1394 not recoginizing video camera

I have a DVD burner and my digital video camera hooked up
to 1394 jacks. Now the computer won't recognize the video
camera. I have Service Pack 2 loaded, which I thought had
some fixes for that problem but it's not working. I've
tried deleting and reinstalling drivers but no luck.
Anyone run into this problem or know of a solution.
32 answers Last reply
More about 1394 recoginizing video camera

    Check in the security section to ensure the firewall is not blocking the
    firewire port.

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media
    "khickenbottom" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have a DVD burner and my digital video camera hooked up
    > to 1394 jacks. Now the computer won't recognize the video
    > camera. I have Service Pack 2 loaded, which I thought had
    > some fixes for that problem but it's not working. I've
    > tried deleting and reinstalling drivers but no luck.
    > Anyone run into this problem or know of a solution.

    Hello Khickenbottom
    Disregard the reply that I sent you. this message is only for those
    “whose Sony camcorders was not recognized by Windows� upon installation.
    However, I did see some information on the Microsoft website describing your
    problem check out this link.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;281286
    Have a nice day
    Lone5Ranger

    "khickenbottom" wrote:

    > I have a DVD burner and my digital video camera hooked up
    > to 1394 jacks. Now the computer won't recognize the video
    > camera. I have Service Pack 2 loaded, which I thought had
    > some fixes for that problem but it's not working. I've
    > tried deleting and reinstalling drivers but no luck.
    > Anyone run into this problem or know of a solution.

    LONE5RANGER,

    I am having no success whatever getting my firewire adapter(s) to
    recogognize my Sony DCR-PC1 DV camera.

    I have tried all of the fixes that I have seen on other boards/forums -
    backing down to XP SP1 1394 drivers - without success. I have tried a new
    cable and two diferent 1394 adapters - one with VIA chipset and the other
    with TI. No matter what I do, my camera is not recognized. I have no other
    Firewire device to connect, but my camera worked fine on my older systme with
    a dedicated DV Capture card (Canopus).

    The VIA chipset adapter that I used was a USB/1394 combo adapter on which
    the USB ports worked fine (not with my camera, which only has 1394 I/O).

    I am running WinXP SP2 (except for the down graded 1394 drivers).

    Any suggestion you might have would be much appreciated.

    "LONE5RANGER" wrote:

    > Hello Khickenbottom
    > Disregard the reply that I sent you. this message is only for those
    > “whose Sony camcorders was not recognized by Windows� upon installation.
    > However, I did see some information on the Microsoft website describing your
    > problem check out this link.
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;281286
    > Have a nice day
    > Lone5Ranger
    >

    > "khickenbottom" wrote:
    >
    > > I have a DVD burner and my digital video camera hooked up
    > > to 1394 jacks. Now the computer won't recognize the video
    > > camera. I have Service Pack 2 loaded, which I thought had
    > > some fixes for that problem but it's not working. I've
    > > tried deleting and reinstalling drivers but no luck.
    > > Anyone run into this problem or know of a solution.

    LONE5RANGER,

    I am hoping you might have some suggestions for me regarding my inability to
    connect my Sony DVR-PC1 camera via 1394 adapter under WinXP. It is just
    never recognized as being connected.

    I have researched all the forums and boards, and tried everything that
    others have had success with, to no avail.

    I am running WinXP SP2. I have tried 2 different known good DV cables, 2
    newly purchased 1394 adapter cards - one VIA based, the other TI based - I
    have backed the 1394 drivers down to XP SP1 versions (ensuring that they are
    not automatically updated to SP2 drivers upon boot). The VIA-based adapter
    was a USB/1394 combo, on which the USB ports worked fine. In Device Manager,
    the adpaters show up as being installed and working properly.

    I am at my wit's end.

    My DV camera worked fine on my now obsolete and cannibalized W2K system with
    a dedicated DV capture card (Canopus).

    I followed your link above to the RAM Electronics site, but the links to
    which you referred are now invalid. Besides, the 1394 info discussed on that
    site seemed to relate to Win98.

    Any suggestions on how to proceed would be much appreciated.

    "LONE5RANGER" wrote:

    > Hello Khickenbottom
    > Disregard the reply that I sent you. this message is only for those
    > “whose Sony camcorders was not recognized by Windows� upon installation.
    > However, I did see some information on the Microsoft website describing your
    > problem check out this link.
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;281286
    > Have a nice day
    > Lone5Ranger
    >

    > "khickenbottom" wrote:
    >
    > > I have a DVD burner and my digital video camera hooked up
    > > to 1394 jacks. Now the computer won't recognize the video
    > > camera. I have Service Pack 2 loaded, which I thought had
    > > some fixes for that problem but it's not working. I've
    > > tried deleting and reinstalling drivers but no luck.
    > > Anyone run into this problem or know of a solution.

    Sorry for the duplicate posting - I received an error message when I tried to
    post my 1st message indicating that an error had occured and to try posting
    again later.

    "Les" wrote:

    > LONE5RANGER,
    >
    > I am hoping you might have some suggestions for me regarding my inability to
    > connect my Sony DVR-PC1 camera via 1394 adapter under WinXP. It is just
    > never recognized as being connected.
    >
    > I have researched all the forums and boards, and tried everything that
    > others have had success with, to no avail.
    >
    > I am running WinXP SP2. I have tried 2 different known good DV cables, 2
    > newly purchased 1394 adapter cards - one VIA based, the other TI based - I
    > have backed the 1394 drivers down to XP SP1 versions (ensuring that they are
    > not automatically updated to SP2 drivers upon boot). The VIA-based adapter
    > was a USB/1394 combo, on which the USB ports worked fine. In Device Manager,
    > the adpaters show up as being installed and working properly.
    >
    > I am at my wit's end.
    >
    > My DV camera worked fine on my now obsolete and cannibalized W2K system with
    > a dedicated DV capture card (Canopus).
    >
    > I followed your link above to the RAM Electronics site, but the links to
    > which you referred are now invalid. Besides, the 1394 info discussed on that
    > site seemed to relate to Win98.
    >
    > Any suggestions on how to proceed would be much appreciated.
    >

    > "LONE5RANGER" wrote:
    >
    > > Hello Khickenbottom
    > > Disregard the reply that I sent you. this message is only for those
    > > “whose Sony camcorders was not recognized by Windows� upon installation.
    > > However, I did see some information on the Microsoft website describing your
    > > problem check out this link.
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;281286
    > > Have a nice day
    > > Lone5Ranger
    > >

    > > "khickenbottom" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I have a DVD burner and my digital video camera hooked up
    > > > to 1394 jacks. Now the computer won't recognize the video
    > > > camera. I have Service Pack 2 loaded, which I thought had
    > > > some fixes for that problem but it's not working. I've
    > > > tried deleting and reinstalling drivers but no luck.
    > > > Anyone run into this problem or know of a solution.

    OK, so now I am even further confused!

    Today I brought my DV camera and Firewire cable to the office. I plugged it
    into a co-worker's Dell laptop 1394 port. Lo and behold, the camera is
    recognized.

    I then checked the O/S (XP SP2), and the 1394 driver (as loaded by XP SP2).

    Why do you think the operation of 1394 driver is so system dependant?

    "Les" wrote:

    > LONE5RANGER,
    >
    > I am hoping you might have some suggestions for me regarding my inability to
    > connect my Sony DVR-PC1 camera via 1394 adapter under WinXP. It is just
    > never recognized as being connected.
    >
    > I have researched all the forums and boards, and tried everything that
    > others have had success with, to no avail.
    >
    > I am running WinXP SP2. I have tried 2 different known good DV cables, 2
    > newly purchased 1394 adapter cards - one VIA based, the other TI based - I
    > have backed the 1394 drivers down to XP SP1 versions (ensuring that they are
    > not automatically updated to SP2 drivers upon boot). The VIA-based adapter
    > was a USB/1394 combo, on which the USB ports worked fine. In Device Manager,
    > the adpaters show up as being installed and working properly.
    >
    > I am at my wit's end.
    >
    > My DV camera worked fine on my now obsolete and cannibalized W2K system with
    > a dedicated DV capture card (Canopus).
    >
    > I followed your link above to the RAM Electronics site, but the links to
    > which you referred are now invalid. Besides, the 1394 info discussed on that
    > site seemed to relate to Win98.
    >
    > Any suggestions on how to proceed would be much appreciated.
    >

    > "LONE5RANGER" wrote:
    >
    > > Hello Khickenbottom
    > > Disregard the reply that I sent you. this message is only for those
    > > “whose Sony camcorders was not recognized by Windows� upon installation.
    > > However, I did see some information on the Microsoft website describing your
    > > problem check out this link.
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;281286
    > > Have a nice day
    > > Lone5Ranger
    > >

    > > "khickenbottom" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I have a DVD burner and my digital video camera hooked up
    > > > to 1394 jacks. Now the computer won't recognize the video
    > > > camera. I have Service Pack 2 loaded, which I thought had
    > > > some fixes for that problem but it's not working. I've
    > > > tried deleting and reinstalling drivers but no luck.
    > > > Anyone run into this problem or know of a solution.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    --
    Treeman
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Treem,

    Was there supposed to be text in your lats post?

    "Treeman" wrote:

    > --
    > Treeman

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    I am grasping at straws here, but could this knowledgebase article relate to
    the non-recoginition of 1394-connected DV cams? What I'm asking is if the
    speed being reset to S100 could impact device recognition on a 1394 port? Or
    does that only have effect after connection with the device is established?

    KB885222
    Performance of 1394 devices may decrease after you install Windows XP
    Service Pack 2
    SYMPTOMS
    After you update your computer to Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2),
    the performance of your 1394a or 1394b FireWire devices may be greatly
    decreased. A digital camera that uses S400 speed is an example of such a
    device.

    This problem occurs if you connect a 1394a or 1394b FireWire device to a
    1394b port. This problem occurs because Windows XP SP2 changes 1394b ports to
    S100 speed when you upgrade.

    "Les" wrote:

    > OK, so now I am even further confused!
    >
    > Today I brought my DV camera and Firewire cable to the office. I plugged it
    > into a co-worker's Dell laptop 1394 port. Lo and behold, the camera is
    > recognized.
    >
    > I then checked the O/S (XP SP2), and the 1394 driver (as loaded by XP SP2).
    >
    > Why do you think the operation of 1394 driver is so system dependant?
    >

    > "Les" wrote:
    >
    > > LONE5RANGER,
    > >
    > > I am hoping you might have some suggestions for me regarding my inability to
    > > connect my Sony DVR-PC1 camera via 1394 adapter under WinXP. It is just
    > > never recognized as being connected.
    > >
    > > I have researched all the forums and boards, and tried everything that
    > > others have had success with, to no avail.
    > >
    > > I am running WinXP SP2. I have tried 2 different known good DV cables, 2
    > > newly purchased 1394 adapter cards - one VIA based, the other TI based - I
    > > have backed the 1394 drivers down to XP SP1 versions (ensuring that they are
    > > not automatically updated to SP2 drivers upon boot). The VIA-based adapter
    > > was a USB/1394 combo, on which the USB ports worked fine. In Device Manager,
    > > the adpaters show up as being installed and working properly.
    > >
    > > I am at my wit's end.
    > >
    > > My DV camera worked fine on my now obsolete and cannibalized W2K system with
    > > a dedicated DV capture card (Canopus).
    > >
    > > I followed your link above to the RAM Electronics site, but the links to
    > > which you referred are now invalid. Besides, the 1394 info discussed on that
    > > site seemed to relate to Win98.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions on how to proceed would be much appreciated.
    > >

    > > "LONE5RANGER" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hello Khickenbottom
    > > > Disregard the reply that I sent you. this message is only for those
    > > > “whose Sony camcorders was not recognized by Windows� upon installation.
    > > > However, I did see some information on the Microsoft website describing your
    > > > problem check out this link.
    > > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;281286
    > > > Have a nice day
    > > > Lone5Ranger

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Graham Hughes Wrote:
    > Check in the security section to ensure the firewall is not blocking
    > the
    > firewire port.
    >
    > --
    > Graham Hughes
    > MVP Digital Media
    > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > www.simplydv.com
    > "khickenbottom" anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message
    > I have a DVD burner and my digital video camera hooked up
    > to 1394 jacks. Now the computer won't recognize the video
    > camera. I have Service Pack 2 loaded, which I thought had
    > some fixes for that problem but it's not working. I've
    > tried deleting and reinstalling drivers but no luck.
    > Anyone run into this problem or know of a solution.-

    Hey Graham, which ports on the firewall does firewire use, and how do
    you open the ports?
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Les Wrote:
    > Treem,
    >
    > Was there supposed to be text in your lats post?
    >

    > "Treeman" wrote:
    > -
    >

    > --
    > Treeman
    > -

    Yes, Look at the thread above this one.
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Treeman,
    If you are referring to the possibility of MS XP Firewall blocking 1394
    ports, in my case I have disabled XP Firewall. I use ZoneAlarm, which I also
    disabled for troubleshooting this 1394 connection problem.

    BTW, I have logged a support call with MS. I'll share the outcome of that
    case.

    "Treeman" wrote:

    > Les Wrote:
    > > Treem,
    > >
    > > Was there supposed to be text in your lats post?
    > >

    > > "Treeman" wrote:
    > > -
    > >

    > > --
    > > Treeman
    > > -
    >
    > Yes, Look at the thread above this one.
    > Treeman
    >

    > --
    > Treeman

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    --
    Treeman
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    --
    Treeman
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    (sorry, i'm a n00b)

    i seem to have the identical problem (new dcr-pc1 dv cam, xp with sp2,
    can't get cam to register via 1394, going insane).

    are you saying that the solution is to overwrite certain sp2
    files/drivers with the respective sp1 files?

    --
    rob mafia
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Yes Rob,
    AKA, the post above yours from me.
    And I haven't a clue as to what's going on with the server! Parsing
    text, duplicate postings all around. What a mess!
    Best,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    sweet, thanks.

    i'll give this a try later tonight, and post an update... which will
    probably be another question about something i missed, can't find, etc.
    ha.

    but it's nice to know that i wasn't alone with this problem, and that a
    solution exists.

    again, thanks for the info/help.

    --
    rob mafia
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    There is now an SP2 fix from MS worth trying, see my page here
    http://www.myvideoproblems.co.uk/ProblemPages/CamNotWorkingUnderSP2.htm

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media

    "Treeman" <Treeman.1qzjd5@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message

    > Yes Rob,
    > AKA, the post above yours from me.
    > And I haven't a clue as to what's going on with the server! Parsing
    > text, duplicate postings all around. What a mess!
    > Best,
    > Treeman
    >

    > --
    > Treeman

    > Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Treeman Wrote:
    > Yes Rob,
    > AKA, the post above yours from me.
    > And I haven't a clue as to what's going on with the server! Parsing
    > text, duplicate postings all around. What a mess!
    > Best,
    > Treeman
    >

    > --
    > Treeman

    > Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260

    any idea where i can find these sp1 files:

    enum1394.sys is in C:\windows\system32\drivers

    MSDV.sys is in windows\system32\Drivers & \system32\dllcache

    i found the other 4, but don't see these listed for download
    anywhere...

    --
    rob mafia
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Graham Hughes Wrote:
    > There is now an SP2 fix from MS worth trying, see my page here
    > http://tinyurl.com/cauwx
    >
    > --
    > Graham Hughes
    > MVP Digital Media
    > www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
    > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > www.simplydv.com

    thanks for the help, but it was to no avail.

    --
    rob mafia
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    i can't seem to overwrite anything - the files automatically revert back
    to the sp2 type. even with the sp2.cab renamed and in safe mode.

    any ideas? should i just switch from xp home w/sp2 to xp pro with no
    service packs?

    --
    rob mafia
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    The fix from MS on my site does exactly what you are trying to do manualy,
    so if the fix didn't work, I doubt doing it manually will, but it's worth
    trying and seeing the result

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media

    "rob mafia" <rob.mafia.1r0zpr@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > i can't seem to overwrite anything - the files automatically revert back
    > to the sp2 type. even with the sp2.cab renamed and in safe mode.
    >
    > any ideas? should i just switch from xp home w/sp2 to xp pro with no
    > service packs?
    >

    > --
    > rob mafia
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    you're referring to "windowsxp-kb893008-x86-enu-" right?

    if so, yeah, doesn't seem to be working for me. now i'm just angry.
    ha.

    --
    rob mafia
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    hmm...

    this should work on a comp with xp pro (old version with no service
    packs), right?

    i moved everything (card/cam/programs) to my roomie's comp, and it
    wouldn't register there, either.

    could the card be defective, and still show up in the device manager as
    working properly?

    --
    rob mafia
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Should do, so card could be at fault, maybe cable, firewire port on
    camcorder, see these pages as well.
    http://www.myvideoproblems.co.uk/ProblemPages/CannotCapture.htm
    and optimising my pc for video capture.

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media

    "rob mafia" <rob.mafia.1r2dpq@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > hmm...
    >
    > this should work on a comp with xp pro (old version with no service
    > packs), right?
    >
    > i moved everything (card/cam/programs) to my roomie's comp, and it
    > wouldn't register there, either.
    >
    > could the card be defective, and still show up in the device manager as
    > working properly?
    >

    > --
    > rob mafia
  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    yeah, same conclusion i came to. i know the cable and camcorder are
    working, i'm thinking the card/firewire ports on card are defective.

    i'm hoping i can make it to the computer store before it closes to test
    the card/get a new one.

    --
    rob mafia
  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    ****ing hell, i hate this stupid ****ing camera/card/xp/everything.

    new card. same problem. cam/cable work everywhere but in my
    apartment. i doubt anyone reads this/gives a ****, but i'll probably
    be shooting the cam tomorrow with a .308 pss. **** this *******ized
    piece of ****.

    --
    rob mafia
  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    holy hell. i had no idea so many people had the same problem (just read
    3543253754 threads about the same thing). i guess i'll just sell the
    cam and get a newer one (panasonic, this time), and see if it's still a
    fubar'd situation.

    thanks for all the advice.

    --
    rob mafia
  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Well just so you know, Sopny appear to be using odd firmaware in some of
    their cams, the HC42 is well documented to not be working with Macs, some
    Panasonic models have a problem with SP2 due to another problem, but only
    PAL models.
    Perhaps mail me off list with all the details of the cam and pc and all the
    things you have done to try to solve the problem, and as much background
    info as you can, as in if it did work at one stage, etc etc...

    Graham

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media

    "rob mafia" <rob.mafia.1r631p@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > holy hell. i had no idea so many people had the same problem (just read
    > 3543253754 threads about the same thing). i guess i'll just sell the
    > cam and get a newer one (panasonic, this time), and see if it's still a
    > fubar'd situation.
    >
    > thanks for all the advice.
    >

    > --
    > rob mafia
  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    sure...

    what's your email address?

    --
    rob mafia
  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    and do you know of this same issue being a problem with sony's dcr-hc21
    or panasonic's pv-gs19, by any chance?

    --
    rob mafia
  32. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    use the link to my video problems and then the contact me button.

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media

    "rob mafia" <rob.mafia.1r9bps@pcbanter.net> wrote in message