cannot format partition because boot sector is protected

Last response: in Storage
Share
April 13, 2005 3:27:47 AM

I'm using Partition Magic 8.0 to format a partition to NTFS in Windows
XP. And it says something like "Cannot format boot sector is protected.
You may have virus protection on". I'm pretty sure all virus protection
is completely turned off. Does anybody know how I can find out how to
release the boot sector so it can be paritioned?

Thanks,
Chirag
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 13, 2005 2:53:22 PM

Previously Chirag <patelc75@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I'm using Partition Magic 8.0 to format a partition to NTFS in Windows
> XP. And it says something like "Cannot format boot sector is protected.
> You may have virus protection on". I'm pretty sure all virus protection
> is completely turned off. Does anybody know how I can find out how to
> release the boot sector so it can be paritioned?

This is usually a BIOS setting. Look there.

Arno
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 13, 2005 6:08:32 PM

"Chirag" <patelc75@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I'm using Partition Magic 8.0 to format a partition to NTFS in Windows
> XP. And it says something like "Cannot format boot sector is protected.
> You may have virus protection on". I'm pretty sure all virus protection
> is completely turned off. Does anybody know how I can find out how to
> release the boot sector so it can be paritioned?

You'll normally find that option under advanced chipset settings, in the BIOS.
The boot sector virus protection in the BIOS is an archaic feature and is
useless. Turn it permanently off in the BIOS.

Regards, Zvi
--
NetZ Computing Ltd. ISRAEL www.invircible.com www.ivi.co.il (Hebrew)
InVircible Virus Defense Solutions, ResQ and Data Recovery Utilities

What does Partition Magic need write access to the drive's
bootsector (MBR) for if it's only formatting a partition?
The (partition) boot sector obviously is not the same as the MBR.

!