No access to digital device format (DV-AVI)

I'm trying to capture a Dv video tape into windows movie maker but the option
for downloading as a DV-AVI file is not active. two questions how do i make
it active and do I need to download in this format if I want to burn the
movie to DVD after editing. Hoping some one can help as WMM is so much
easier to use than the pant's software that came bundled from Sony with my
handycam
--
smy
2 answers Last reply

    Hi smy!

    Most Sony DV cameras offer two methods for capturing video -- a USB1.0
    connection and a 1394-firewire connection.

    If you want to capture to DV-AVI, you'll need to use the 1394-firewire
    connection. Movie Maker won't offer the "DV-AVI" option for the USB drivers.

    Hope this helps!
    -Kristen Miller [MS]
    This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties, and confers no rights

    "smy" <smy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to capture a Dv video tape into windows movie maker but the
    option
    > for downloading as a DV-AVI file is not active. two questions how do i
    make
    > it active and do I need to download in this format if I want to burn the
    > movie to DVD after editing. Hoping some one can help as WMM is so much
    > easier to use than the pant's software that came bundled from Sony with my
    > handycam
    > --
    > smy

    great
    thanks

    "smy" wrote:

    > I'm trying to capture a Dv video tape into windows movie maker but the option
    > for downloading as a DV-AVI file is not active. two questions how do i make
    > it active and do I need to download in this format if I want to burn the
    > movie to DVD after editing. Hoping some one can help as WMM is so much
    > easier to use than the pant's software that came bundled from Sony with my
    > handycam
    > --
    > smy

Video Windows XP