problem formatting second partiiton hard drive in windows xp

chirag

I tried formatting the second partition of my hard drive (volume E:\)
using the "compmgmt" utility in Win XP and it immediately says "The
format did not complete successfully". The first parition is formatted
and works fine.

I also tried it in the cmd windows (DOS) and it says "Cannot Open
Volume for Direct Access".

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Chirag

Chirag <patelc75@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I tried formatting the second partition of my hard drive (volume E:\)
> using the "compmgmt" utility in Win XP and it immediately says "The
> format did not complete successfully". The first parition is formatted
> and works fine.

Try running the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic on the drive.

> I also tried it in the cmd windows (DOS)

It aint dos.

> and it says "Cannot Open Volume for Direct Access".

Because the format didnt complete.