WD400BB Problem.

I wonder if anyone has the similar experience. Help, please.

I bought my Dell with this WD400BB (40GB) in Nov 2001. It runs quite
well through these years, until tonight. I powered it on, then heard
"CLAK-CLAK", can not boot-up. I entered the BIOS setup screen, the disk
type is unknown.

I can not believe that my WD400BB is bad, because my usage has been
very careful. But the BIOS shows that it must be bad.

What can I do anything about this disk? Can I recover any data?

Thanks.

RK

<rekaben@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I wonder if anyone has the similar experience.

Plenty have.

> Help, please.

Too late for that now.

> I bought my Dell with this WD400BB (40GB) in Nov 2001. It
> runs quite well through these years, until tonight. I powered
> it on, then heard "CLAK-CLAK", can not boot-up. I entered
> the BIOS setup screen, the disk type is unknown.

> I can not believe that my WD400BB is bad,

That noise indicates that it likely is.

> because my usage has been very careful.

Irrelevant to why hard drives die.

> But the BIOS shows that it must be bad.

Thats unlikely unless it doesnt show up
on the black bios screen at boot time.

> What can I do anything about this disk?

You could try throwing at the cat.

> Can I recover any data?

Not unless you are prepared to spend the sort of
money that will likely make you faint when you hear it.

"Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<3c8pbbF6l51g1U1@individual.net>...
> <rekaben@yahoo.com> wrote in message

First, thanks.

> > I bought my Dell with this WD400BB (40GB) in Nov 2001. It
> > runs quite well through these years, until tonight. I powered
> > it on, then heard "CLAK-CLAK", can not boot-up. I entered
> > the BIOS setup screen, the disk type is unknown.
>
> > I can not believe that my WD400BB is bad,
>
> That noise indicates that it likely is.

I mean this disk has been used for only less-than 4 year. Does the
industries make better quality disks nowadays than before? Think about
the very very old PC-XT disks I was using.

> > because my usage has been very careful.
>
> Irrelevant to why hard drives die.

There were some electric power surges in the past years, but I doubt
the PC was affected at the times.

RK

> Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote
>> RK <rekaben@yahoo.com> wrote

> First, thanks.

No problem.

>>> I bought my Dell with this WD400BB (40GB) in Nov 2001. It
>>> runs quite well through these years, until tonight. I powered
>>> it on, then heard "CLAK-CLAK", can not boot-up. I entered
>>> the BIOS setup screen, the disk type is unknown.

>>> I can not believe that my WD400BB is bad,

>> That noise indicates that it likely is.

> I mean this disk has been used for only less-than 4 year.

There will always be some failures in the first year or two.
WD is currently seeing a higher failure rate than most.

> Does the industries make better quality disks nowadays than before?

Yes, but that does not mean that there will be no failures in say 5 years.

> Think about the very very old PC-XT disks I was using.

Sure, modern drives are certainly much more reliable than those were.

>>> because my usage has been very careful.

>> Irrelevant to why hard drives die.

> There were some electric power surges in the past
> years, but I doubt the PC was affected at the times.

Yeah, that particular failure detail is unlikely
to have been caused by a power surge.

Some drives just die, thats why you should have backups.