How to tell if disk & partitions are OK?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

I have been using PartitionMagic (for years) and now Partition
Manager. Apparently sometimes they mess up. I just had to restore the
MBR and then reboot Windows to show a partition.

I have not formatted my hard disk drive for years. How do you tell
for sure that everything is OK with the disk and partitions? Is there
a utility, or is that test part of Partition Manager?

Besides the fact that a partition had no letter assignment but was
listed in Partition Manager as showing/unhidden, what test could I
run to tell me that something was wrong, that I needed to restore the
MBR? Are there any other potential problems that I should watch out
for while using a partition manager? And how do you tell?

Thank you.
4 answers Last reply
More about disk partitions
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    I suggest you use Partition Table Doctor to resolve your
    problem.The software provides very useful functions:
    Backup partition table, Restore partition table, Rebuild
    partition table, undelete partition, Fix boot sector, etc.

    See more: http://www.ptdd.com/recoverylostpartition.htm
    http://www.ptdd.com/partition-recovery.htm

    And i suggest you use Sfdisk to manage your partition.
    Super Fdisk is a driven disk partitioning utility....

    see more:http://www.ptdd.com/manual2.htm
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Thanks for the spam, but I probably don't need another disk
    manager.

    Apparently, one of the problems with Partition Manager 2005 is on
    the reboot when it finishes its tasks and goes directly to
    Windows. At that point, restoring the MBR probably isn't
    necessary, just rebooting the system might be necessary. I guess
    they forgot that.

    So far, playing with my new disk manager, I have run into the two
    terrors when booting into Windows XP

    "Autochk program not found - skipping autocheck"
    and
    "[missing] hal.dll"

    but have worked through both of those errors, for the first time.

    I feel sorry for some people who don't dare get locked out of
    Windows [playing], it's just like the old days.


    wemaole@yahoo.com wrote:

    > I suggest you use Partition Table Doctor to resolve your
    > problem.The software provides very useful functions:
    > Backup partition table, Restore partition table, Rebuild
    > partition table, undelete partition, Fix boot sector, etc.
    >
    > See more: http://www.ptdd.com/recoverylostpartition.htm
    > http://www.ptdd.com/partition-recovery.htm
    >
    > And i suggest you use Sfdisk to manage your partition.
    > Super Fdisk is a driven disk partitioning utility....
    >
    > see more:http://www.ptdd.com/manual2.htm
    >
    >
    > Path: newssvr19.news.prodigy.com!newscon03.news.prodigy.com!newsmst01a.news.prodigy.com!prodigy.com!newscon02.news.prodigy.com!prodigy.net!news.glorb.com!postnews.google.com!z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
    > From: wemaole yahoo.com
    > Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
    > Subject: Re: How to tell if disk & partitions are OK?
    > Date: 7 Apr 2005 22:47:40 -0700
    > Organization: http://groups.google.com
    > Lines: 13
    > Message-ID: <1112939260.319714.159410 z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>
    > References: <Xns9630D1DDAD42wisdomfolly@207.115.63.158>
    > NNTP-Posting-Host: 222.212.97.89
    > Mime-Version: 1.0
    > Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
    > X-Trace: posting.google.com 1112939264 1135 127.0.0.1 (8 Apr 2005 05:47:44 GMT)
    > X-Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
    > NNTP-Posting-Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 05:47:44 +0000 (UTC)
    > In-Reply-To: <Xns9630D1DDAD42wisdomfolly@207.115.63.158>
    > User-Agent: G2/0.2
    > Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
    > Injection-Info: z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com; posting-host=222.212.97.89; posting-account=myP_Eg0AAAD62y_4WNIELWYuZuxOdeHJ
    > Xref: newsmst01a.news.prodigy.com comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage:348587
    >
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 01:37:50 GMT, John Doe wrote:

    >Besides the fact that a partition had no letter assignment but
    >was listed in Partition Manager as showing/unhidden,

    Is that by chance a very large hard drive, ie bigger than
    137 GB in size?

    If so are you aware of the "EnableBigLba" thing?

    I just recently had such a "a partition with no letter
    assignment in Windows". Sorted it out with the
    "EnableBigLba" registry hack.


    Lars
    Stockholm
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Lars@fake.com wrote:
    > On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 01:37:50 GMT, John Doe wrote:

    >>Besides the fact that a partition had no letter assignment but
    >>was listed in Partition Manager as showing/unhidden,

    > Is that by chance a very large hard drive, ie bigger than
    > 137 GB in size?
    > If so are you aware of the "EnableBigLba" thing?

    The PC-homebuilt group has gotten that question regularly.

    http://www.48bitlba.com/

    Apparently some of my problems, including the one I mentioned, with
    Partition Manager 2005 were caused by the fact that it goes straight
    into Windows instead of rebooting after doing disk operations from
    pre-Windows mode. So it just requires rebooting.

    Thanks.


    > I just recently had such a "a partition with no letter
    > assignment in Windows". Sorted it out with the
    > "EnableBigLba" registry hack.
    >
    >
    > Lars
    > Stockholm
    >
Ask a new question

Read More

Hardware Partition Storage