jerky motion on screen with XP Professional

I have installed XP Professional on my home computer, but
I have a problem with a jerky motion on the screen in the
screensave mode and also when I play video playback on
Windows Media Player. I have purchased a new video card
that has the XP drivers for it. It is a Radeon 9600 ATI
card. My motherboard is an Intel board and I have a 1.2
Ghz Celeron CPU with 256 MB of memory. Do you have any
suggestions for getting the motion to be smooth like it
was on Windows 98 SE? I like the features of XP, but
because I could not playback videos smoothly and the
screensavers motion jerk, I have reloaded Windows 98SE. I
thought the problem might be with the new video board so I
removed the video card and used the on board video with
the same results. There must be a way to smooth the
motion. If not I'm sticking with 98 SE.

Try downloading and running this application to completely remove driver
remnants:
Uninstall all your video drivers and then run this application, reinstall
the drivers and then see how you go.

http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/

Driver Cleaner is a program which helps you to remove parts of drivers that
are left after uninstalling the old drivers. The program is for ATI and
nVidia drivers. First you need to uninstall the drivers from the control
panel than reboot and after that run the program. If you really want a good
description of what steps you should do than you really need to read the
readme file included in the zip file and installation as it contains a
detailed description step by step.
The program also fully supports windows themes and other kind of themes.

The other thing I have found is, if you are using the on-board sound and not
an independant sound card it can interfer with your video playback. Some
video tracks use 5.1 sound format and if your board is not up to running it
together with the tasks that your cpu has to run you get jerky video and
choppy sound. This can be elimanated by cutting back the hardware sound
acceleration in DirectX from full to standard or back to basic if necessary.

Report back here on any outcomes so others can benefit.