Sonic MyDVD, Windows Media Center and SP2

I use (or at least used to use) Sonic MyDVD to edit
television recordings captured by Windows Media Center.
Since I updated with SP2, every time I try to open a
recoded program with MyDVD, I get a message that:
"You need to update Windows Media Center Edition if you
wish to burn your TV shows to a DVD.You will be unable to
use the Get Recorded TV Shows feature until you install
the update." It then gives the link to the windows
update site.

I have done both express and custom updates (since the
SP2 installation) through the link, but nothing has fixed
the problem. Does anyone have any thoughts?
4 answers Last reply
More about sonic mydvd windows media center

    It seesm the problem is in MyDVD and the error message is caused due to
    sloppy checking for current version of files etc. With SP2 many system DLLs
    get updated. These are backward compatible and most software should just
    work. However if a software tries to be half clever and checks for the
    version number in the form of

    expected_version == 2.345

    rather than

    expected_version >= 2.345

    It will break when the DLL gets updated somehow.

    Same sort of check is made it seems in a Power toy (Movie Screen Saver)
    which insists one needs Windows Media Payer 9 even when one has 10.

    --
    Rehan
    www.rehanfx.org - get more effects and transitions for movie maker

    "Rad2Dude" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I use (or at least used to use) Sonic MyDVD to edit
    > television recordings captured by Windows Media Center.
    > Since I updated with SP2, every time I try to open a
    > recoded program with MyDVD, I get a message that:
    > "You need to update Windows Media Center Edition if you
    > wish to burn your TV shows to a DVD.You will be unable to
    > use the Get Recorded TV Shows feature until you install
    > the update." It then gives the link to the windows
    > update site.
    >
    > I have done both express and custom updates (since the
    > SP2 installation) through the link, but nothing has fixed
    > the problem. Does anyone have any thoughts?

    "Rehan" <rehan@nospamntlworld.com> wrote in
    I have the same problem with MyDVD. Understanding that the problem is what
    you say below, how do you fix it? Hugh

    > It seesm the problem is in MyDVD and the error message is caused due to
    > sloppy checking for current version of files etc. With SP2 many system
    > DLLs get updated. These are backward compatible and most software
    > should just work. However if a software tries to be half clever and
    > checks for the version number in the form of
    >
    > expected_version == 2.345
    >
    > rather than
    >
    > expected_version >= 2.345
    >
    > It will break when the DLL gets updated somehow.
    >
    > Same sort of check is made it seems in a Power toy (Movie Screen Saver)
    > which insists one needs Windows Media Payer 9 even when one has 10.

    > I have the same problem with MyDVD. Understanding that the problem is
    > what
    > you say below, how do you fix it? Hugh

    Well if the problem is what I describe than it needs fixing by Sonic the
    developers of MyDVD. Or you can hire the services of a hacker to drill down
    into the binary code of your program to fix the bits... :-)

    Complain the bug to Sonic. Make a fuss. Ask for your money back etc
    This sometimes work :-D

    --

    "Hugh Epley" <hughepley@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > "Rehan" <rehan@nospamntlworld.com> wrote in
    > I have the same problem with MyDVD. Understanding that the problem is
    > what
    > you say below, how do you fix it? Hugh
    >

    >> It seesm the problem is in MyDVD and the error message is caused due to
    >> sloppy checking for current version of files etc. With SP2 many system
    >> DLLs get updated. These are backward compatible and most software
    >> should just work. However if a software tries to be half clever and
    >> checks for the version number in the form of
    >>
    >> expected_version == 2.345
    >>
    >> rather than
    >>
    >> expected_version >= 2.345
    >>
    >> It will break when the DLL gets updated somehow.
    >>
    >> Same sort of check is made it seems in a Power toy (Movie Screen Saver)
    >> which insists one needs Windows Media Payer 9 even when one has 10.

Video Media Center TV Shows Microsoft Windows XP