WD400BB Problem.

I wonder if anyone has the similar experience. Help, please.

I bought my Dell with this WD400BB (40GB) in Nov 2001. It runs quite
well through these years, until tonight. I powered it on, then heard
"CLAK-CLAK", can not boot-up. I entered the BIOS setup screen, the disk
type is unknown.

I can not believe that my WD400BB is bad, because my usage has been
very careful. But the BIOS shows that it must be bad.

What can I do anything about this disk? Can I recover any data?

Thanks.

RK
3 answers Last reply
More about wd400bb problem

    <rekaben@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > I wonder if anyone has the similar experience.

    Plenty have.

    > Help, please.

    Too late for that now.

    > I bought my Dell with this WD400BB (40GB) in Nov 2001. It
    > runs quite well through these years, until tonight. I powered
    > it on, then heard "CLAK-CLAK", can not boot-up. I entered
    > the BIOS setup screen, the disk type is unknown.

    > I can not believe that my WD400BB is bad,

    That noise indicates that it likely is.

    > because my usage has been very careful.

    Irrelevant to why hard drives die.

    > But the BIOS shows that it must be bad.

    Thats unlikely unless it doesnt show up
    on the black bios screen at boot time.

    > What can I do anything about this disk?

    You could try throwing at the cat.

    > Can I recover any data?

    Not unless you are prepared to spend the sort of
    money that will likely make you faint when you hear it.

    "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<3c8pbbF6l51g1U1@individual.net>...
    > <rekaben@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    First, thanks.

    > > I bought my Dell with this WD400BB (40GB) in Nov 2001. It
    > > runs quite well through these years, until tonight. I powered
    > > it on, then heard "CLAK-CLAK", can not boot-up. I entered
    > > the BIOS setup screen, the disk type is unknown.
    >
    > > I can not believe that my WD400BB is bad,
    >
    > That noise indicates that it likely is.

    I mean this disk has been used for only less-than 4 year. Does the
    industries make better quality disks nowadays than before? Think about
    the very very old PC-XT disks I was using.

    > > because my usage has been very careful.
    >
    > Irrelevant to why hard drives die.

    There were some electric power surges in the past years, but I doubt
    the PC was affected at the times.

    RK

    RK <rekaben@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote
    >> RK <rekaben@yahoo.com> wrote

    > First, thanks.

    No problem.

    >>> I bought my Dell with this WD400BB (40GB) in Nov 2001. It
    >>> runs quite well through these years, until tonight. I powered
    >>> it on, then heard "CLAK-CLAK", can not boot-up. I entered
    >>> the BIOS setup screen, the disk type is unknown.

    >>> I can not believe that my WD400BB is bad,

    >> That noise indicates that it likely is.

    > I mean this disk has been used for only less-than 4 year.

    There will always be some failures in the first year or two.
    WD is currently seeing a higher failure rate than most.

    > Does the industries make better quality disks nowadays than before?

    Yes, but that does not mean that there will be no failures in say 5 years.

    > Think about the very very old PC-XT disks I was using.

    Sure, modern drives are certainly much more reliable than those were.

    >>> because my usage has been very careful.

    >> Irrelevant to why hard drives die.

    > There were some electric power surges in the past
    > years, but I doubt the PC was affected at the times.

    Yeah, that particular failure detail is unlikely
    to have been caused by a power surge.

    Some drives just die, thats why you should have backups.

Storage