I'm getting a new AGP video card fot HL2, but only have about $150 to spend.
I think I've narrowed it down to one of these chipsets - but can't find a
head-to-head benchmark.
Can anyone help?
TIA
BXLE

bxle wrote:
> I'm getting a new AGP video card fot HL2, but only have about $150 to
> spend. I think I've narrowed it down to one of these chipsets - but
> can't find a head-to-head benchmark.
> Can anyone help?
> TIA
> BXLE

6600GT no question.

--
People of the United States! We are Unitarian Jihad! We can strike
without warning. Pockets of reasonableness and harmony will appear as

The Official God FAQ: http://www.400monkeys.com/God/

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

sittingduck

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2003

LymanAlpha wrote:

> 6600GT no question.

Agreed.
When I bought mine, every review I read had it scored higher than the 9800.
Besides that, I've been very happy with Nvidia products so far.

Thanks, 6600GT on it's way
I bought a XFX cus it has $30 rebate (zipzoom and newegg) bringing it into
my price range (almost ;)))
Realizing that I winn probably replace the stock HSF
Cheers
BXLE

"sittingduck" <spam.no.sitting-duck@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
> LymanAlpha wrote:
>

>> 6600GT no question.
>
> Agreed.
> When I bought mine, every review I read had it scored higher than the
> 9800.
> Besides that, I've been very happy with Nvidia products so far.

Do the 6xxx series cards support dx9 with hl2 or is it just the 5xxx series
that don`t?

Andrew

On Sun, 8 May 2005 19:55:39 +0100, "Martin Pick"
<mpick@mpick.karoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Do the 6xxx series cards support dx9 with hl2 or is it just the 5xxx series
>that don`t?

Yes (to both statements). The 5xxx will run in DX9 if you force them,
but they aren't fast.

"Martin Pick" <mpick@mpick.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> "sittingduck" <spam.no.sitting-duck@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
>> LymanAlpha wrote:
>>

>>> 6600GT no question.
>>
>> Agreed.
>> When I bought mine, every review I read had it scored higher than the
>> 9800.
>> Besides that, I've been very happy with Nvidia products so far.
>
> Do the 6xxx series cards support dx9 with hl2 or is it just the 5xxx
> series that don`t?

It's only the FX (5xxx) that don't. The 6xxx family is an all new GPU.
HL2 and Far Cry look fabulous on the 6xxx family :) in full DX9c
McG.

I have just a NVidia 6600 upgraded from an ATI 9200...and the difference is
amazing...now have full detail, full res, and runs as smooth as Castrol GTX.

O.

"bxle" <bxle_loop@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm getting a new AGP video card fot HL2, but only have about $150 to
spend.
> I think I've narrowed it down to one of these chipsets - but can't find a
> head-to-head benchmark.
> Can anyone help?
> TIA
> BXLE

sittingduck

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2003

bxle wrote:

> Thanks, 6600GT on it's way
> I bought a XFX cus it has $30 rebate (zipzoom and newegg) bringing it into
> my price range (almost ;)))
> Realizing that I winn probably replace the stock HSF

I got the XFX a while back and so far it's held up nicely. It's been
overclocked the whole time too. I used coolbits and let it "detect optimal
frequencies" which ended up at 576 MHz core and 1.15 GHz memory.