Archived from groups: rec.video.dvd.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

I am having problems with my I/O Magic 8X DVD writer and have run out
of things to try. The drive is rated for 8X on DVD+R and recognizes
this speed. However, the speed varies greatly during a burn from
2X-8X. It is very sporadic, writing at 8X for a few seconds and then
going down to 2X. It is taking a long time to write a disk. Here's
what I've tried so far:

-Made the drive the master (previously slave). Made no difference
-Defragged hard drive (no fragmentation left)
-Checked transfer mode for IDE secondary controller. It is Ulrta DMA2 -
Ultra33
-Made sure CPU usage was not affected by other apps. CPU utilization
stays below 75% when writing DVD
-Tried different media
-Upgraded Drive firmware to latest (158)

Archived from groups: rec.video.dvd.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

8X is max speed, I would suspect you do not have a fast enough PC to sustain
8X write speeds. In fact, it should not even come close to using 75% CPU
utilization for just writing a dvd on any reasonable system. What mobo are
you using, and what chipset does it use? FOr Win2K or WinXP, you have to
check to make sure the controllers are set to DMA if available, AND that the
channel each drive is on actually running in some DMA mode...that was
unclear from your OP.
<michaeljc70@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am having problems with my I/O Magic 8X DVD writer and have run out
> of things to try. The drive is rated for 8X on DVD+R and recognizes
> this speed. However, the speed varies greatly during a burn from
> 2X-8X. It is very sporadic, writing at 8X for a few seconds and then
> going down to 2X. It is taking a long time to write a disk. Here's
> what I've tried so far:
>
> -Made the drive the master (previously slave). Made no difference
> -Defragged hard drive (no fragmentation left)
> -Checked transfer mode for IDE secondary controller. It is Ulrta DMA2 -
> Ultra33
> -Made sure CPU usage was not affected by other apps. CPU utilization
> stays below 75% when writing DVD
> -Tried different media
> -Upgraded Drive firmware to latest (158)

Archived from groups: rec.video.dvd.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Yes, the channel mode is DMA. I have a gigabyte MB with an Athlon
1600XP. I am using Windows XP Professional and Roxio software.

michaelj...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Yes, the channel mode is DMA. I have a gigabyte MB with an Athlon
> 1600XP. I am using Windows XP Professional and Roxio software.

Check to see if DLA (Drive Letter Access)is active. Caused me no end of
problems. I disabled it and full speed ahead (Nero)

Doc

Archived from groups: rec.video.dvd.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Where do you find this option?

Archived from groups: rec.video.dvd.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Just my 2 cents, but I have one of the I/O Magic 8X and a Pioneer 8X DVD
writer. Both were using the same version of Nero and would recognize 8X
media as and wrote to it as 4X. I upgraded to the latest version (full
version) of Nero and 8X media is 8X now. Maybe the version of Roxio is your
problem?

<michaeljc70@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am having problems with my I/O Magic 8X DVD writer and have run out
> of things to try. The drive is rated for 8X on DVD+R and recognizes
> this speed. However, the speed varies greatly during a burn from
> 2X-8X. It is very sporadic, writing at 8X for a few seconds and then
> going down to 2X. It is taking a long time to write a disk. Here's
> what I've tried so far:
>
> -Made the drive the master (previously slave). Made no difference
> -Defragged hard drive (no fragmentation left)
> -Checked transfer mode for IDE secondary controller. It is Ulrta DMA2 -
> Ultra33
> -Made sure CPU usage was not affected by other apps. CPU utilization
> stays below 75% when writing DVD
> -Tried different media
> -Upgraded Drive firmware to latest (158)

Archived from groups: rec.video.dvd.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

michaeljc70@hotmail.com wrote:
> Where do you find this option?

I'm running XP SP2 so not sure if it's what you've got.
Right click on the drive from explorer, and DLA should be listed there.

Doc

Dr Hfuhruhurr <mike.rew@gmail.com> wrote in message
> michaeljc70@hotmail.com wrote
>> Dr Hfuhruhurr <mike.rew@gmail.com> wrote
>>> michaeljc70@hotmail.com wrote

>>> Check to see if DLA (Drive Letter Access)is active. Caused me
>>> no end of problems. I disabled it and full speed ahead (Nero)

>> Where do you find this option?

> I'm running XP SP2 so not sure if it's what you've got.
> Right click on the drive from explorer, and DLA should be listed there.

That appears to be added by Nero. It doesnt show up with Roxio EMC is installed.

Rod Speed wrote:
> Dr Hfuhruhurr <mike.rew@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>michaeljc70@hotmail.com wrote
>>
>>>Dr Hfuhruhurr <mike.rew@gmail.com> wrote

>>>Where do you find this option?
>

>>I'm running XP SP2 so not sure if it's what you've got.
>>Right click on the drive from explorer, and DLA should be listed there.
>

> That appears to be added by Nero. It doesnt show up with Roxio EMC is installed.

not part of nero comes with something smh loves

Archived from groups: rec.video.dvd.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

I downloaded the trial Nero and I was able to burn a DVD in about 10
minutes. Huge improvement. It seems that Roxio may be the problem.