Seagate 160 gig reading 120

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
April 10, 2005 7:08:28 PM

The book mentions this inside and out, but it says to update windows to
service pack 2 and have the latest drivers. Still no luck. The boot disk
from seagate formats it at 160, but windows only sees 120. Since WXP pro
already formatted to NTFS. Of course WXP pro was not service pack anything
at the time. It wouldn't take the drive with the seagate format no matter
what I tried, so it formatted it to NTFS 120 and now it's a 120. I realize
it's too late to change. Anyone have any suggestions, so that when I format
next time, I can get windows to accept the 160 and not make it 120?
Joe
April 10, 2005 11:07:36 PM

> The book mentions this inside and out, but it says to update windows to
> service pack 2 and have the latest drivers. Still no luck. The boot disk
> from seagate formats it at 160, but windows only sees 120. Since WXP pro
> already formatted to NTFS. Of course WXP pro was not service pack anything
> at the time. It wouldn't take the drive with the seagate format no matter
> what I tried, so it formatted it to NTFS 120 and now it's a 120. I realize
> it's too late to change. Anyone have any suggestions, so that when I
format
> next time, I can get windows to accept the 160 and not make it 120?
> Joe

You have a few options:
1. Make multiple partitions
2. Use boot CD with slipstreamed XP SP1 or SP2
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 11, 2005 1:20:23 PM

Woobie <???????@???????.com> wrote in message

> The book mentions this inside and out, but it says to update windows to
> service pack 2 and have the latest drivers. Still no luck. The boot disk from
> seagate formats it at 160, but windows only sees 120. Since WXP pro already
> formatted to NTFS. Of course WXP pro was not service pack anything at the
> time. It wouldn't take the drive with the seagate format no matter what I
> tried, so it formatted it to NTFS 120 and now it's a 120. I realize it's too
> late to change.

No its not, you can wipe the drive and
format it again and you should get 160 now.

> Anyone have any suggestions, so that when I format next time, I can get
> windows to accept the 160 and not make it 120?

It just happens fine with XP SP2 installed. I did one the other day.
a b G Storage
April 11, 2005 4:15:42 PM

"Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
>> The book mentions this inside and out, but it says to update windows to
>> service pack 2 and have the latest drivers. Still no luck. The boot disk
>> from seagate formats it at 160, but windows only sees 120. Since WXP pro
>> already formatted to NTFS. Of course WXP pro was not service pack anything
>> at the time. It wouldn't take the drive with the seagate format no matter
>> what I tried, so it formatted it to NTFS 120 and now it's a 120. I realize
>> it's too late to change. Anyone have any suggestions, so that when I
> format
>> next time, I can get windows to accept the 160 and not make it 120?

> You have a few options:
> 1. Make multiple partitions

Doesnt help with that problem, it applys
to the physical drive, not the partition.

> 2. Use boot CD with slipstreamed XP SP1 or SP2

You dont need a boot CD, just XP with SP2 applied is fine.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 11, 2005 8:05:44 PM

"Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3bu4u7F6jeqbpU1@individual.net
> "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> > > The book mentions this inside and out, but it says to update windows to
> > > service pack 2 and have the latest drivers. Still no luck. The boot disk
> > > from seagate formats it at 160, but windows only sees 120. Since WXP pro
> > > already formatted to NTFS. Of course WXP pro was not service pack anything
> > > at the time. It wouldn't take the drive with the seagate format no matter
> > > what I tried, so it formatted it to NTFS 120 and now it's a 120. I realize
> > > it's too late to change. Anyone have any suggestions, so that when I format
> > > next time, I can get windows to accept the 160 and not make it 120?
>
> > You have a few options:
> > 1. Make multiple partitions
>
> Doesnt help with that problem,

It can if you add the extended partition after XP SP1/2 is up.

> it applys to the physical drive, not the partition.

Right.
Don't do the extended before XP SP1/2 is up or the extended will be
top limited by 137GB.

> > 2. Use boot CD with slipstreamed XP SP1 or SP2
>
> You dont need a boot CD, just XP with SP2 applied is fine.

Which obviously you don't have if you are installing it from fresh.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 11, 2005 9:57:27 PM

Well, I'm looking at this option for the weekend, and making a bootdisk only
allows an MS-DOS boot disk to be made. Booting it does nothing but show a
dos prompt. Sorry I'm a retard, but can you tell me exactly how to get my
system formatted under Windows XP pro with service pack 2? A step by step
approach would help. I looked up slipstreaming but there has got to be an
easier way. Please let me know. Remember, I'm not very good at this. Should
I use the windows XP pro CD to boot from and reformat? Will it format to 160
or will it just do 120 again? Will the XP cd know that I have SP 2
installed. WHich is the easiest way to make sure my HD is wiped with SP2 and
the drive comes up as 160?
You guys/gals have been great. I plan on doing it this weekend.
Joe

> Woobie <???????@???????.com> wrote in message
>
>> The book mentions this inside and out, but it says to update windows to
>> service pack 2 and have the latest drivers. Still no luck. The boot disk
>> from seagate formats it at 160, but windows only sees 120. Since WXP pro
>> already formatted to NTFS. Of course WXP pro was not service pack
>> anything at the time. It wouldn't take the drive with the seagate format
>> no matter what I tried, so it formatted it to NTFS 120 and now it's a
>> 120. I realize it's too late to change.
>
> No its not, you can wipe the drive and
> format it again and you should get 160 now.
>
>> Anyone have any suggestions, so that when I format next time, I can get
>> windows to accept the 160 and not make it 120?
>
> It just happens fine with XP SP2 installed. I did one the other day.

April 12, 2005 3:08:01 AM

Slipstreaming is the easier way...
http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm
http://www.petri.co.il/windows_2000_xp_sp_slipstreaming...
You may use Autostreamer also:
http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/using_autostreamer/u...

Some people claim that this is easier, but I doubt it:
http://groups.google.ca/groups?hl=en&lr=&selm=111161325...

> Well, I'm looking at this option for the weekend, and making a bootdisk
only
> allows an MS-DOS boot disk to be made. Booting it does nothing but show a
> dos prompt. Sorry I'm a retard, but can you tell me exactly how to get my
> system formatted under Windows XP pro with service pack 2? A step by step
> approach would help. I looked up slipstreaming but there has got to be an
> easier way. Please let me know. Remember, I'm not very good at this.
Should
> I use the windows XP pro CD to boot from and reformat? Will it format to
160
> or will it just do 120 again? Will the XP cd know that I have SP 2
> installed. WHich is the easiest way to make sure my HD is wiped with SP2
and
> the drive comes up as 160?
> You guys/gals have been great. I plan on doing it this weekend.
> Joe
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 12, 2005 4:31:08 PM

Folkert Rienstra <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message
> Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote
>> Peter <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote

>>> You have a few options:
>>> 1. Make multiple partitions

>> Doesnt help with that problem,

> It can if you add the extended partition after XP SP1/2 is up.

Nope.

>> it applys to the physical drive, not the partition.

> Right.
> Don't do the extended before XP SP1/2 is up
> or the extended will be top limited by 137GB.

Doesnt apply to the new 160GB drive, stupid.

>>> 2. Use boot CD with slipstreamed XP SP1 or SP2

>> You dont need a boot CD, just XP with SP2 applied is fine.

> Which obviously you don't have if you are installing it from fresh.

Wrong again. You just slipstream SP2 onto the
distribution before you install from scratch, stupid.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 12, 2005 4:44:41 PM

Woobie <???????@???????.com> wrote in message

> Well, I'm looking at this option for the weekend, and making a bootdisk only
> allows an MS-DOS boot disk to be made. Booting it does nothing but show a dos
> prompt.

You should be making a new XP CD with SP2 slipstreamed
onto the original XP CD, not making an MS-DOS boot floppy.

> Sorry I'm a retard, but can you tell me exactly how to get my system formatted
> under Windows XP pro with service pack 2?

You only need to do this to get the original 160 drive seen
as 160. Not if you are just adding an extra 160 drive and
are happy to use the original 160 at its current size of 120.

> A step by step approach would help.

Thats the way to do it, make a slipstreamed CD and install from
scratch using that if you want to see the full 160 with the original drive.

> I looked up slipstreaming but there has got to be an easier way.

Its not as hard as it looks, its surprisingly easy. In spades with
http://www.autopatcher.com/autostreamer.html

> Please let me know. Remember, I'm not very good at this. Should I use the
> windows XP pro CD to boot from and reformat?

No, you should make a slipstreamed XP
pro CD and do a clean install using that.

> Will it format to 160

If its a slipsteamed SP2 onto the original XP CD.

> or will it just do 120 again?

Yes, if you dont slipstream SP2.

> Will the XP cd know that I have SP 2 installed.

Nope, thats why you slipstream, so
what you install is XP with SP2 applied.

> WHich is the easiest way to make sure my HD is wiped with SP2 and the drive
> comes up as 160?

Make a slipsteamed XP SP2 CD and install using that.

> You guys/gals have been great. I plan on doing it this weekend.

> "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Woobie <???????@???????.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> The book mentions this inside and out, but it says to update windows to
>>> service pack 2 and have the latest drivers. Still no luck. The boot disk
>>> from seagate formats it at 160, but windows only sees 120. Since WXP pro
>>> already formatted to NTFS. Of course WXP pro was not service pack anything
>>> at the time. It wouldn't take the drive with the seagate format no matter
>>> what I tried, so it formatted it to NTFS 120 and now it's a 120. I realize
>>> it's too late to change.
>>
>> No its not, you can wipe the drive and
>> format it again and you should get 160 now.
>>
>>> Anyone have any suggestions, so that when I format next time, I can get
>>> windows to accept the 160 and not make it 120?
>>
>> It just happens fine with XP SP2 installed. I did one the other day.

Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 12, 2005 10:11:05 PM

Thanks to all. When I get some time, I will try slipstreaming. After this
weekend, I'll let you know how it goes.
Joe
> Slipstreaming is the easier way...
> http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm
> http://www.petri.co.il/windows_2000_xp_sp_slipstreaming...
> You may use Autostreamer also:
> http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/using_autostreamer/u...
>
> Some people claim that this is easier, but I doubt it:
> http://groups.google.ca/groups?hl=en&lr=&selm=111161325...
>
>> Well, I'm looking at this option for the weekend, and making a bootdisk
> only
>> allows an MS-DOS boot disk to be made. Booting it does nothing but show a
>> dos prompt. Sorry I'm a retard, but can you tell me exactly how to get my
>> system formatted under Windows XP pro with service pack 2? A step by step
>> approach would help. I looked up slipstreaming but there has got to be an
>> easier way. Please let me know. Remember, I'm not very good at this.
> Should
>> I use the windows XP pro CD to boot from and reformat? Will it format to
> 160
>> or will it just do 120 again? Will the XP cd know that I have SP 2
>> installed. WHich is the easiest way to make sure my HD is wiped with SP2
> and
>> the drive comes up as 160?
>> You guys/gals have been great. I plan on doing it this weekend.
>> Joe

Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 13, 2005 4:23:51 AM

"Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3c0q7eF6ehgtmU1@individual.net
> Folkert Rienstra <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message news:425b1792$0$78589$892e7fe2@authen.white.readfreenews.net...
> > Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote
> > > Peter <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote

> > > Doesnt help with that problem,
>
> > It can if you add the extended partition after XP SP1/2 is up.
>
> Nope.

Clueless, as usual.

> > > it applys to the physical drive, not the partition.
>
> > Right.
> > Don't do the extended before XP SP1/2 is up
> > or the extended will be top limited by 137GB.
>
> Doesnt apply to the new 160GB drive, stupid.

Yes it does, 'stupid'. Obviously it is the only drive.
No running XP SP1or2 to format *itself*.
No slipstreamed XP install on the drive either other than on
a smaller than or equal to 137GB partition, so you need the
boot CD with slipstreamed SP1 or SP2 to go around that.

> > > You dont need a boot CD, just XP with SP2 applied is fine.
>
> > Which obviously you don't have if you are installing it from fresh.
>
> Wrong again. You just slipstream SP2 onto the
> distribution before you install from scratch, stupid.

What distribution, 'stupid'.
'Even you should be able to manage a more viable troll than that pathetic effort,
child'. 'Keep desperately digging, child. You'll be out in Iceland any day now'.
Try and avoid the geysers.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 13, 2005 4:51:17 AM

"Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message news:mYG6e.2881$MZ2.473851@news20.bellglobal.com

> Slipstreaming is the easier way...

From the harddrive, yes, but that doesn't solve the initial NTFS formatting problem.
To avoid that chicken-egg problem you have to burn a (preferably bootable) CD.
One way or the other that requires a bit of skill, tools *and* gear.

The simplest solution would be to run it, slipstreamed and all, from the 160Gig itself,
formatted as FAT32.

> http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm
> http://www.petri.co.il/windows_2000_xp_sp_slipstreaming...
> You may use Autostreamer also:
> http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/using_autostreamer/u...
>
> Some people claim that this is easier,

> but I doubt it:

Why?

> http://groups.google.ca/groups?hl=en&lr=&selm=111161325...

Both processes require you to have some other application to fulfill the task.
At least this last one is basically about correcting the 'problem' afterwards
with only the use of possibly free software.

> > Well, I'm looking at this option for the weekend, and making a bootdisk only
> > allows an MS-DOS boot disk to be made. Booting it does nothing but show a
> > dos prompt. Sorry I'm a retard, but can you tell me exactly how to get my
> > system formatted under Windows XP pro with service pack 2? A step by
> > step approach would help. I looked up slipstreaming but there has got to
> > be an easier way. Please let me know. Remember, I'm not very good at this.
> > Should I use the windows XP pro CD to boot from and reformat?
> > Will it format to 160 or will it just do 120 again? Will the XP cd know that
> > I have SP 2 installed. Which is the easiest way to make sure my HD is wiped
> > with SP2 and the drive comes up as 160?
> > You guys/gals have been great. I plan on doing it this weekend.
> > Joe
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 13, 2005 5:00:48 AM

"Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3c0r0rF6jigdkU1@individual.net
> Woobie <???????@???????.com> wrote in message news:115m77qncd4cd1c@corp.supernews.com...
>
> > Well, I'm looking at this option for the weekend, and making a bootdisk only
> > allows an MS-DOS boot disk to be made. Booting it does nothing but show a
> > dos prompt.
>
> You should be making a new XP CD with SP2 slipstreamed
> onto the original XP CD, not making an MS-DOS boot floppy.

"You dont need a boot CD, just XP with SP2 applied is fine"
The stupid cane obviously can't make it's mind up.

> > Sorry I'm a retard, but can you tell me exactly how to get my system
> > formatted under Windows XP pro with service pack 2?
>
> You only need to do this to get the original 160 drive seen as 160.

"You dont need a boot CD, just XP with SP2 applied is fine"
The stupid cane can't make it's mind up.

> Not if you are just adding an extra 160 drive and are
> happy to use the original 160 at its current size of 120.
>
> > A step by step approach would help.
>
> Thats the way to do it, make a slipstreamed CD and install from
> scratch using that if you want to see the full 160 with the original drive.

Gee, what happened to:
"You dont need a boot CD, just XP with SP2 applied is fine"

The stupid cane can't make it's mind up.

> > I looked up slipstreaming but there has got to be an easier way.
>
> Its not as hard as it looks, its surprisingly easy. In spades with
> http://www.autopatcher.com/autostreamer.html
>
> > Please let me know. Remember, I'm not very good at this.
> > Should I use the windows XP pro CD to boot from and reformat?
>
> No, you should make a slipstreamed XP
> pro CD and do a clean install using that.

"You dont need a boot CD, just XP with SP2 applied is fine"
The stupid cane can't make it's mind up.

> > Will it format to 160
>
> If its a slipsteamed SP2 onto the original XP CD.

"You dont need a boot CD, just XP with SP2 applied is fine"
The stupid cane can't make it's mind up.

> > or will it just do 120 again?
>
> Yes, if you dont slipstream SP2.

"You dont need a boot CD, just XP with SP2 applied is fine"
The stupid cane can't make it's mind up.

> > Will the XP cd know that I have SP 2 installed.
>
> Nope, thats why you slipstream,

It isn't really a slipstream. It's a modded XP Setup.

> so what you install is XP

Rotflol. So it will format it to 120 again, not 160.
The stupid cane can't make it's mind up.

> with SP2 applied.
>
> > WHich is the easiest way to make sure my HD is wiped
> > with SP2 and the drive comes up as 160?
>
> Make a slipsteamed XP SP2 CD and install using that.

"You dont need a boot CD, just XP with SP2 applied is fine"
The stupid cane can't make it's mind up.

> > You guys/gals have been great. I plan on doing it this weekend.

The cane just bows with from where ever the wind blows.

> > > No its not, you can wipe the drive and
> > > format it again and you should get 160 now.

> > > It just happens fine with XP SP2 installed. I did one the other day.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 13, 2005 10:00:57 AM

Well, I used autostream and went through the easy compilation process and
"boom",,,,done. I tested it it and it seems to boot up nicely, giving you
all the options for format, restore, etc. I saw a remark about FAT32. Should
I format NTFS or FAT 32. Haven't formatted yet, but will this weekend. Gotta
say thanks to all. I want any sage advice you can give before Saturday.
Don't want t do something wrong and end up with the same problem.
Joe

"Woobie" <???????@???????.com> wrote in message
> Thanks to all. When I get some time, I will try slipstreaming. After this
> weekend, I'll let you know how it goes.
> Joe
> "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
>> Slipstreaming is the easier way...
>> http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm
>> http://www.petri.co.il/windows_2000_xp_sp_slipstreaming...
>> You may use Autostreamer also:
>> http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/using_autostreamer/u...
>>
>> Some people claim that this is easier, but I doubt it:
>> http://groups.google.ca/groups?hl=en&lr=&selm=111161325...
>>
>>> Well, I'm looking at this option for the weekend, and making a bootdisk
>> only
>>> allows an MS-DOS boot disk to be made. Booting it does nothing but show
>>> dos prompt. Sorry I'm a retard, but can you tell me exactly how to get
>>> my
>>> system formatted under Windows XP pro with service pack 2? A step by
>>> step
>>> approach would help. I looked up slipstreaming but there has got to be
>>> an
>>> easier way. Please let me know. Remember, I'm not very good at this.
>> Should
>>> I use the windows XP pro CD to boot from and reformat? Will it format to
>> 160
>>> or will it just do 120 again? Will the XP cd know that I have SP 2
>>> installed. WHich is the easiest way to make sure my HD is wiped with SP2
>> and
>>> the drive comes up as 160?
>>> You guys/gals have been great. I plan on doing it this weekend.
>>> Joe

April 13, 2005 1:24:41 PM

For Windows XP SP2?
NTFS.

> Well, I used autostream and went through the easy compilation process and
> "boom",,,,done. I tested it it and it seems to boot up nicely, giving you
> all the options for format, restore, etc. I saw a remark about FAT32.
Should
> I format NTFS or FAT 32. Haven't formatted yet, but will this weekend.
Gotta
> say thanks to all. I want any sage advice you can give before Saturday.
> Don't want t do something wrong and end up with the same problem.
> Joe
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 14, 2005 7:50:55 AM

Woobie <???????@???????.com> wrote in message

> Well, I used autostream and went through the easy compilation process and
> "boom",,,,done. I tested it it and it seems to boot up nicely, giving you all
> the options for format, restore, etc. I saw a remark about FAT32. Should I
> format NTFS or FAT 32.

It wont actually let you format partitions bigger than 32G FAT32.

> Haven't formatted yet, but will this weekend. Gotta say thanks to all. I want
> any sage advice you can give before Saturday.

If you have the room on another drive or a DVD burner etc,
you can minimise the effort with a clean reformat if you use
the Files and Settings Transfer wizard to move what you
added to the original install to the new clean install.

> Don't want t do something wrong and end up with the same problem.

You cant with a slipstreamed SP2.

> "Woobie" <???????@???????.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks to all. When I get some time, I will try slipstreaming. After this
>> weekend, I'll let you know how it goes.
>> Joe
>> "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
>>> Slipstreaming is the easier way...
>>> http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm
>>> http://www.petri.co.il/windows_2000_xp_sp_slipstreaming...
>>> You may use Autostreamer also:
>>> http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/using_autostreamer/u...
>>>
>>> Some people claim that this is easier, but I doubt it:
>>> http://groups.google.ca/groups?hl=en&lr=&selm=111161325...

>>> only
>>> Should
>>> 160
>>> and

Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 16, 2005 11:39:10 AM

Well, it worked awesome, and read my drive perfect after reformat. Now I
don't have to download SP2 everytime and my system setup time was probably
cut by a third. This was probably the best help I've gotten in years for
setup. You guys are awesome, and I want to thank you.
Joe

> Woobie <???????@???????.com> wrote in message
>
>> Well, I used autostream and went through the easy compilation process and
>> "boom",,,,done. I tested it it and it seems to boot up nicely, giving you
>> all the options for format, restore, etc. I saw a remark about FAT32.
>> Should I format NTFS or FAT 32.
>
> It wont actually let you format partitions bigger than 32G FAT32.
>
>> Haven't formatted yet, but will this weekend. Gotta say thanks to all. I
>> want any sage advice you can give before Saturday.
>
> If you have the room on another drive or a DVD burner etc,
> you can minimise the effort with a clean reformat if you use
> the Files and Settings Transfer wizard to move what you
> added to the original install to the new clean install.
>
>> Don't want t do something wrong and end up with the same problem.
>
> You cant with a slipstreamed SP2.
>

>> "Woobie" <???????@???????.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks to all. When I get some time, I will try slipstreaming. After
>>> this weekend, I'll let you know how it goes.
>>> Joe
>>> "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 17, 2005 8:45:41 AM

Joe and Julie <spam@goesdown.com> wrote in
message news:116294cm88f4jdb@corp.supernews.com...

> Well, it worked awesome, and read my drive perfect after reformat. Now I don't
> have to download SP2 everytime and my system setup time was probably cut by a
> third. This was probably the best help I've gotten in years for setup. You
> guys are awesome, and I want to thank you.

No problem, thanks for the feedback. It allows others who
research the problem using groups.google to see that it works.

!