chirp sound from SATA Seagate drive

Noticed that my HP d1000e's Seagate 80gig ST380013AS 7200rpm SATA drive
makes random high pitched chirp noises.

Anybody else get this?

Diagnostics show the drive to be fine but the noise makes me wonder if a
failure is forthcoming. Im in the process of RMAing the drive to HP.

Would like opinions on the subject before I go through all the hassle.
1 answer Last reply
More about chirp sound sata seagate drive

    Previously Gonzo <r_murphree@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > Noticed that my HP d1000e's Seagate 80gig ST380013AS 7200rpm SATA drive
    > makes random high pitched chirp noises.

    > Anybody else get this?

    > Diagnostics show the drive to be fine but the noise makes me wonder if a
    > failure is forthcoming. Im in the process of RMAing the drive to HP.

    > Would like opinions on the subject before I go through all the hassle.

    Probably recallibration or large-stroke seeks. Is the drive
    temperature o.k.? (You can check that with any SMART utility,
    e.g. smartctl).

    Arno

SATA Hewlett Packard Seagate Storage