move windows 2003 from IDE to SATA on different motherboard

hi,
i read once that a drive with windows 2000 or later doesn't like being
moved to a different motherboard. but i have a dell poweredge 1600SC
with a fully configured windows 2003 server running on IDE, and i need
to transfer that to a dell poweredge 750 with an SATA drive. it would
be a pain to go through all the configuration again.
i think the motherboards will be very similar and windows may not even
notice the difference, apart from the hard disk controller. i plan to
do a partition copy/paste using BootIt NG from the IDE to the SATA
drive, does anyone have any tips or suggestions to give me a better
chance of it working?

the IDE drive is configured with one NTFS parition.
thanks for any help
tim

"Tim_Mac" <tim@mackey.ie> wrote in

> hi,
> i read once that a drive with windows 2000 or later doesn't like
> being moved to a different motherboard. but i have a dell
> poweredge 1600SC with a fully configured windows 2003 server
> running on IDE, and i need to transfer that to a dell poweredge
> 750 with an SATA drive. it would be a pain to go through all
> the configuration again. i think the motherboards will be very
> similar and windows may not even notice the difference, apart
> from the hard disk controller. i plan to do a partition
> copy/paste using BootIt NG from the IDE to the SATA drive, does
> anyone have any tips or suggestions to give me a better chance
> of it working?
>
> the IDE drive is configured with one NTFS parition.
> thanks for any help

With Windows XP or 2000 Pro, a repair reinstall of Windows will fix
driver differences when changing motherboards, without upsetting
your config, apps or user data. See here for example

Dunno whether it will work with 2K3 server, but it seems likely.

it turns out that the motherboard doesn't appear have an IDE hard drive
controller. it also doesn't have any power supply plugs for IDE
devices, there is one floppy disk size power plug, i guess this is for
a slimline cd drive, or a floppy drive.

i can't get an external USB floppy drive to boot (tried all bios
permutations) so it looks like i'll have to buy a dvd drive for it.

On 5 Apr 2005 01:44:45 -0700, "Tim_Mac" <tim@mackey.ie> wrote:

>hi,
>i read once that a drive with windows 2000 or later doesn't like being
>moved to a different motherboard.
It's not totally Win2k's fault. many Intel boards, for example, are a
part of the Intel® Stable Image Platform Program
http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/20030610corp.htm

Such standardization makes a migration like this easy. Your Dells may
fall into this.

>but i have a dell poweredge 1600SC
>with a fully configured windows 2003 server running on IDE, and i need
>to transfer that to a dell poweredge 750 with an SATA drive. it would
>be a pain to go through all the configuration again.
>i think the motherboards will be very similar and windows may not even
>notice the difference, apart from the hard disk controller. i plan to
>do a partition copy/paste using BootIt NG from the IDE to the SATA
>drive, does anyone have any tips or suggestions to give me a better
>chance of it working?
>
>the IDE drive is configured with one NTFS parition.
>thanks for any help
>tim

If the HW is very similar you could just plug it in and maybe
reinstall a few drivers. Otherwise a repair might be in order like
Kinell suggested. Just make a backup disk image of OS partition
before you try anything.

That is very unlikely (no ATA). Were does the CD/DVD plug into?

The mainboard does not supply power. If there are no molex, crimp one onto
the floppy power.

"Tim_Mac" <tim@mackey.ie> wrote in message
> it turns out that the motherboard doesn't appear have an IDE hard drive
> controller. it also doesn't have any power supply plugs for IDE
> devices, there is one floppy disk size power plug, i guess this is for
> a slimline cd drive, or a floppy drive.

peter

> it turns out that the motherboard doesn't appear have an IDE hard drive
> controller. it also doesn't have any power supply plugs for IDE
> devices, there is one floppy disk size power plug, i guess this is for
> a slimline cd drive, or a floppy drive.
>
> i can't get an external USB floppy drive to boot (tried all bios
> permutations) so it looks like i'll have to buy a dvd drive for it.

PE 750 by default comes with CD-ROM drive.
Can you boot from CD?

peter

"Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> That is very unlikely (no ATA). Were does the CD/DVD plug into?
>
> The mainboard does not supply power. If there are no molex, crimp one onto
> the floppy power.
>
> "Tim_Mac" <tim@mackey.ie> wrote in message
> > it turns out that the motherboard doesn't appear have an IDE hard drive
> > controller. it also doesn't have any power supply plugs for IDE
> > devices, there is one floppy disk size power plug, i guess this is for
> > a slimline cd drive, or a floppy drive.

There is a single channel IDE for a slimline CD-ROM. Not recommended
for hard disks though.

Storage
Hard Drives: 10K/15K RPM SCSI drives; 7200 RPM SATA drives

36GB, 73GB, 146GB (10K); 36 GB, 73 GB (15K) SCSI

40GB, 80GB, 120GB, and 250GB (7200) SATA

Maximum Internal Storage: Up to 500GB SATA or 292GB SCSI

External Storage Options: PowerVaultTM 22XS

Tape Backup Options: PowerVault 112T, PowerVault 114T, and PowerVault
122T

Drive Bays
2 x 1" SATA or SCSI Hard Drives, non hot-plug

Media Bays for optional CD-ROM, DVD, combo CDRW/DVD or floppy
drive

Slots
2 total: 1 x 64- bit/66MHz 3.3v PCI-X slot, 1 x 32-bit/33MHz 5v
PCI slot

Both slots are full-height and half-length

Drive Controllers
Integrated SATA controller

RAID Controllers
CERC SATA for SATA hard drives

PERC4/SC and PERC4/DC for SCSI hard drives

Communications
Dual embedded Intel Gigabit1 NICs

Intel PRO/100S Ethernet Server Adapter

Intel PRO/1000 MT Single Port Gigabit Server Adapter (copper)

Intel PRO/1000 MT Dual Port Gigabit Server Adapter (copper)

begin 666 bullet.gif
$'"@`.P``
`
end