What kind of metering is Olympus ESP meter mode?

Tags:
  • Cameras
  • Olympus
  • Peripherals
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
September 12, 2004 1:01:39 PM

I have recently purchased my first digital camera - an Olympus 765. This is
the first new camera I have bought in over 20 years so it is a big
technology shock for me.

I have some questions about the metering system in the Olympus. Also some
general Autofocus (this is my first autofocus camera) questions.

I have contacted Olympus tech support more than once on certain issues
regarding the camera and all tech support does is read the manual to me.

What kind of metering mode is the ESP meter mode in the Olympus cameras? Is
it a center weighted system? Is it a matrix system? What is its
strengths/weaknesses? All Olympus tech support tells me is what is already
printed in the manual - measures center and background separately.

This is the first time I have used an autofocus camera. I'm not sure if
this particular behavior is an Olympus thing or standard autofocus behavior.
The manual states says to decide the composition of the picture and press
the shutter button halfway to adjust focus. It then says that the AF target
mark moves to the focused position. I'm not sure what this means. If I
compose the picture with the AF taget mark in the center, why will the mark
move up/down/right/left when I press th autofocus mark?

I'm so confused. I think I'm going to go back to my totally manual (no
autofocus, no autowind, minimal light meter, 35mm)

Thanks for your help,
Ira Idelson

More about : kind metering olympus esp meter mode

Anonymous
September 15, 2004 12:52:00 AM

"Ira Idelson" <idelsoni2@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I have recently purchased my first digital camera - an Olympus 765. This
is
> the first new camera I have bought in over 20 years so it is a big
> technology shock for me.
>
> I have some questions about the metering system in the Olympus. Also some
> general Autofocus (this is my first autofocus camera) questions.
>
> I have contacted Olympus tech support more than once on certain issues
> regarding the camera and all tech support does is read the manual to me.
>
> What kind of metering mode is the ESP meter mode in the Olympus cameras?
Is
> it a center weighted system? Is it a matrix system? What is its
> strengths/weaknesses? All Olympus tech support tells me is what is
already
> printed in the manual - measures center and background separately.
>
> This is the first time I have used an autofocus camera. I'm not sure if
> this particular behavior is an Olympus thing or standard autofocus
behavior.
> The manual states says to decide the composition of the picture and press
> the shutter button halfway to adjust focus. It then says that the AF
target
> mark moves to the focused position. I'm not sure what this means. If I
> compose the picture with the AF taget mark in the center, why will the
mark
> move up/down/right/left when I press th autofocus mark?
>
> I'm so confused. I think I'm going to go back to my totally manual (no
> autofocus, no autowind, minimal light meter, 35mm)
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Ira Idelson

Hi There

I have this camera and I found the CD manual is more helpful than the
printed version as it contains a great deal more. On the CD under advanced
it states AF Mode Focus selection is based on the entire picture on the
screen. Even when the subject is not in the centre of the screen, focussing
is possible.

I tend to use SPOT which will focus within the AF target mark.

That said because like myself you are ex 35mm you may be more at home using
manual focus or ASM or both combined. Don't give up, it is a bit of a
shock but worth the trouble.

Regards

Tom
!