WMP crashes VERY weird

September 15, 2004 7:02:28 PM

This is a weird problem.
Happened after I installed WMP 10 beta and reverted back
to WMP 9.

So I play a video with WMP, but the video will be super
bad, almost invalid and when I try to close WMP, I have
to do a end process. However, when I do an end process,
my computer will crash altogether.

I have played with this error and the only way to play
video is to open a video with any video playing program
(Winamp, Quicktime, Real, WMP, etc.) right when the video
starts playing, close the program. The program will
freeze, but I just let it be (because end processing that
program will result in computer crashing). Then, I open
a different video program (say WMP crashed, then I open
Winamp). When I play something there, the video will
play fine. Its just VERY annoying to do this.

I have tried reformatting, but surprisingly the error
still occurs, which leads be to believe it does not have
to do with WMP 10 beta, or WMP at all. I have all my
right codecs and drivers so its not that problem.

PLEASE HELP!!!
You can email any support possible to dadoughboi@yahoo.com
Thanks.

More about : wmp crashes weird

Anonymous
September 15, 2004 10:21:53 PM

WMP 10 went final a week ago, running the final build is a good idea. The
crash would all depend on the file format video and what codec's are used in
it.

--
Chris Lanier
Microsoft MVP - Digital Media
"dough" <dadoughboi@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> This is a weird problem.
> Happened after I installed WMP 10 beta and reverted back
> to WMP 9.
>
> So I play a video with WMP, but the video will be super
> bad, almost invalid and when I try to close WMP, I have
> to do a end process. However, when I do an end process,
> my computer will crash altogether.
>
> I have played with this error and the only way to play
> video is to open a video with any video playing program
> (Winamp, Quicktime, Real, WMP, etc.) right when the video
> starts playing, close the program. The program will
> freeze, but I just let it be (because end processing that
> program will result in computer crashing). Then, I open
> a different video program (say WMP crashed, then I open
> Winamp). When I play something there, the video will
> play fine. Its just VERY annoying to do this.
>
> I have tried reformatting, but surprisingly the error
> still occurs, which leads be to believe it does not have
> to do with WMP 10 beta, or WMP at all. I have all my
> right codecs and drivers so its not that problem.
>
> PLEASE HELP!!!
> You can email any support possible to dadoughboi@yahoo.com
> Thanks.
Anonymous
September 15, 2004 10:21:54 PM

Thats the thing. It is not affected by what file format
or what video player. Any video player and any video
results in this error. I have tried WMP 10 final without
any change

September 15, 2004 11:22:34 PM

Then it would be related to your video card drivers since its not decoder
specific. Reinstall the latest version of your video card drivers.

--
> Thats the thing. It is not affected by what file format
> or what video player. Any video player and any video
> results in this error. I have tried WMP 10 final without
> any change

Anonymous
September 15, 2004 11:22:35 PM

It is not the video card driver or video card itself.
I have the newest catalyst for my ATI card and I have
tried my friend's NVdia card with the correct drivers.

!