WD Jumper Settings Q?

my 80 Gb WD sits by itself on the IDE channel.
Now, I'm getting conflicting informaiton about jumper settings.
On the drive itself it says to set a jumper on a secon row of pins from the
left(for master).
On the WD website it says however that if the drive is by itself on the
channel to
put no jumper on pins at all. So justs checking for other people's
configurations are for
WD that sits by itself on IDE channel.

Thank You
5 answers Last reply
More about jumper settings

    asdf wrote:
    > my 80 Gb WD sits by itself on the IDE channel.
    > Now, I'm getting conflicting informaiton about jumper settings.
    > On the drive itself it says to set a jumper on a secon row of pins from the
    > left(for master).
    > On the WD website it says however that if the drive is by itself on the
    > channel to
    > put no jumper on pins at all. So justs checking for other people's
    > configurations are for
    > WD that sits by itself on IDE channel.
    >
    > Thank You

    If the drive is by itself on the IDE(ATA) controller, as master,
    then leave the drive unjumpered.

    If there is also going to be a IDE(ATA) device on that
    controller as a slave,
    then you need to jumper the WD 80GB as master.

    So it needs to be jumpered only if there
    is another device on that controller.

    asdf <dfsa@sadf.com> wrote in message

    > my 80 Gb WD sits by itself on the IDE channel.
    > Now, I'm getting conflicting informaiton about jumper settings.

    Yeah, one of WD's stupiditys.

    > On the drive itself it says to set a jumper on
    > a secon row of pins from the left(for master).

    > On the WD website it says however that if the drive is by itself on the
    > channel to put no jumper on pins at all. So justs checking for other
    > people's configurations are for WD that sits by itself on IDE channel.

    What is on the drive often works, but that depends on the motherboard.

    The web site config is safer and is more strictly correct.

    Getting it wrong will just result in the drive not being visible.

    well, drive not being visible is easily correctable.
    What worries me more is that i won't get performance out of wronly
    jumpered drive as happened to be before.

    > well, drive not being visible is easily correctable.

    > What worries me more is that i won't get performance
    > out of wronly jumpered drive as happened to be before.

    That doesnt happen with that WD jumper, its
    either visible and works fine or it isnt visible.

    > "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> asdf <dfsa@sadf.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> > my 80 Gb WD sits by itself on the IDE channel.
    >> > Now, I'm getting conflicting informaiton about jumper settings.
    >>
    >> Yeah, one of WD's stupiditys.
    >>
    >> > On the drive itself it says to set a jumper on
    >> > a secon row of pins from the left(for master).
    >>
    >> > On the WD website it says however that if the drive is by itself on the
    >> > channel to put no jumper on pins at all. So justs checking for other
    >> > people's configurations are for WD that sits by itself on IDE channel.
    >>
    >> What is on the drive often works, but that depends on the motherboard.
    >>
    >> The web site config is safer and is more strictly correct.
    >>
    >> Getting it wrong will just result in the drive not being visible.

    I see. You're probably right.
    The situation with the drive working, but poorly, did happen with Maxtor.

    > asdf <dfsa@sadf.com> wrote in message
    >
    > > well, drive not being visible is easily correctable.
    >
    > > What worries me more is that i won't get performance
    > > out of wronly jumpered drive as happened to be before.
    >
    > That doesnt happen with that WD jumper, its
    > either visible and works fine or it isnt visible.
    >

    > > "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> asdf <dfsa@sadf.com> wrote in message

    > >> Yeah, one of WD's stupiditys.

    > >> What is on the drive often works, but that depends on the motherboard.
    > >>
    > >> The web site config is safer and is more strictly correct.
    > >>
    > >> Getting it wrong will just result in the drive not being visible.

Western Digital Jumper Storage