lets go this way

the person giveing it away
the person getting it
or the law that cant get the person giving it so it goes after the kid for a prison sentence.

and you have to imagine that there are alot of things that arent available in english or in america, but because of international copyright law, it could be far easier to go after certain groups who acquire the material, translate it and release it.

honestly the world of piracy is filled with grey area, old people who cant accept new tech, and people who embrace the tech, even if it goes outside of the law.

lets say movies for example, would it really be that bad to stream movies to computers they day they are in theaters for 10-20$ i mean it will be online, and i despise going to theaters
would it be so hard to put it online streaming with tv like comertials, to subset the cost of everything... i mean tv stations buy rights to play movies for a reason, they make a proffit off the adds, why not just cut the middle man out and stream it online like that.
and is it so hard to just put a tv show online to stream forever? its already built for comertials.

i despise how they try to stifle tech because they see people as only criminals who want to go see XXXX movie, and if it doesn't turn a proffit, blame piracy because your dog turd of a movie didnt do well.
Score
Anonymous
November 28, 2011 4:31:43 AM

IF piracy never existed gaming/technology would not have improved so much.

Piracy kiked LAN of the ground, and kept it high.
If it wasnt for piracy gaming wouldnt even be 1/3 as big as it is today.
if you can think for yourself then you would notice piracy is a neccesary Evil for progress.
and i dont care what people say Activision, EA, Blizzxard, Crytek, Unreal. those guys make millions, yet they tell me im harming the gaming sector... its not like they pay the creators after release. they only pay for the development.

so, creators got their money, the only thing that piracy does is increase the love for gaming, and almost every pirate i know buys games for online play. So... Either make a legendary game worth buying for Single player(Skyrim), or implement an awesome online. Then people will buy your game, if both are just blant... well you will get blant sales.

Points is, Piracy is a necessary evil in gaming industry, and movies make enough money as well, i see no point in giving some of those actors 5-10 mil for a movie.... heck if they get paid 500 000 it would be enough, but they are used to being spoiled, and they want to keep it like that.

The world is run by greed, and the greedy makes the most money from the uninformed.

Many Technological people found their passion for computers through LAN gaming. and majority of them i can guarantee you has pirated in their youth.

Piracy is needed, at best they should try to limit it, not stop it. i know a few people that lost their love for Technology due to less lan games, Which might thwart piracy, but who knows maybe that guy was gonna invent the next best thing.

Sometimes you need to compromise for progress.
Score
November 28, 2011 4:43:12 AM

Steve-BikoIF piracy never existed gaming/technology would not have improved so much.Piracy kiked LAN of the ground, and kept it high.If it wasnt for piracy gaming wouldnt even be 1/3 as big as it is today.if you can think for yourself then you would notice piracy is a neccesary Evil for progress.and i dont care what people say Activision, EA, Blizzxard, Crytek, Unreal. those guys make millions, yet they tell me im harming the gaming sector... its not like they pay the creators after release. they only pay for the development.so, creators got their money, the only thing that piracy does is increase the love for gaming, and almost every pirate i know buys games for online play. So... Either make a legendary game worth buying for Single player(Skyrim), or implement an awesome online. Then people will buy your game, if both are just blant... well you will get blant sales.Points is, Piracy is a necessary evil in gaming industry, and movies make enough money as well, i see no point in giving some of those actors 5-10 mil for a movie.... heck if they get paid 500 000 it would be enough, but they are used to being spoiled, and they want to keep it like that.The world is run by greed, and the greedy makes the most money from the uninformed.Many Technological people found their passion for computers through LAN gaming. and majority of them i can guarantee you has pirated in their youth.Piracy is needed, at best they should try to limit it, not stop it. i know a few people that lost their love for Technology due to less lan games, Which might thwart piracy, but who knows maybe that guy was gonna invent the next best thing.Sometimes you need to compromise for progress.

i have to agree to some extent. developers get a certain percentage as a bouns too, sometimes.
actors get big money because they are the most necessary part of the movie. think if it, much of the crew is replaceable with anyone else in the field, and it would go by without a hitch, but directors and actors, both are linchpins in the operation. imagine a dirty harry without clint eastwood.

now, for gaming, piracy is a lesser need. software needs it, especially with photoshop like programs, and windows, where people get use to it, and know it so they use it in the pro field. but a game.......... yea..... aside from no demos, there is very little excusable reason to not buy it.
Score
November 28, 2011 5:07:46 AM

Thank You BSA
Score
November 28, 2011 6:59:18 AM

the entertainment industry is floundering... netflix was on the right track until they were hit with rediculous fees for new contracts. media companies need to get together and come up with a way to efficiently access a customized media channel for each user. for example; why do we have to pay for cable channels we don't use? why can't i fully customize a cable package for me? ESPN, G4, AMC, FX, FOOD... that is all i would watch, along with streaming movies of course. we are all getting fleeced by the rich and they want more from us for less every day
Score
November 28, 2011 8:34:12 AM

alidani have to agree to some extent. developers get a certain percentage as a bouns too, sometimes. actors get big money because they are the most necessary part of the movie. think if it, much of the crew is replaceable with anyone else in the field, and it would go by without a hitch, but directors and actors, both are linchpins in the operation. imagine a dirty harry without clint eastwood..

i know what you mean...james bond would not be the same without sean connery...oh wait....
No, directors and actors are also replaceable, you just have to gamble some more, just like all the big stars before their stardom was found.
Score
November 28, 2011 9:36:07 AM

... should be called China Bill...
Score
November 28, 2011 10:27:29 AM

So, if the Bill is still going through Congress, what are the chances of it passing?
If the BSA is opposing it, as well as Yahoo and Google, then perhaps it has low chance of it being made into law?
Score
November 28, 2011 10:45:50 AM

Steve-BikoIF piracy never existed gaming/technology would not have improved so much.Piracy kiked LAN of the ground, and kept it high.If it wasnt for piracy gaming wouldnt even be 1/3 as big as it is today.if you can think for yourself then you would notice piracy is a neccesary Evil for progress.and i dont care what people say Activision, EA, Blizzxard, Crytek, Unreal. those guys make millions, yet they tell me im harming the gaming sector... its not like they pay the creators after release. they only pay for the development.so, creators got their money, the only thing that piracy does is increase the love for gaming, and almost every pirate i know buys games for online play. So... Either make a legendary game worth buying for Single player(Skyrim), or implement an awesome online. Then people will buy your game, if both are just blant... well you will get blant sales.Points is, Piracy is a necessary evil in gaming industry, and movies make enough money as well, i see no point in giving some of those actors 5-10 mil for a movie.... heck if they get paid 500 000 it would be enough, but they are used to being spoiled, and they want to keep it like that.The world is run by greed, and the greedy makes the most money from the uninformed.Many Technological people found their passion for computers through LAN gaming. and majority of them i can guarantee you has pirated in their youth.Piracy is needed, at best they should try to limit it, not stop it. i know a few people that lost their love for Technology due to less lan games, Which might thwart piracy, but who knows maybe that guy was gonna invent the next best thing.Sometimes you need to compromise for progress.

There's really no excuse for pirating.

Plenty of other people are willing buy games without knowing if they suck or not. They will let you know all about what they think of it on Metacritic, etc.
Score
November 28, 2011 11:31:10 AM

This has the potential to be as big as the War on Drugs. Imagine teams of cops in blackhawk helicopters swarming in to get people who download songs illegally. Of course this will need a brand new agency. We can't just require the FBI to do this. No it needs to be something sinister and power, with special weapons and technologies devoted to taking pirates down. It should be called PIT. Piracy Investigation Taskforce (PIT). This will an appropriately sinister name.

Special prisons are a must. We need new prisons with new cops and special re-education programs to bring these offenders back in line.

No knock warrants are a must, not that cops knock anymore anyway. If you don't bust the door in fast and raid the home with some flashbangs in the middle of the night, they might delete the content and flush the hard drive down the drain. Arresting these people is far more important than the Constitution. And let's don't forget special detention powers. The police need to be able to hold anyone suspected of this for at least 1 week before they are arraigned, due to the nature of computer investigations and all.

America land of the "free" and home of the COP.
Score
November 28, 2011 11:33:00 AM

I bet with all the new cops and prisons and agencies this will create that Obama can call it a stimulus. And don't forget that people in prison aren't counted as unemployed.
Score
November 28, 2011 11:59:31 AM

JOSHSKORNSoftware pirating will NEVER be full-proof. Period. They just need to stop trying.Unless we all go to a cloud, then maybe it'll happen. But we're years ahead of that. For God Sakes, some people still have DIAL-UP!!!

you mean years behind?
Score
November 28, 2011 12:05:09 PM

SOPA/PIPA will be the death of Freedom.The Piracy issue is not the issue but taking full control of the Internet by the Government is and it is to scary for me.We will go the direction of a China or a Russia if we do not stop these Bills.
I HATE THIS GOVERNMENT !!!
Wait for the Spring 2012 Washington cause then I think we will all rise up to visit your lovely Congress.
And in 2012 whoever votes for this should be not voted for nor should their corrupt Parties.
SOPA/PIPA equals violation of our basic US Rights
Score
November 28, 2011 12:21:06 PM

Its not piracy they are concerned with.

Its prevalent in the IT industry to make archival and images of software we deploy. You never want to use the originals. We tend to use imaging software to image our desktops/servers. Would this law make that illegal because we do not have a separate disk per machine despite having a site/corporate license.

They could make it illegal for average users to make archival copies of their software at home too.

Score
November 28, 2011 12:32:41 PM

spookymanIts not piracy they are concerned with.Its prevalent in the IT industry to make archival and images of software we deploy. You never want to use the originals. We tend to use imaging software to image our desktops/servers. Would this law make that illegal because we do not have a separate disk per machine despite having a site/corporate license.They could make it illegal for average users to make archival copies of their software at home too.

I doubt that would keep us from pushing a new image or updates onto our poor unsuspecting users :)  If you have a site/corporate license you need the ability to tailor it for your users or what good is the operating system or other software you are using? I think at least microsoft sees this and they also know they make alot of money from this. I have 30 systems to reimage and get on the network next week. It's gonna suck, but at least I don't have much in the way of configuration changes to make.
Score
Anonymous
November 28, 2011 1:10:21 PM

These companies force "piracy" on themselves.
I live in the Bahamas which the US for most purposes incorrectly places as a "Latin American Country"
even though we only speak english here and are less than 150 miles from Florida. So for many years now we have not been able to sign up and PAY for content services such as DSS, Netflix, Hulu etc... because we are not in America, so how did they expect us to get our media content other than piracy ? They finally opened up NetFlix to us about 2 months ago, guess what though its a watered down Latin american Version with a number of movies only available in Spanish which were originally English films and that is the only company to even go far enough to let us have that much access yet.
Now the gaming industry is completely out of their mind, they want you to pay for a game sight unseen before release on the hopes it might be good which the majority of times the major Game industry companies screw up badly and only if you buy the prerelease you get to play the demo, the demo as I remember it was supposed to be a free enticement to make you want to purchase the game. It seems to me many of the major game makers realised that when they made a crappy game if they let you play a demo before buying the game you wouldnt buy it would you, so now they dont let you try it before you buy it. Yet again what choice are you giving your consumers?
What is wrong with this industry.
Score
November 28, 2011 3:26:30 PM

If you compromise privacy in order to spy on filesharers, you're guaranteed to comprimise legitamate corporate commuminications.

Anyone working in network security will be happy if this passes. They'll have to close all the holes this will create in the corporate environment. It will also mean that people will only be able to conduct legitimate communications in the office. No more work related emails from home to deal with issues outside of working hours.
Score
November 28, 2011 11:06:28 PM

smelly_feetIf you compromise privacy in order to spy on filesharers, you're guaranteed to comprimise legitamate corporate commuminications. Anyone working in network security will be happy if this passes. They'll have to close all the holes this will create in the corporate environment. It will also mean that people will only be able to conduct legitimate communications in the office. No more work related emails from home to deal with issues outside of working hours.

Nope. Offices are just as unsafe as home PCs and smartphones. Key-based encryption as it is doesn't help either. Actually the internet is a public network ran by private companies so nothing prevents them from opening your data packets and do whatever they want. Even the OS (eg. NSA backdoor in all Windows versions since NT 4.0 SP5) can be the source of data leaks.
Score
November 30, 2011 3:21:27 PM

Boy Scouts of America?
Score
Anonymous
January 20, 2012 7:43:58 PM

a basic economic principle that many media companies have forgotten is:

given a reasonable alternative, the average rational consumer will not engage in illegal activity.

mega media corporations have forgotten the whole cause and effect nature of piracy. lets take the turn of the millennium for example.

In the early 2000's internet piracy began to prosper. but what caused this? if one could remember there was a point in time, where the prices of audio CD's were slowly rising and becoming more expensive. this was the age of CD stores. ultimately what happened was that the price CD's were no longer acceptable to a small portion of the consumer population, and the tech savvy consumers started to pirate the music. as the music companies caught onto this trend, they raised the price of music and thus the population of pirate increased.

finally apple came out with the Itunes music platform, as and the platform flourished, the prices of music came down( albeit only in itunes store). at this point in time, we notice an interesting psychological phenomenon. suddenly at about $0.99 a song, the vast majority of consumers preferred to buy songs and have a legal ownership of the music that the liked, rather than pirating. in some cases they would demo via pirating, and then buy the songs. ( more on this later)

apple was smart in two ways. one they identified that the music industry had a serious demand for affordable music, and that the music had to be easily accessible. the second way was that no one was targeting this huge demand, and the result was that apple's Itunes platform quickly became one of the leading music distribution and entertainment platforms.

unfortunately by this time pirating had already flourished, and had been around long enough that it had become culturally ingrained. nowadays the popular sentiment is if it is too hard to obtain pirate it until one can obtain it legally. generally most people want easy and affordable access to to the content that they want. the demand is there, but the industry is begin pigheaded and stupid in their approach to their market.

case and point: netflix's extreme growth before their contract expired, and how it has become hamstrung by its new contract.(
Score
!