Strange Symantec Ghost Behavior

Need an expert on Ghost 7.0 Enterprise edition.

OK, this is a little tough to explain so here it goes:

I have an Emachines T2240 and when I try to roll out the factory cd
that came with it (it uses ghost 7.0) the PC shuts it self down in the
middle of the ghost operation. In effect rendering the HDD useless.

So, I took out the hard drive and put it into my HP as a slave and used
the restore to successfully ghost to the emachines 40GB HDD. Good? no
not really, when I try to boot up with it in the emachine pc it hangs
upon startup. Never passes the little white blinking cursor in the
upper left hand corner.

Now, I suspect the hard drive may be bad, so I take it out and using an
old 2GB HDD that I had laying around with WinXp already installed on it
I was able to boot up into the emachine PC.

I put the 40GB into my HP and ran a chkdsk using WinXp pro Cd, ran an
error check in windows and it still wouldn't boot up with the emachine
pc. Now getting a little annoyed, I tried to boot it up in my HP pc
and it worked fine!!! GRRRRR.

So, in summary the only combination that doesn't work is the 40GB drive
that came with the emachine pc. All other combos seem to work.

Sorry for the long post but I needed to vent a little.

L8R
T.P5.C
10 answers Last reply
More about strange symantec ghost behavior

    Still looking for some advice, anyone have any thoughts?
    Seems like the shutdown isn't just Ghost, tried to run a HDD diagnostic
    tool, and it shutdown midway again.

    Today, I tried change the IDE cable, reseating the memory chips,
    swithing mem chip to other socket, tried to ghost HDD to HDD, tried
    another cd-rom, resetting the BIOS, scanned the boot sector for
    viruses. Still no luck.

    Thanx again,
    t.p5.c

    Please reply to the group, the email addy has been spammed to death.
    I forgot to mention that in my original post.

    tokeer.port5.com wrote:
    > Need an expert on Ghost 7.0 Enterprise edition.
    >
    > OK, this is a little tough to explain so here it goes:
    >
    > I have an Emachines T2240 and when I try to roll out the factory cd
    > that came with it (it uses ghost 7.0) the PC shuts it self down in
    the
    > middle of the ghost operation. In effect rendering the HDD useless.
    >
    > So, I took out the hard drive and put it into my HP as a slave and
    used
    > the restore to successfully ghost to the emachines 40GB HDD. Good? no
    > not really, when I try to boot up with it in the emachine pc it hangs
    > upon startup. Never passes the little white blinking cursor in the
    > upper left hand corner.
    >
    > Now, I suspect the hard drive may be bad, so I take it out and using
    an
    > old 2GB HDD that I had laying around with WinXp already installed on
    it
    > I was able to boot up into the emachine PC.
    >
    > I put the 40GB into my HP and ran a chkdsk using WinXp pro Cd, ran an
    > error check in windows and it still wouldn't boot up with the
    emachine
    > pc. Now getting a little annoyed, I tried to boot it up in my HP pc
    > and it worked fine!!! GRRRRR.
    >
    > So, in summary the only combination that doesn't work is the 40GB
    drive
    > that came with the emachine pc. All other combos seem to work.
    >
    > Sorry for the long post but I needed to vent a little.
    >
    > L8R
    > T.P5.C

    On 11 Apr 2005 21:54:23 -0700, "tokeer.port5.com"
    <YankeesFan@tokeer.port5.com> wrote:

    >Still looking for some advice, anyone have any thoughts?
    >Seems like the shutdown isn't just Ghost, tried to run a HDD diagnostic
    >tool, and it shutdown midway again.
    >
    >Today, I tried change the IDE cable, reseating the memory chips,
    >swithing mem chip to other socket, tried to ghost HDD to HDD, tried
    >another cd-rom, resetting the BIOS, scanned the boot sector for
    >viruses. Still no luck.

    What does SMART tell you? You can read it with Everest which is free for
    home users: http://www.lavalys.com/

    If the hdd maker's diagnostic shuts down, then it's probably bad though.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    Thanx for your reply Rod & Michael,

    Today I ruled out the 40GB (WDC) hard drive, by swapping with a 20GB
    seagate. The PC still shuts down during the ghost operation. And, I
    was able to ghost another image successfully to the 40GB WDC. Still no
    luck in successfully restoring the emachine cd to the 40GB WDC (or any
    HDD for that matter)

    To answer Rod's questions, I was using ultimate boot CD which comes
    with HD diag for multiple manu, I used the one for WDC. It may not be
    the power supply however, mainly, because I tried to run the restore on
    another pc and then transplant the HDD to the emachine. I don't have
    much experience with MB, can you give some pointers?

    Michael, I need a tool like everest, that runs in DOS. Because the
    Ghost operation hangs, I cannot boot into windows.

    Tnx,
    Tokeer

    Did you check to be sure you have the latest BIOS and motherboard
    updates? Might be a motherboard/controller issue.

    On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 12:20:46 -0700, John . <john@notme.com> wrote:

    >Did you check to be sure you have the latest BIOS and motherboard
    >updates? Might be a motherboard/controller issue.

    You'd think that those would match the factory CD ghost images though.

    I wonder if Tokeer ever tried the Ghost function "check integrity" on the
    image he's trying to restore. Maybe that is the culprit. If it's corrupt
    he might be able to use Ghost Explorer to extract the contents to a folder
    on his other computer, if there are files he needs from it.

    >>Michael, I need a tool like everest, that runs in DOS. Because the
    >>Ghost operation hangs, I cannot boot into windows.

    Hmmm. Can't think of any free ones. Not much call for DOS these days. I
    use a Windows PE disc mostly myself. There is the old MSD program that
    used to come with DOS. Might be able to get it at bootdisk.com

    --

    tokeer.port5.com <YankeesFan@tokeer.port5.com> wrote in message

    > Still looking for some advice, anyone have any thoughts?

    Looks like a hardware problem, particular the bit just below.

    > Seems like the shutdown isn't just Ghost, tried to run
    > a HDD diagnostic tool, and it shutdown midway again.

    Which HDD diag did you get that with ?

    > Today, I tried change the IDE cable, reseating the memory
    > chips, swithing mem chip to other socket, tried to ghost
    > HDD to HDD, tried another cd-rom, resetting the BIOS,
    > scanned the boot sector for viruses. Still no luck.

    Still no luck with what exactly ? Presumably with restoring
    from the CD with the 40G drive in the emachine.

    If thats the case, you could try a new power supply.
    It may be failing under the load of the full restore and diag.

    If it isnt that, it isnt that easy to prove where the fault is
    unless you can swap the motherboard for a known good
    one. Does the motherboard have visibly bad caps ? These
    are the blue or black usually, plastic coated post like things
    sticking up from the motherboard vertically. If any of these
    have bulging away from their proper cylindrical shape or have
    bulging tops rather than the correct flat tops, it could be that.

    > Thanx for your reply Rod & Michael,

    > Today I ruled out the 40GB (WDC) hard drive, by swapping
    > with a 20GB seagate. The PC still shuts down during the ghost
    > operation. And, I was able to ghost another image successfully
    > to the 40GB WDC. Still no luck in successfully restoring the
    > emachine cd to the 40GB WDC (or any HDD for that matter)

    > To answer Rod's questions, I was using ultimate boot CD which
    > comes with HD diag for multiple manu, I used the one for WDC.

    OK, looks very like a hardware problem.

    And it clearly isnt just some quirk with ghost and that motherboard
    when two completely different apps produce that shutdown.

    > It may not be the power supply however, mainly, because I tried to run
    > the restore on another pc and then transplant the HDD to the emachine.

    That may well just be a separate problem.

    The main reason for changing the power supply is that
    its a lot cheaper to try that than the motherboard.

    > I don't have much experience with MB, can you give some pointers?

    There are really only those two possibilitys. Look for visibly bad
    caps like I suggested, or try swapping it for a known good one.

    > Michael, I need a tool like everest, that runs in DOS. Because
    > the Ghost operation hangs, I cannot boot into windows.

    Trouble is that you need to monitor the SMART temp
    during the operation that causes the shutdown and
    that just isnt possible with single tasking DOS.

    Havent noticed any TSR type SMART monitor and
    it wouldnt be trivial to use it with ghost anyway.

    Hi guys,

    All hardware is factory, So updates shouldn't be a factor here.
    I did do an intergrity check on the ghost images, mainly, to see if pc
    shuts down (which it didn't)
    I do have my own license for ghost explorer, but I need to restore the
    entire OS.

    The weird part of this experiment is that I was able to boot up with a
    2GB quantum HDD.
    I mentioned that I ran chkdsk using my HP, last night I tried it within
    the emachine, and was asked for admin password !! (after I restored
    using my HP)

    Starting to run out of ideas, my next step is to try a clean install of
    Win xp and hope that it doesn't bomb.

    Thanx for your ideas, and keep 'em coming.
    Tokeer.port5.com

    although I couldn't find the root hardware problem, I was able to do a
    clean install of win xp sp2 successfully. Weird huh? I will try to
    ghost it over the weekend.

    > although I couldn't find the root hardware problem, I was able
    > to do a clean install of win xp sp2 successfully. Weird huh?

    Thats sort of problem can be very sensitive to what you do.

    > I will try to ghost it over the weekend.

    Thats the most useful test, ghost that to CD and try
    restoring that from CD and see if that still falls over.

    Its unlikely that the shutdown when running the WD diag is
    irrelevant, thats the evidence that its a hardware problem.

Hard Drives eMachines Storage