WMP seek messed up on "copy-joined" MPGs

September 17, 2004 9:23:48 AM

Hi,
I have some mpg files I joined by doing simple binary copies with a
batch file. Before WMP 9, these played fine.

Now, the seek scrollbar runs fast, synced to only the first segment.
If I just let it go, it ends after the first segment is done. I've found
that I can seek to later segments if I manually move the thumb somwhere
farther out, but it still scrolls too fast, and ends early.

I'm interested if anyone can explain to me what changed to make these
not work? Also, and more importantly, does anyone know of a tool that can
fix these files, or split them back to their old segments, so I can rejoin
them with another tool?

Thanks, Max
Anonymous
September 17, 2004 9:42:48 PM

"Max Moor" <maxmoor@remove_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have some mpg files I joined by doing simple binary copies with a
> batch file. Before WMP 9, these played fine.
>
> Now, the seek scrollbar runs fast, synced to only the first segment.
> If I just let it go, it ends after the first segment is done. I've found
> that I can seek to later segments if I manually move the thumb somwhere
> farther out, but it still scrolls too fast, and ends early.
>
> I'm interested if anyone can explain to me what changed to make these
> not work? Also, and more importantly, does anyone know of a tool that can
> fix these files, or split them back to their old segments, so I can rejoin
> them with another tool?

The binary copy "idea" was always a bad one,
often resulting in a non-compliant MPEG1
stream. Some players had some latitude with these,
but now it sounds like WMP doesn't.

TMPEGEnc can join segments properly if they're all
encoded EXACTLY to the same params.

> Thanks, Max
September 18, 2004 3:31:35 PM

These are some free MPEG 1/2 editors: