1394 not recoginizing video camera

September 21, 2004 9:51:37 PM

I have a DVD burner and my digital video camera hooked up
to 1394 jacks. Now the computer won't recognize the video
camera. I have Service Pack 2 loaded, which I thought had
some fixes for that problem but it's not working. I've
tried deleting and reinstalling drivers but no luck.
Anyone run into this problem or know of a solution.
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 2:04:14 PM

Check in the security section to ensure the firewall is not blocking the
firewire port.

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media
"khickenbottom" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a DVD burner and my digital video camera hooked up
> to 1394 jacks. Now the computer won't recognize the video
> camera. I have Service Pack 2 loaded, which I thought had
> some fixes for that problem but it's not working. I've
> tried deleting and reinstalling drivers but no luck.
> Anyone run into this problem or know of a solution.
Anonymous
October 1, 2004 12:27:01 AM

Hello Khickenbottom
Disregard the reply that I sent you. this message is only for those
“whose Sony camcorders was not recognized by Windows� upon installation.
However, I did see some information on the Microsoft website describing your
problem check out this link.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;281286
Have a nice day
Lone5Ranger

"khickenbottom" wrote:

> I have a DVD burner and my digital video camera hooked up
> to 1394 jacks. Now the computer won't recognize the video
> camera. I have Service Pack 2 loaded, which I thought had
> some fixes for that problem but it's not working. I've
> tried deleting and reinstalling drivers but no luck.
> Anyone run into this problem or know of a solution.

Related resources
March 6, 2005 9:21:02 PM

LONE5RANGER,

I am having no success whatever getting my firewire adapter(s) to
recogognize my Sony DCR-PC1 DV camera.

I have tried all of the fixes that I have seen on other boards/forums -
backing down to XP SP1 1394 drivers - without success. I have tried a new
cable and two diferent 1394 adapters - one with VIA chipset and the other
with TI. No matter what I do, my camera is not recognized. I have no other
Firewire device to connect, but my camera worked fine on my older systme with
a dedicated DV Capture card (Canopus).

The VIA chipset adapter that I used was a USB/1394 combo adapter on which
the USB ports worked fine (not with my camera, which only has 1394 I/O).

I am running WinXP SP2 (except for the down graded 1394 drivers).

Any suggestion you might have would be much appreciated.

"LONE5RANGER" wrote:

> Hello Khickenbottom
> Disregard the reply that I sent you. this message is only for those
> “whose Sony camcorders was not recognized by Windows� upon installation.
> However, I did see some information on the Microsoft website describing your
> problem check out this link.
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;281286
> Have a nice day
> Lone5Ranger
>

> "khickenbottom" wrote:
>
> > I have a DVD burner and my digital video camera hooked up
> > to 1394 jacks. Now the computer won't recognize the video
> > camera. I have Service Pack 2 loaded, which I thought had
> > some fixes for that problem but it's not working. I've
> > tried deleting and reinstalling drivers but no luck.
> > Anyone run into this problem or know of a solution.

March 6, 2005 11:09:03 PM

LONE5RANGER,

I am hoping you might have some suggestions for me regarding my inability to
connect my Sony DVR-PC1 camera via 1394 adapter under WinXP. It is just
never recognized as being connected.

I have researched all the forums and boards, and tried everything that
others have had success with, to no avail.

I am running WinXP SP2. I have tried 2 different known good DV cables, 2
newly purchased 1394 adapter cards - one VIA based, the other TI based - I
have backed the 1394 drivers down to XP SP1 versions (ensuring that they are
not automatically updated to SP2 drivers upon boot). The VIA-based adapter
was a USB/1394 combo, on which the USB ports worked fine. In Device Manager,
the adpaters show up as being installed and working properly.

I am at my wit's end.

My DV camera worked fine on my now obsolete and cannibalized W2K system with
a dedicated DV capture card (Canopus).

I followed your link above to the RAM Electronics site, but the links to
which you referred are now invalid. Besides, the 1394 info discussed on that
site seemed to relate to Win98.

Any suggestions on how to proceed would be much appreciated.

"LONE5RANGER" wrote:

> Hello Khickenbottom
> Disregard the reply that I sent you. this message is only for those
> “whose Sony camcorders was not recognized by Windows� upon installation.
> However, I did see some information on the Microsoft website describing your
> problem check out this link.
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;281286
> Have a nice day
> Lone5Ranger
>

> "khickenbottom" wrote:
>
> > I have a DVD burner and my digital video camera hooked up
> > to 1394 jacks. Now the computer won't recognize the video
> > camera. I have Service Pack 2 loaded, which I thought had
> > some fixes for that problem but it's not working. I've
> > tried deleting and reinstalling drivers but no luck.
> > Anyone run into this problem or know of a solution.

March 6, 2005 11:13:02 PM

Sorry for the duplicate posting - I received an error message when I tried to
post my 1st message indicating that an error had occured and to try posting
again later.

"Les" wrote:

> LONE5RANGER,
>
> I am hoping you might have some suggestions for me regarding my inability to
> connect my Sony DVR-PC1 camera via 1394 adapter under WinXP. It is just
> never recognized as being connected.
>
> I have researched all the forums and boards, and tried everything that
> others have had success with, to no avail.
>
> I am running WinXP SP2. I have tried 2 different known good DV cables, 2
> newly purchased 1394 adapter cards - one VIA based, the other TI based - I
> have backed the 1394 drivers down to XP SP1 versions (ensuring that they are
> not automatically updated to SP2 drivers upon boot). The VIA-based adapter
> was a USB/1394 combo, on which the USB ports worked fine. In Device Manager,
> the adpaters show up as being installed and working properly.
>
> I am at my wit's end.
>
> My DV camera worked fine on my now obsolete and cannibalized W2K system with
> a dedicated DV capture card (Canopus).
>
> I followed your link above to the RAM Electronics site, but the links to
> which you referred are now invalid. Besides, the 1394 info discussed on that
> site seemed to relate to Win98.
>
> Any suggestions on how to proceed would be much appreciated.
>

> "LONE5RANGER" wrote:
>
> > Hello Khickenbottom
> > Disregard the reply that I sent you. this message is only for those
> > “whose Sony camcorders was not recognized by Windows� upon installation.
> > However, I did see some information on the Microsoft website describing your
> > problem check out this link.
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;281286
> > Have a nice day
> > Lone5Ranger
> >

> > "khickenbottom" wrote:
> >
> > > I have a DVD burner and my digital video camera hooked up
> > > to 1394 jacks. Now the computer won't recognize the video
> > > camera. I have Service Pack 2 loaded, which I thought had
> > > some fixes for that problem but it's not working. I've
> > > tried deleting and reinstalling drivers but no luck.
> > > Anyone run into this problem or know of a solution.

March 7, 2005 5:47:07 PM

OK, so now I am even further confused!

Today I brought my DV camera and Firewire cable to the office. I plugged it
into a co-worker's Dell laptop 1394 port. Lo and behold, the camera is
recognized.

I then checked the O/S (XP SP2), and the 1394 driver (as loaded by XP SP2).

Why do you think the operation of 1394 driver is so system dependant?

"Les" wrote:

> LONE5RANGER,
>
> I am hoping you might have some suggestions for me regarding my inability to
> connect my Sony DVR-PC1 camera via 1394 adapter under WinXP. It is just
> never recognized as being connected.
>
> I have researched all the forums and boards, and tried everything that
> others have had success with, to no avail.
>
> I am running WinXP SP2. I have tried 2 different known good DV cables, 2
> newly purchased 1394 adapter cards - one VIA based, the other TI based - I
> have backed the 1394 drivers down to XP SP1 versions (ensuring that they are
> not automatically updated to SP2 drivers upon boot). The VIA-based adapter
> was a USB/1394 combo, on which the USB ports worked fine. In Device Manager,
> the adpaters show up as being installed and working properly.
>
> I am at my wit's end.
>
> My DV camera worked fine on my now obsolete and cannibalized W2K system with
> a dedicated DV capture card (Canopus).
>
> I followed your link above to the RAM Electronics site, but the links to
> which you referred are now invalid. Besides, the 1394 info discussed on that
> site seemed to relate to Win98.
>
> Any suggestions on how to proceed would be much appreciated.
>

> "LONE5RANGER" wrote:
>
> > Hello Khickenbottom
> > Disregard the reply that I sent you. this message is only for those
> > “whose Sony camcorders was not recognized by Windows� upon installation.
> > However, I did see some information on the Microsoft website describing your
> > problem check out this link.
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;281286
> > Have a nice day
> > Lone5Ranger
> >

> > "khickenbottom" wrote:
> >
> > > I have a DVD burner and my digital video camera hooked up
> > > to 1394 jacks. Now the computer won't recognize the video
> > > camera. I have Service Pack 2 loaded, which I thought had
> > > some fixes for that problem but it's not working. I've
> > > tried deleting and reinstalling drivers but no luck.
> > > Anyone run into this problem or know of a solution.

Anonymous
March 7, 2005 6:26:45 PM

Treeman
March 7, 2005 6:26:46 PM

Treem,

Was there supposed to be text in your lats post?

"Treeman" wrote:

> --
> Treeman

March 7, 2005 6:41:02 PM

I am grasping at straws here, but could this knowledgebase article relate to
the non-recoginition of 1394-connected DV cams? What I'm asking is if the
speed being reset to S100 could impact device recognition on a 1394 port? Or
does that only have effect after connection with the device is established?

KB885222
Performance of 1394 devices may decrease after you install Windows XP
Service Pack 2
SYMPTOMS
After you update your computer to Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2),
the performance of your 1394a or 1394b FireWire devices may be greatly
decreased. A digital camera that uses S400 speed is an example of such a
device.

This problem occurs if you connect a 1394a or 1394b FireWire device to a
1394b port. This problem occurs because Windows XP SP2 changes 1394b ports to
S100 speed when you upgrade.

"Les" wrote:

> OK, so now I am even further confused!
>
> Today I brought my DV camera and Firewire cable to the office. I plugged it
> into a co-worker's Dell laptop 1394 port. Lo and behold, the camera is
> recognized.
>
> I then checked the O/S (XP SP2), and the 1394 driver (as loaded by XP SP2).
>
> Why do you think the operation of 1394 driver is so system dependant?
>

> "Les" wrote:
>
> > LONE5RANGER,
> >
> > I am hoping you might have some suggestions for me regarding my inability to
> > connect my Sony DVR-PC1 camera via 1394 adapter under WinXP. It is just
> > never recognized as being connected.
> >
> > I have researched all the forums and boards, and tried everything that
> > others have had success with, to no avail.
> >
> > I am running WinXP SP2. I have tried 2 different known good DV cables, 2
> > newly purchased 1394 adapter cards - one VIA based, the other TI based - I
> > have backed the 1394 drivers down to XP SP1 versions (ensuring that they are
> > not automatically updated to SP2 drivers upon boot). The VIA-based adapter
> > was a USB/1394 combo, on which the USB ports worked fine. In Device Manager,
> > the adpaters show up as being installed and working properly.
> >
> > I am at my wit's end.
> >
> > My DV camera worked fine on my now obsolete and cannibalized W2K system with
> > a dedicated DV capture card (Canopus).
> >
> > I followed your link above to the RAM Electronics site, but the links to
> > which you referred are now invalid. Besides, the 1394 info discussed on that
> > site seemed to relate to Win98.
> >
> > Any suggestions on how to proceed would be much appreciated.
> >

> > "LONE5RANGER" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello Khickenbottom
> > > Disregard the reply that I sent you. this message is only for those
> > > “whose Sony camcorders was not recognized by Windows� upon installation.
> > > However, I did see some information on the Microsoft website describing your
> > > problem check out this link.
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;281286
> > > Have a nice day
> > > Lone5Ranger

Anonymous
March 8, 2005 4:20:14 AM

Graham Hughes Wrote:
> Check in the security section to ensure the firewall is not blocking
> the
> firewire port.
>
> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.dvds2treasure.com
> www.simplydv.com
> "khickenbottom" anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message
> I have a DVD burner and my digital video camera hooked up
> to 1394 jacks. Now the computer won't recognize the video
> camera. I have Service Pack 2 loaded, which I thought had
> some fixes for that problem but it's not working. I've
> tried deleting and reinstalling drivers but no luck.
> Anyone run into this problem or know of a solution.-

Hey Graham, which ports on the firewall does firewire use, and how do
you open the ports?
Treeman

--
Treeman
Anonymous

Les Wrote:
> Treem,
>
> Was there supposed to be text in your lats post?
>

> "Treeman" wrote:
> -
>

> --
> Treeman
> -

Yes, Look at the thread above this one.
Treeman

--
Treeman
March 8, 2005 11:09:10 AM

Treeman,
If you are referring to the possibility of MS XP Firewall blocking 1394
ports, in my case I have disabled XP Firewall. I use ZoneAlarm, which I also
disabled for troubleshooting this 1394 connection problem.

BTW, I have logged a support call with MS. I'll share the outcome of that
case.

"Treeman" wrote:

> Les Wrote:
> > Treem,
> >
> > Was there supposed to be text in your lats post?
> >

> > "Treeman" wrote:
> > -
> >

> > --
> > Treeman
> > -
>
> Yes, Look at the thread above this one.
> Treeman
>

> --
> Treeman

Anonymous
April 12, 2005 6:30:00 AM

--
Treeman
Anonymous

--
Treeman
Anonymous

(sorry, i'm a n00b)

i seem to have the identical problem (new dcr-pc1 dv cam, xp with sp2,
can't get cam to register via 1394, going insane).

are you saying that the solution is to overwrite certain sp2
files/drivers with the respective sp1 files?

--
rob mafia
Anonymous

Yes Rob,
AKA, the post above yours from me.
And I haven't a clue as to what's going on with the server! Parsing
text, duplicate postings all around. What a mess!
Best,
Treeman

--
Treeman

June 21, 2005 11:23:33 PM

sweet, thanks.

i'll give this a try later tonight, and post an update... which will
probably be another question about something i missed, can't find, etc.
ha.

but it's nice to know that i wasn't alone with this problem, and that a
solution exists.

again, thanks for the info/help.

--
rob mafia
Anonymous

There is now an SP2 fix from MS worth trying, see my page here
http://www.myvideoproblems.co.uk/ProblemPages/CamNotWor...

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"Treeman" <Treeman.1qzjd5@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message

> Yes Rob,
> AKA, the post above yours from me.
> And I haven't a clue as to what's going on with the server! Parsing
> text, duplicate postings all around. What a mess!
> Best,
> Treeman
>

> --
> Treeman

> Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260

June 22, 2005 11:42:14 AM

Treeman Wrote:
> Yes Rob,
> AKA, the post above yours from me.
> And I haven't a clue as to what's going on with the server! Parsing
> text, duplicate postings all around. What a mess!
> Best,
> Treeman
>

> --
> Treeman

> Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260

any idea where i can find these sp1 files:

enum1394.sys is in C:\windows\system32\drivers

MSDV.sys is in windows\system32\Drivers & \system32\dllcache

i found the other 4, but don't see these listed for download
anywhere...

--
rob mafia
Anonymous

i can't seem to overwrite anything - the files automatically revert back
to the sp2 type. even with the sp2.cab renamed and in safe mode.

any ideas? should i just switch from xp home w/sp2 to xp pro with no
service packs?

--
rob mafia
Anonymous

The fix from MS on my site does exactly what you are trying to do manualy,
so if the fix didn't work, I doubt doing it manually will, but it's worth
trying and seeing the result

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"rob mafia" <rob.mafia.1r0zpr@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> i can't seem to overwrite anything - the files automatically revert back
> to the sp2 type. even with the sp2.cab renamed and in safe mode.
>
> any ideas? should i just switch from xp home w/sp2 to xp pro with no
> service packs?
>

> --
> rob mafia
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 5:46:19 AM

you're referring to "windowsxp-kb893008-x86-enu-" right?

if so, yeah, doesn't seem to be working for me. now i'm just angry.
ha.

--
rob mafia
Anonymous

hmm...

this should work on a comp with xp pro (old version with no service
packs), right?

i moved everything (card/cam/programs) to my roomie's comp, and it
wouldn't register there, either.

could the card be defective, and still show up in the device manager as
working properly?

--
rob mafia
Anonymous

Should do, so card could be at fault, maybe cable, firewire port on
camcorder, see these pages as well.
http://www.myvideoproblems.co.uk/ProblemPages/CannotCap...
and optimising my pc for video capture.

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"rob mafia" <rob.mafia.1r2dpq@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> hmm...
>
> this should work on a comp with xp pro (old version with no service
> packs), right?
>
> i moved everything (card/cam/programs) to my roomie's comp, and it
> wouldn't register there, either.
>
> could the card be defective, and still show up in the device manager as
> working properly?
>

> --
> rob mafia
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 9:01:43 PM

yeah, same conclusion i came to. i know the cable and camcorder are
working, i'm thinking the card/firewire ports on card are defective.

i'm hoping i can make it to the computer store before it closes to test
the card/get a new one.

--
rob mafia
Anonymous

****ing hell, i hate this stupid ****ing camera/card/xp/everything.

new card. same problem. cam/cable work everywhere but in my
apartment. i doubt anyone reads this/gives a ****, but i'll probably
be shooting the cam tomorrow with a .308 pss. **** this *******ized
piece of ****.

--
rob mafia
Anonymous

holy hell. i had no idea so many people had the same problem (just read
3543253754 threads about the same thing). i guess i'll just sell the
cam and get a newer one (panasonic, this time), and see if it's still a
fubar'd situation.

thanks for all the advice.

--
rob mafia
Anonymous

Well just so you know, Sopny appear to be using odd firmaware in some of
their cams, the HC42 is well documented to not be working with Macs, some
Panasonic models have a problem with SP2 due to another problem, but only
PAL models.
Perhaps mail me off list with all the details of the cam and pc and all the
things you have done to try to solve the problem, and as much background
info as you can, as in if it did work at one stage, etc etc...

Graham

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"rob mafia" <rob.mafia.1r631p@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> holy hell. i had no idea so many people had the same problem (just read
> 3543253754 threads about the same thing). i guess i'll just sell the
> cam and get a newer one (panasonic, this time), and see if it's still a
> fubar'd situation.
>
> thanks for all the advice.
>

> --
> rob mafia
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 3:05:03 AM

sure...

what's your email address?

--
rob mafia
Anonymous

and do you know of this same issue being a problem with sony's dcr-hc21
or panasonic's pv-gs19, by any chance?

--
rob mafia
Anonymous

use the link to my video problems and then the contact me button.

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

!