9800Pro vs 6600GT

I'm getting a new AGP video card fot HL2, but only have about $150 to spend.
I think I've narrowed it down to one of these chipsets - but can't find a
head-to-head benchmark.
Can anyone help?
TIA
BXLE
8 answers Last reply
More about 9800pro 6600gt

    bxle wrote:
    > I'm getting a new AGP video card fot HL2, but only have about $150 to
    > spend. I think I've narrowed it down to one of these chipsets - but
    > can't find a head-to-head benchmark.
    > Can anyone help?
    > TIA
    > BXLE

    6600GT no question.

    --
    People of the United States! We are Unitarian Jihad! We can strike
    without warning. Pockets of reasonableness and harmony will appear as

    The Official God FAQ: http://www.400monkeys.com/God/

    Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
    www.inglostadt.com

    LymanAlpha wrote:

    > 6600GT no question.

    Agreed.
    When I bought mine, every review I read had it scored higher than the 9800.
    Besides that, I've been very happy with Nvidia products so far.

    Thanks, 6600GT on it's way
    I bought a XFX cus it has $30 rebate (zipzoom and newegg) bringing it into
    my price range (almost ;)))
    Realizing that I winn probably replace the stock HSF
    Cheers
    BXLE

    "sittingduck" <spam.no.sitting-duck@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
    > LymanAlpha wrote:
    >

    >> 6600GT no question.
    >
    > Agreed.
    > When I bought mine, every review I read had it scored higher than the
    > 9800.
    > Besides that, I've been very happy with Nvidia products so far.

    Do the 6xxx series cards support dx9 with hl2 or is it just the 5xxx series
    that don`t?

    On Sun, 8 May 2005 19:55:39 +0100, "Martin Pick"
    <mpick@mpick.karoo.co.uk> wrote:

    >Do the 6xxx series cards support dx9 with hl2 or is it just the 5xxx series
    >that don`t?

    Yes (to both statements). The 5xxx will run in DX9 if you force them,
    but they aren't fast.

    "Martin Pick" <mpick@mpick.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > "sittingduck" <spam.no.sitting-duck@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
    >> LymanAlpha wrote:
    >>

    >>> 6600GT no question.
    >>
    >> Agreed.
    >> When I bought mine, every review I read had it scored higher than the
    >> 9800.
    >> Besides that, I've been very happy with Nvidia products so far.
    >
    > Do the 6xxx series cards support dx9 with hl2 or is it just the 5xxx
    > series that don`t?

    It's only the FX (5xxx) that don't. The 6xxx family is an all new GPU.
    HL2 and Far Cry look fabulous on the 6xxx family :) in full DX9c
    McG.

    I have just a NVidia 6600 upgraded from an ATI 9200...and the difference is
    amazing...now have full detail, full res, and runs as smooth as Castrol GTX.

    O.

    bxle wrote:

    > Thanks, 6600GT on it's way
    > I bought a XFX cus it has $30 rebate (zipzoom and newegg) bringing it into
    > my price range (almost ;)))
    > Realizing that I winn probably replace the stock HSF

    I got the XFX a while back and so far it's held up nicely. It's been
    overclocked the whole time too. I used coolbits and let it "detect optimal
    frequencies" which ended up at 576 MHz core and 1.15 GHz memory.

Graphics Cards Video Games