Windows 7 won't start after i upgraded my hardware.

glockshna

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
So 2 days ago I installed Windows 7 (64 bit) on a fresh reformat so it would be ready when they got here for me to just pop the new stuff in and enjoy. Wasn't quite that simple. I installed X64 and my computer was running just fine with the old hardware. The next day i get my new stuff

Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHZ
6GB G.Skill DDR3 1600
and an EVGA X58 SLI3 motherboard.

{
Upgraded from:
Intel D975XBX2 Extreme Series Motherboard
3GB DDR2 I don't know what brand or spec
and a Intel Core 2 Quad q6600
}

The problem I'm having is that when the computer gets to the stage in startup were it shows the Windows IS Starting picture with the little windows logo animation (Before the welcome/login screen) it will freeze for about 2 seconds then restart itself. Does it exactly the same every time. I can access the Windows Repair tool which just tells me to restore my computer to an earlier date (Does nothing.) The more details on the repair analysis says that windows failed to start because a patch was preventing it from doing so. I don't know what that means (Assuming that i got a virus or something nasty somehow)

From what I've seen it looks like the only way to fix it would be to reformat AGAIN (I hope :S) the problem with THIS is that the new motherboard doesn't have an IDE slot for my DVD drive so I can't install it from my windows disk. I have tried a few times to use my WD 500GB external HDD and boot from that to install it but i just end up getting "NTLDR missing press CTRL ALT DEL to restart." or is doesn't see the drive at all.

I have ordered a new drive that uses the SATA interface from Newegg but it looks like I wont get it until after Xmas, is there any way anyone knows of to get my External to work like a virtual CD drive to install windows from? I don't have any flash drives big enough to hold the installation just this external.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

TL: DR:

I need to reformat my computer and reinstall Windows 7, but I don't have a DVD drive at the moment. Is there any way I can use my External HDD as a substitute for my CD drive?

glockshna

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010

I've seen people do this and I have a friend who says it can be done. Are you sure you're understanding me?
From the limited content in your posts I can't really tell if you get what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to install windows on my internal HDD using my external as if it were the windows 7 DVD. I know you can't install windows TO the external drive if thats what you think I'm doing.

In any case I really don't want to wait until Monday to use my new hardware haha.

Anyone else have any suggestions?