Hi all...

I guess this an FAQ, but I'm struggling to find an answer on-line.

My Sony MiniDV video camera has a USB port - can my PC (Windows XP Pro
with SP2 and WMM2) directly capture the video/audio signal via USB, or
do I need to have some specific third-party software to do the
capturing? Is it better to do the capture via some other method than
USB? ie., would I be much better off buying a video capture card?

Will my PIII with 512MB RAM be up to the task of capturing a real-time
signal via USB?

I'd just try it except for the fact that my Dad has the camera at the
moment and it will be a few weeks before I have it back again.

Thanks in advance...
--
SQL> select * from users | Justin Wigg - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA
where clue > 0; | http://www.dws.com.au

I'm suprised the pc isn't struggling to cope with XP without video capture,
what size is the P3? USB video capture is useless. Purchase an OHCI
compliant ieee1394 pci card for the pc. (Otherise known as firewire card) In
UK they now only cost about £15 and come with a cable as well.
You will have to be very careful when capturing, due to the low specs. HAve
a read of this to give you some hints on getting ready, some of it is a
little dated now, but in the main it all holds true.
http://www.simplydv.co.uk/simplyBB/viewtopic.php?t=2364

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media