Half Life 2 second copy question ?

Last response: in Video Games
May 7, 2005 2:24:28 PM

ust bought HL2 a few days ago, and then saw the tin special edition cheap
on Amazon so ordered that, but then started to think about whether I can
just use the newer disc as they register on Steam, cant understand if it
will make a difference if I try to use the new disc instead of the
standalone DVD one I bought with the PC

If I can just swap discs then I can get rid of the old one but does anyone
know ?

Martin
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 2:24:29 PM

Schrodinger wrote:

> It comes down to serial numbers. Each number ties in with one
installation.

Correct, almost

> You cannot have more than one installation on any PC AFAIK.

Very, very incorrect :|

Only your diskpace sets a limit to the number of steam useraccounts you
can have within one installation of Steam

Consider this
Your steam installation goes to eg
C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam

In this folder the basic steam core files, binaries etc is located

open SteamApps and you find all gcf files (Game Cache Files) installed
If only one user is created you have two folders, sourcemods and the
<yoursteamid> folder eg iamthebest or whatever SteamID you have chosen

The useraccount iamthebest can only have one copy of HL2 installed
Log in as a different user eg iamnotn00b and steam will automatically
create a new folder here etc

For each <yoursteamid> folder you have content for half-life 2,
counter-strike source, half-life 2 deathmatch and half-life (if you
have bought this game)

When you install a HL2 mod the files goes to the sourcemod folder and
is shared by all users in the installation

When you install old HL mods it needs to be installed for each user in
the half-life folder

HTH
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 5:50:27 PM

Schrodinger wrote:
> any games under that one ID are kind of tied in together.

Correct: In practise you can have a maximum of one HL Key, one CS:CZ
and one HL2 Key on the same Steam account, and the three keys is
effectively tied together with the Steam account

If you have bought either CS, DOD in a standalone package or Gunmans
Chronicle you can use this key instead of the HL key to get access to
the full backcatalog (exluding CS:CZ though)

For packages where CS is included with HL only the HL key can be used

Btw who'll be crazy enough to actually sell the HL2 game?
I have endless hours of fun messing around with the SDK and all the
mods to come, I want full value for the few dollars spend - hehe

rgds
Related resources
May 7, 2005 6:34:48 PM

"Martin C" <martin_cross@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 5i50s$mt4$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> ust bought HL2 a few days ago, and then saw the tin special edition cheap
> on Amazon so ordered that, but then started to think about whether I can
> just use the newer disc as they register on Steam, cant understand if it
> will make a difference if I try to use the new disc instead of the
> standalone DVD one I bought with the PC
>
> If I can just swap discs then I can get rid of the old one but does anyone
> know ?
>
> Martin

It comes down to serial numbers. Each number ties in with one installation.
You cannot have more than one installation on any PC AFAIK.

Check out the FAQs on www.steampowered.com
May 8, 2005 12:40:20 AM

"Peter [AGHL]" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Schrodinger wrote:
>>
>> It comes down to serial numbers. Each number ties in with one
> installation.
>
> Correct, almost
>
>> You cannot have more than one installation on any PC AFAIK.
>
> Very, very incorrect :|

I'm getting mixed up with the ID being linked with the game and selling the
game entails selling the ID without Valve getting involved (notwithstanding
it being against the terms etc.) and that therefore any games under that one

!